Kurruptions Gaming Roundtable Discussions

HAHAHAHAHAHA Bitches back from the dead. I have returned to slay my enimies.......mainly YOU BITCH... You kno who i am speaking off. And yet shit as not changed in this world.

And really VF prob has the best fighting system out there. Not only are the players well balanced but the mechanics do NOT require much of a learning curve as one may think. It may not have that pick up and play feel, as some games but you can pick up and play. And truth be told, it can shit on DOA any day, now that it is online...........Thank you Sega an MS thank you..............

Oh yea blah blah blah roar roar roar.........Fuck shit ass bitch, trick or treat.

Memorizing a lengthy movelist is in no way difficult. In all seriousness, it's second nature. I play as Slayer in Guilty Gear, who has probably the biggest moveset in a fighting game ever and that wasn't even really the difficult part of it, and the counters, different blocks cancels come quickly as soon as you learn the very simple input to do it. The difficult part is the timing and execution. That's entirely a matter of how willing you are to actually practice. And you may not have played VF5, but Guilty Gear Accent Core's practice mode completely blows it away. Seriously. I greatly appreciate VF's in-depth practice mode, but Accent Core is just plain better.

As for DOA vs VF...I'm more of a DOA guy. They're very similar games, the main thing is that DOA puts more emphasis on anticipation while VF puts more emphasis on execution. Being a guy who loves to be able to dispatch and taunt newbies, some of my most beloved moments in my time playing games has been when I literally know what my (insanely crappy) opponent is going to before they even know, then countering literally every move until they die. Online, though...DOA completely annihilates VF. The only game that even comes close to being as good as it in terms of quality in the online play is Fatal Fury Special on the Live Arcade.

Oh no I'm not falling for that one, DOA is very accessible, but it is also very button masher friendly! Nothing worse than a fighting game where he who presses the most buttons faster is the winner.

OK, new week, new subject.

Let's take a look at the handhelds so far, two years ago everyone was hyping this huge ds vs. psp handheld war. Although the victor is as clear as day, what are your thoughts?

The PSP is on the comeback! This system defied phsyics by being able to blow and suck at the same time but 2007 has been good to the psp. I've actually found myself playing my psp alot more than....well ever! FFT, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Brave Story, Disgaea Portable OPs, Ratchet! We also have God of War, two Final Fantasy games, a remake of the original Star Ocean to look forward to! Once again Sony uses the formula that made the ps2, and psx a success, Good games and a good amount of Japanese games (Look at the first three) but I still can't forgive SCEA for releasing Breath of Fire III in Japan and UK but not allowing it to go through into the U.S. market!

On the comeback. Ha there was nothing for it to camback to. The system has falling short in some area of the war but like any good war fighter it wont go down without a fight. Kinda like the guys in COD4 who just wont stay dead.
I agree that it has seen some nice looking games and there are some on the way. But in order for the system to even come close, it needs to drive on one point and one alone, GAMES. The DS has that kid friendly/casual game stigmatype. The PSP does not, well not in my eyes. FFCC, is the bread and butter. And I for one would like to see more games follow in those steps. And its about time they stopped with the ports.

DOA is actually the least-accessible fighting game to button mash in. Yeah, you can bust out a six hit combo by pressing YYYYYY, but anybody who's half way to mediocre can counter that before you get to hit number three.

PSP vs DS has always been close when it comes to games, believe it or not. If you break down the two handhelds' list of titles month-by-month, you've been seeing good games pretty much line up in even numbers on each one. Sales-wise, the DS has been wrecking the PSP, and I don't think that's going to change, no matter what at this point. I don't see how you could say there's some sort of stigma for the DS that isn't there with the PSP.

And what's so bad about ports? It's not like it's all the PSP has. Is having ports that are worth playing a bad thing? I mean, you get these absolutely terrible games on the DS like Madden 200X while the PSP version is nearly as good as playing on the consoles. How is that bad?

