Knock off games

primalclaws1974

Registered
Dec 2, 2014
Sometimes knock off games can be very good, and some of them I played forever. "Battle Toads" was a Ninja Turtle wannabe, but I put many hours into it. "Dr. Mario" was a rip-off of Tetris, and I still battled friends for years. I even feel Kirby is (although distantly) a steal from Pac-man, but I have played each adaption. What other knock off games have you come to love?

Last edited:
I kind of liked Dante's Inferno and I also really enjoyed 300 for the PSP which were both knock offs of God of War. Of course GOW still has the best mechanics and controls but both these games had something unique to them enough to be enjoyable. I'm just sad that they never got much more attention.

I absolutely adore Pokemon Puzzle League, which was basically just a rip off of falling match 3 games that were popular during the time of it's release. I remember beating the harder mode in order to get the code just to unlock the ability to battle Mewtwo. It was a lot of fun.

I thought every puzzle game that came after tetris was a knock off. Tetris was at the time the most played game on the planet because it came packed with the gameboy. I played almost every puzzle game that followed but they can't compare to the original. It didn't matter what the limitations were on the gameboy. It still had mass appeal because of the fun factor.

Yep, everything from bejewed on down are just basically a knock-off of Tetris. I think that is the reason some very simple games become famous, because they feel completely new. I loved Plants v Zombies and Angry Birds becasue they felt so different than anything else. Stuff like Bejeweled, I just pass on because it just feels too much like tetris.

Most games are a knock-off of one game or another after all. I play and enjoy tons of them. Even some of the most blatant knockoff games are still fun games nonetheless. I will never play Bejeweled again, though. That game is just boring to me.

I absolutely adore Pokemon Puzzle League, which was basically just a rip off of falling match 3 games that were popular during the time of it's release. I remember beating the harder mode in order to get the code just to unlock the ability to battle Mewtwo. It was a lot of fun.

Falling match 3 games? Blocks go up in Pokemon Puzzle League. The whole thing was just Tetris Attacks with a Pokemon skin anyways..