LucasArts Adventure Games

Stay Puft

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
Canada
Back in the late eighties/early nineties, LucasArts could do no wrong with me in terms of adventure games. Game after game was released, and I enjoyed each one more than the next.

It truly started for me with Maniac Mansion that introduced us to "SCUMM", which was the scripting language behind most of LucasArts' adventure games.

They kept releasing classic after classic. I still quote LOOM to this day, and loved that game, but what really got me hooked on adventure games was The Secret of Monkey Island. I've never laughed so hard, and honestly I'm glad it got re-released recently (on Xbox Live Arcade, at least). That series is definitely one of my favourites of all time.

Which game do you remember?

Monkey Island is still the benchmark by which all point-'n-click games are measures. OK, that and Day of the Tentacle.
My nephew were playing though Monkey Island recently, and were enthralled by everything. Loved the insult-sword-fighting, but needed help to get through it.

Tim Schafer was behind a lot of these LucasArts games, he had a distinct comedy style that worked amazingly well for the genre. Double Fine studios has lost this element in recent years though.

Monkey Island is still the benchmark by which all point-'n-click games are measures. OK, that and Day of the Tentacle.
My nephew were playing though Monkey Island recently, and were enthralled by everything. Loved the insult-sword-fighting, but needed help to get through it.

Tim Schafer was behind a lot of these LucasArts games, he had a distinct comedy style that worked amazingly well for the genre. Double Fine studios has lost this element in recent years though.

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow!" Haha I loved the insult sword-fighting, what a inventive way to add some action in an adventure game.

I don't know about losing their element, I played Costume Quest recently and was blown away with how fun it was. I didn't think it would be that great, but it's got that charm that a lot of the Double Fine games have. You should give it a shot if you haven't yet.

Maniac Mansion was pretty much my door into the world of gaming, watching my dad play when I was 4 years old. I love it more than him (he got so tired of me asking to play it!) and ended up playing DoTT as well. I do wish the games got more attention and credit! (I would love a MM movie... sigh.)

Reactions: Stay Puft
The Monkey Island series of games are among my favorite of any genre and ones that I still remember fondly. They are absolutely deserving of their iconic label. The games provided an excellent mix of humor, a wide array of fun and interesting characters and tremendous entertainment.

Other LucasArts games that I remember fondly are Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango and The Dig.

Maniac Mansion sticks out in my mind as one of the first point-and-clicks I ever played. Great game with lots of replay value. Though once you figure out a few things it's not exactly a long game. Still, plenty of room to experiment with your approach to the puzzles.

I was also a big fan of the Sam and Max games that came out back in the day. Didn't get to play them all properly until I was older, but the first one got lots of play time on my brother's old Mac. Great voice acting paired with great writing is great.

Sam & Max was awesome! Telltale Games actually released a sequel of sorts a few years ago (along with Monkey Island) and they were outstanding. In fact, I need to dig those up and play again.

Full Throttle was also excellent (that opening theme song was killer!), and so was Grim Fandango (that got a remaster release recently too). I'm glad there's still interest in adventure games.

@MandyMarieB I would kill for a Maniac Mansion movie. I think we need to figure out the cast to help Hollywood out... What do you say, Tom Cruise as Bernard? lol

I was also a fan of "Humongous Adventures" i.e. Putt Putt Saves the Zoo, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, Spy Fox. I grew up on those games, and eventually matured into Day of the Tentacle, Sam n Max Hit the Road, and LOOM.

While my heart does lie with DOTT and Sam n Max, LOOM really has an unmistakable uniqueness about it that I find so endearing.

Wow! Just the name LucasArts brought back wonderful memories of Outlaws. That game was AMAZING. I actually still have it and it works great. I remember this game being one of the first shooter games that I played. It was really corny but I was young, so it was great! I remember having to search for certain enemies and exploring really cool maps. One of the few games that you got lost in the map forever but never really got frustrated about it.

Can't believe this one wasn't on the thread already! Remember the time when we had to have 3+ CDs and keep switching them throughout the game?! Good times.

Wow Outlaws is definitely a blast from the past! Great addition to this thread for sure, and it's making me want to go back and play it too.

I always had a fondness for the FMV games like Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault II, those two Star Wars games were actually pretty decent for what they were.