Is Steam making you spend more on games than you used to do?

Well, if we are not talking about paid games, then what else do you play? It's either paying for games or there is not much PC or console gaming has to offer to you. If I am not wrong, you don't play free to play games as well. Am I right?
I play what I already have is what I mean and I have gotten those out of stores like Walmart or places online like Amazon. If I had a gift card then maybe I would because I often get gift cards from those stores.

Yeah I actually feel like I have been able to save more money by getting games on steam. I guess though something that can happen is that you get into a buying frenzy and then you keep buying game after game but really for me though I have been able to save a lot of money one games.

I don't think I spend more money on Steam than I used to. Sure Steam has some sweet deals but I know how to control myself from binge buying them. I always watch some videos about the game and see what people say about it. Another reason is that I don't have money to waste on games I find that I don't like. Every game in my library has been analyzed by me and has gained my approval. It just seems senseless to buy games at random.

Yeah I actually feel like I have been able to save more money by getting games on steam. I guess though something that can happen is that you get into a buying frenzy and then you keep buying game after game but really for me though I have been able to save a lot of money one games.

You dive into these sale offers thinking that you are getting good deals, but you'll soon realize that you have spent way ore than you'd have otherwise. It's a trap! Once you are there, there is no coming out. You are going to buy more games for sure.

Ugh the sales get me every time. I think gaming companies should be thanking their lucky stars for a service like steam, which has surely changed so many pirates into honest game buying folk. I'd be interested to see the modern torrenting numbers compared to games that are on sale on steam.

I spend less per game, but I still end up spending more in total on Steam. Having games within just a few clicks makes it much easier to spend. I spend around 5-10 dollars on my average game, but I used to buy games only once every few months for ~30 dollars, and now I am buying them every other week or so for 5-10 dollars.

I usually buy the games that I want to play anyway, so I don't really spend the money on games that I would just throw my money away - playing them for a little while or not playing them at all. The only time that I spend money on the games that I don't play is when I buy them in a bundle, like for example on Humble Bundle. But I agree with you, Steam is making some people spend more money on games than they would usually do.

Nope, Steam has not changed my spending habits on games at all, because I still do the same thing:

Buy games I only really want!

I still rather buy tangible video games, because one simple virus infection or erased file in a download game can ruin it all, and I don't want wait hours to download a game once more.

Steam is a double edged sword for me. I have been a PC gamer for last 2 decades now. Yep, I have been playing games since I was only 2 years old. I remember spending money on games very wisely. The situation is very different now though. With the introduction of Steam Sales, you just can't resist the temptation to buy some games just because they are hella cheap. You think I just managed to save $50 by buying a $60 game for only $10. What you are essentially doing is spending more than you'd normally do.
Although am usually tempted to overbuy,i resist that temptation by insisting on quality games which offer value for money.Though am not that stingy with my money,am a bit choosy when it comes to making a purchase.

Well I'm not 100% sure on this but I think overall I'm actually saving money with Steam, as long as I'm smart about it and have some self control ;).

I've actually saved money because of Steam. When a game that would normally be 60 dollars goes on sell for half, that means I could get that game, maybe another game that around that same price and have two. But, since I know myself, I wait till the holidays and just prey on games that'll be $10 or less and get more bang for buck.

Most of the games I own are on Steam. It's hard to ignore a 75% deal during holiday sales. Although I'm a very frugal person in real life, games tempt me the most. A couple games I've bought over the past months are CS:GO (does the keys count as well?), Mount and Blade, and Skyrim. These three games have countless hours on it, and I always find the time to spend a couple hours each day to play at least one of the games.

Before Steam, I have always pirated. Everyone in Romania pirated, and hell, they still do. I only do it from time to time, when I want to try out a game before buying and a demo is not available.

Since I discovered Steam, I buy games, but I find myself I'm buying too many. @_@

I think it's best just to wait for the major summer or winter sales, where you can buy most releases from the year for a reduced price, that's where you save the most money. Otherwise saving 10 dollars on a game is solely due to being a digital pc release, they're always cheaper than a console game.

You technically could say you are spending more money and truthfully, The prices that some games are during their sales, Well, I wouldn't feel too guilty about it. The way I reason it to myself is this, Had I bought this game on PS4/XboxOne, I would not have enough money for these three other games.

So for $60, I could buy four games in total assuming AAA titles. This is nothing more than an example as some titles are even cheaper than that, Some under $10 and more. I like to think I am paying less but I am getting more e.g, My moneys worth.

The best part is that if I built another PC, I could download my library onto the new system and I don't have to worry about physical copies getting lost or destroyed.

Anyone who plays Dota Knows this to be very true. DotA 2 just stopped giving us items for some reason. I used to get 5 to 10 items a week or more, and its been 5 weeks since I received an item outside the contract killing wins and defeats. So for me I think they are just wanting us to Buy more items than we usually would. I feel bad for people just now getting into it because they are gonna have very few items even after the leveling packages they give yuou, Unless they stopped doing those as well. Maybe if we are lucky they will keep having some of these contract killing rewards for other heros.

Definitely! How could it not? When you had to actually physically go down to gamestop or whatever, within opening hours and buy an actual physical copy of the game you wanted to play it tended to stop me from buying on impulse. Not to mention the fact that a store only can have a given amount of games, and if the game you wanted wasn't in stock, then tough luck.
Now I can buy a game with three clicks on my mouse and boom! It's already installing itself. Not to mention that the indy game market has become huge, so there are so many more games to choose from. Steam is a great thing, but my wallet hates it...