As for games present and near-future...Zelda is probably handheld game of the year, and FFCC is nice, and Advance Wars DS2 will be great...but the PSP just has a better-looking lineup overall. Between the fighting games and the two Final Fantasies coming out, there's alot on the PSP.

PSP wise I don't really mind the ports, and actually I don't think there has been a bad one yet, I could and probably am wrong though. What I do enjoy is sony bringing over psx or ps2 games that we didn't get in the U.S. *Star Ocean* and ports of classic psx rpgs that were damn near impossible to find *Valkyrie Profile* and the fact that not everything is being ported into umd, some of it could just be downloaded from the psp store online.

New Topic "Good times Great memories!" the ps2 is on its final breath, what are some of your thoughts, feelings, memories, complaints on it?

PSP topic: I mind ports when they are sloppy and screw up the game. Parappa the Rapper did this when it messed up the timing for all the button presses. It is hard to play a rythem game when you can't get the timing down.

PS2 topic: I don't know if it is on its final breath. SONY claims that it will continue to support it for several more years, and there is a price drop due next year if rumors are to be believed.

Also with the influx of Wii games the PS2 is an easy "port" system for Wii titles. In Japan it is getting Nights 2, so why wouldn't it be kicking around for awhile when the Wii is the best selling system on the market? Sales of the PS2 are also randomly better then those of the PS3 or PSP, and it is the number 1 sold system in the world right now. Why give up on it?

This isn't even bringing up that some of the best games are just now coming out on it, Persona 3? Odin Sphere? Sounds like it is far from "dead".

Well technically the psx was still supported years after the ps2 took over, but the only titles released were crappy budget titles, same thing is likely to happen with the ps2. God of War 2 was suppossed to be the swan song of the ps2 but Odin Sphere and Persona 3 indeed did make a splash, we shall see how many more actual "Great" games come out on the ps2, and how long has it been since those two came out? 3 or 4 months maybe? The game I've been hunting down Fire Pro, was just released, but at a budget price. If Atlus, Nippon Ichi, Squeenix, or Tri Ace release another title on the ps2, I shall be pleasantly suprised.

PSP Ports: Many games, however, do it quite well. The recent Madden games and Marvel Ultimate Alliance being the best examples. Really, it's the same as with any other port, with a "why not?" type approach.

PS2: It's dying down. I mean, it just has to. If any big, good games get announced from here on out, I'll be very surprised. I mean, the Wii is obviously the weakest of the current-gen consoles, but eventually, developers will actually start making technically impressive games and (gasp) start using the Wii Remote in their games. Until that day comes, we may see some dotted Wii games ported to the PS2.

I don't think we'll see anything big from Square-Enix, though, except (if you're lucky) ports of their PSP games.

Look up the sales numbers of Madden this year. PS2 isn't that far behind the 360 and I am pretty sure it was ahead of the PS3. Guitar Hero 3 saw very similar sales.

I think it is a very unfair time of year to be saying that you don't know any games that are coming out on the PS2, mainly because it is December and I can't really think of any games for any system other than two titles that are coming out in the next couple of months. I think that Atlus and Nippon Ichi still have a couple of surprises in them.

Come on, they still make Dreamcast games in Japan, even if the PS2 "dies" over here it has plenty of life left in importing.

Getting back a couple posts, there was one big difference between the PS1 and PS2. With the PS1, Sony let publishers put out whatever they wanted. On the PS2, Sony barred 2d games from coming out in non-compilation packs. So we're not getting Hooters Roadtrip games (usually) with current PS2 games. We're getting legitimate games that were ruthlessly denied by Sony's unfair policies, and can only come out now that Sony's desperate.

And the PS2 didn't outsell the 360 for Madden?

That is kind of strange seeing that Odin Sphere and King of Fighters (which has only ever come out on the PS2) came out on that system.

Sony has ALOT of trash. Look up the words "Barbie" and "PS2" and you will see what I mean. It is just that the cost of making the game is more than it was for the PS1 and that is why you don't see Hooter's Road Trip.

