It's October, what horror games have you played so far?

Skuttie

Registered
Nov 15, 2014
So far for me it's been-

Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines

Based on the table top series, it's a role playing game set in Modern Day (for the time) California along the cost. The player finds themselves a vampire (class your choice) amidst a faction war with everyone pulling at you to join them. Just because you're a vampire doesn't mean it's not scary and you can't die tho.

Alien vs Predator (2000)

The first AVP game, it's aged well enough. It's a fast paced FPS where players can control the aliens, marines, and predator through 3 different campaigns.

Dementium 2 HD

It's a mediocre first person game that tries to be like The Suffering but falls flat. The final boss is also garbage.

MANOS: The Hand of Fate

A silly platformer based on MST3K and the old, terrible movies they reviewed. It controls a bit weird but if you're a fan of MST3K at all this short romp is worth a look.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat

One of my favorites. First person shooter/rpg hybrid where everything is dangerous, including the environment. Trudge through the Pripyat area uncovering mysteries, meeting people and monsters, collecting artifacts and surviving.

Spooky's House of Jump Scares

It may look cute at first, but it isn't. Free to play 1000 room horror game that gets progressively scarier as time goes on.

Last edited:
I haven't played any but I plan on borrowing Yakuza: Dead Souls from a friend. It's got zombies and stuff, so it counts right? I also hear the framerate is horrifically bad!

Last edited:
I haven't played any but Spooky's House sure sounds good. I will be trying it out this weekend!

Amnesia The Dark Descent the game can be scary at some places as you hear weird music and for the first bit you will be wandering around, and then later encounter a water monster which can make it spooky and a good horror game. Pneumbra Black Plaque can be scary as you don't know what is lurking around the corner and need to use objects to harm the monsters or hide from them most of the time as they can chase you. Sylvio is a horror game and can be strange in some parts as you need to be aware of what is going around you and can only hope the monsters don't try and attack you all at once in some areas.

The Dark Descent was really good, I didn't like Machine For Pigs at all though.

I'm going to play some Project Zomboid and crank it to the highest difficulty just to see how long I'll survive, especially with their recent update that lets you try to survive in a mall. Speaking of malls, I should replay Dead Rising again...

I'm going to play some Project Zomboid and crank it to the highest difficulty just to see how long I'll survive, especially with their recent update that lets you try to survive in a mall. Speaking of malls, I should replay Dead Rising again...

Project Zomboid is awesome. Is it out of Early Access or is it still in development? Feels like it's been forever since I backed them way before they even came to Steam. Do they have NPCs now? That's the one thing I've been waiting for...

Dead Rising is pretty awesome, but I liked 2 more than 1. Gameplay-wise it felt better. Hell, Off The Record is the best, gameplay-wise, since it brings back the camera and I like Frank's moveset more than Chuck's. But 2/OtR are based on "the city that never sleeps" concept, so lights never go out. DR1 is much more creepy since lights go out at night.

I'm pretty scared of horror games, so I don't play them that often. The last one I played was Outlast, and that was genuinely creepy. Personally, the creepiest game I've ever played has to go to Silent Hill 2. That gave me nightmares for months, and I still don't want to play it alone today. Most of the games people are mentioning in this thread aren't even horror...you can't really classify Dead Rising as a horror game.

None so far. Horror games are alright but tradition wins out honestly. I typically tend to watch horror films in October and participate in MMO events over playing horror games. Idk I like the genre the rest of the year but October, it's just my personal preference.

I can't even watch scary movies let alone play horror games. Even if it's subtle it freaks me out.

I don't fancy being scared all that much :p so the only game I ever played (this month, and since ever actually) is Amnesia. I think I'll end up playing more horror games in the future, not because I like getting scared but because Amnesia wasn't just a horror game, it was also a puzzle. Soma, coming from the same developer, is looking good. I may give it a try next.

I really don't like horror movies or games at all but for some reason, I have played a couple with friends or siblings who are masochists and like laughing at other people while they run around panicked and shrieking. The last one I played was the teaser for Silent Hill, which I don't think they're making anymore. That one had me creeped out for a full day afterward and I still can work myself into a spooked frame of mind at night if I hear any snoring from the SO that resembles the shallow, raspy breathing in the game. The designers of that game really know how to eff with you. You're weaponless and stuck in a realistic looking house going around in circles down narrow hallways with something behind you breathing down your neck and the only way you can advance is by looking into places you really don't want to look. It is a mind trip.

On the React channel on youtube are a couple videos of people playing horror games. I watched those out of curiosity and I guess I like laughing at freaked out players too. One was on Oculus, which is like, no, you could not pay me unless it was a cute horror game for babies, I don't need to intensify the creepy atmosphere for my brain, it's already plenty sensitive. It's called Affected and you walk around a spooky house where things move on their own. Until Dawn is the other one I saw some gameplay of and it's more like a campy slasher in tone, probably something that could be really fun with a group, maybe a Halloween party? ;)

Project Zomboid is awesome. Is it out of Early Access or is it still in development? Feels like it's been forever since I backed them way before they even came to Steam. Do they have NPCs now? That's the one thing I've been waiting for...

Dead Rising is pretty awesome, but I liked 2 more than 1. Gameplay-wise it felt better. Hell, Off The Record is the best, gameplay-wise, since it brings back the camera and I like Frank's moveset more than Chuck's. But 2/OtR are based on "the city that never sleeps" concept, so lights never go out. DR1 is much more creepy since lights go out at night.
Nope, it's still in early access but it feels pretty put together. They still don't have NPCs, but they at least give you a way to let you have a generator and can purify water from lakes and ponds. I'm playing with the Hydrocraft Mod, which lets me build all kinds of stuff and brings new life into the game. I still need to read a lot of capentry books to build that super fort I want....

I know it's a little past October, but I recently tried getting into Dead Space 1. It's a really great game; I like a lot of the ideas. Did I ever mention I hate jumpscares...

I have always been a big fan of horror games. Some of my all time favorite horror games that I have played in recent years include Dead Space, FEAR, Resident Evil, Condemned, The Darkness, Five Nights at Freddy's, Saw, Dead Rising and Dead Island. My only rule is that all horror games have to be played late at night with the lights off. Just to add to the atmosphere.

I didn't play too many horror games this October, but I do like them in general. Resident Evil games are good, Dead Space is fun, Five Nights at Freddy's is good in short bursts (I used to stream it so much on Twitch that I wished the whole franchise would stop existing), Silent Hill is great for cerebral scares...

One horror franchise I've always wanted to try is FEAR. The games look really fun, and the story sounds so twisted. Maybe I should go hunting in some bargain bins the next time I go out...