Lunchbox Computer - ever build one?

PJeigh

Registered
Aug 17, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I'm thinking of putting together a lunchbox - mini case - computer. Anyone ever done that and have any (real) suggestions? I want to keep it small, relatively inexpensive and still able to play new PC games. (I know, I'm a dreamer).

Cooling will be an issue. Plus, even the small form-factor mobos might still be too large- start with that and, if you can find a lunchbox large enugh to mount the mobo evewrything else should be gravy.

An old, metal lunchbox would probably be best, (both for looks and for function) as the metal can do some duty as a heat sink (Lian Li aluminum cases do this too)- the trick will be insulating the metal to guarantee you'll have no grounding/arcing issues. Plastic will just serve as a big heat insulator...

So you are modding an old lunch pale into a computer? Or are you calling a mini ATX a lunchbox computer.

I am confused.

LOL... I translated this to mean "using an ATX mobo in a lunchbox case". If you're just wanting to use an ATX case, all you really need to know is that you'll pay about 20% more for some of the parts vs. the same componants in "full size" (mainly the mobo and memory, possibly the CPU depending on what you go with). I've heard that ATX-based PCs wear out a bit faster, due to higher heat, but I've never known anyone that kept theirs long enough to find out first-hand- most such people want the best they can buy that's easily transpostable to LAN- and convention-events, and hence upgrade every year or two max, selling off the used gear they don't recycle.

3943a.jpg

Best computer ever...

I always felt that Skeeter was WAY underrated.

Anyhow, back on track- I really like the look and feel of the BioStar IDEQ. For about 300 bucks you can get your case and your mobo right there then just fill in the rest.

Just go New Egg it and see what you come up with.

The awesome part about this thread is that I wasn't thinking of a literal lunch box at any point... and yes, that would completely rule to use a real lunchbox!

I did mean the small form cases. They typically ship with most of the guts minus processor, drives of any kind, graphics card and RAM.

mlvassallo... Just go New Egg it and see what you come up with.[/QUOTE said:
I am starting to not like NewEGG and other online stores for their (lack of a) return poilcy. I bought a hard drive enclosure that was complete crap (poorly made junk that broke apart when I snapped it together), and NewEGG only replaced it with the same thing, that also broke. I paid twice to ship it back before I got my money back, and then I only got the amt. I paid, not shipping. Cost me $8 to get back my $20. Had to bitch a bunch to get that, too.

ImagoX said:
Baby Kermie FTW!!!! Eat your ^%$#@! 360 ALIVE, baby!!! :cookiemon
I must admit...if I saw that for sale at the same price as an Xbox 360, I'd consider purchasing it (assuming it allowed me to play Oblivion, CoD2, etc).