King of Fighters has been pretty much an Xbox exclusive for a few years now, man. King of Fighters 2002/03 got ported to the Xbox with online play, and then King of Fighters Neowave and Samurai Showdown V were released exclusively for the Xbox, followed by a slew of Xbox 360 arcade games.

The last 2d fighting game before KOFXI was Street Fighter Alpha Anthology. The last stand-alone fighting games that came out for the PS2 was the port of Guilty Gear XX back in 2003. That's why here in America, we've seen all this Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and King of Fighters 2003 garbage, rather than just being able to buy copies of KOF 2003 and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. That's why just now, you're seeing King of Fighters XI, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, Guilty Gear Accent Core and all these SNK compilations coming out now, when they've been out in Japan for a couple years now. Seriously, there've been a few games that were intended for the PS2 that got cancelled by 2d fighting game companies or ported to the Xbox.

SNK vs Capcom: Chaos got put on the Xbox.
King of Fighters Neowave got put on the Xbox.
Samurai Showdown V got put on the Xbox.
Samurai Showdown IV Tenka got cancelled in America.
Guilty Gear XX Slash got cancelled in America.
King of Fighters 94 Rebout got cancelled in America.
Samurai Showdown VI got cancelled.

And countless other ports released with online play for the PS2 like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade 2, King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match, World Heroes: Gorgeous, and the KOF NESTS collection.

Indeed Sony or should I say Sony Computer Entertainment of AMERICA (SCEA) America being the keyword has something against 2d games. Capcom tried releasing Breath of Fire III for the psp in the U.S. and SCEA didn't approve it! A game that sold pretty well in Japan and Europe. Freakin Sony of America! No wonder Nintendo gets all those sweet ass Castlevania games on the ds and the psp gets a 3dish version of Rondo of Blood.

I think that this has less to do with SONY and more to do with America. Just because 2D isn't popular doesn't mean that SONY doesn't allow it. Most of the games you are mentioning saw multi console release in the states, namely SNK vs. Capcom.

Also they are fighting games, most of America is slowly moving totally away from fighting and into FPS.

Also BoF 3 wasn't that great.

No, really. Sony made it a policy to not allow 2d games to come out on the PS2. I posted the interview somewhere on the forum where SNK specifically said that Sony barred them from releasing individual games until the last year.

SNK vs Capcom Chaos didn't get released in America except on the Xbox, man. You may be thinking of Capcom vs SNK 2: EO, which was released on all 3 consoles, but that's from back in 2002.

I don't hate Sony, but it's an absolute fact that they barred SNK from putting out games individually on the PS2.

correct in america, which is why konami makes most metroid style castlevania games on the ds, why snk has released most their games on the xbox and gamecube these past few years and why when Mega Man power up and Maverick Hunter where ported to the psp they were required to graphically "enhance" them, same thing with Rondo of Blood, and once again why Breath of Fire III and the Suikoden two-pack probably won't be released on the psp in the states. All that spuds said is absolutely true. Back in the day when Mega Man 8 was first released Sony of America did not approve a release for the psx, seeing the number of copies that were sold on the ol' Sega Saturn, Sony cracked and demanded that Capcom add something else to the release. This is why Mega Man 8 for the psx had that anniversary edition art book. 2D is alive and well in the land of the rising sun, but for some reason SCEA sees it as inferior.

About the King of FIghters:

Only the Neo Wave KOF was released on the Xbox, the rest were on the PS2. Don't confuse production delays as Sony telling them not to bring them over to the States either, the KoF games are famous for being horribly late when they come out for the home console.

There were plenty of 2d fighters that came out on the PS2. Guilty Gear comes to mind, as well as the previously mentioned Street Fighter. Also there were a ton of top down shooters and side scrolling shootings that came out during the PS2 as well. So I don't see this "Sony Ban" on 2d games as very effective.