Is mobile games gonna kill handhelds?

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone. I don't think mobile games can ever replace handhelds because they're just time wasters. There are a few games I like to play but more often than not they're pretty lacking in features. As much as I don't like the games of today in general, the handhelds do perfectly what they are designed to do and now they can do a little extra. What I mean is on your 3DS you can play YouTube.

And at what point will handhelds allow you to surf the web.. and then make phone calls.... I think if PC gaming can exist with consoles, then mobile can exist with hand-helds.. but i do think that handhelds are going to start blending into being more like tablets.

I highly doubt it. Most popular mobile games are just cute, short, mindless games that grow old quickly, such as Candy Crush and Flappy Bird. Handheld games have a plot, a conflict, and better graphics. There are also many classics, such as Mario Kart that are released on handhelds and draw in a lot of popularity and a lot of money.
This is why most people are more willing to spend $30 on a handheld game, because they know they're paying for quality fun. Most people don't spend more than 99 cents, if that, on a mobile game because it's not really worth it. I don't think I've ever played a mobile game that I didn't get bored of after 3 weeks.
Also, handhelds are more appropriate for children. I'll easily buy my 8 year old son a Nintendo DS, but I would never buy him and iPhone just for the sake of gaming.

Android appeals to the casual market thus will have greater sales since there are much more casual gamers out there. Handhelds aren't going anywhere either but Nintendo and Sony should look into the future cause android/ios is becoming a big competitor. I still very much prefer playing games on my 3ds or vita than my Android tablet.

I don't think so. Like other people have said, mobile games are very limited in their capability. I'm not really putting them down; it's just that it seems like if you have a dedicated handheld for a game, you can do so much more and add so many features. The space on a phone or a tablet is limited, too, so games with huge overworlds aren't necessarily possible. Besides, mobile games are very casual, usually just for playing to kill a bit of time. (I'm not sure if the same can be said for people addicted to Candy Crush.) My experience with handheld games, on the other hand, is vastly different. I can play them for hours straight, and they have longer gameplay hours before things start to get repetitive.

I highly doubt they will. Although mobile's offer many games, their games are very limited compared to what a handheld can do. Phones are slowly getting more powerful, but running any kind of decent game is a pain. Not to mention that handheld systems are becoming more powerful as well. The games take forever to load and slow load times will kill a game system.

They are able to take some of the marketing, but I doubt they will ever completely stop with the handheld systems. Especially if they keep going along the 3D route.

Short answer - Yes

If you're gonna take a look, mobile phones outsell handheld devices by millions! So, who do you think would developers make games for? Handhelds or mobile phones? More and more developers are making games for mobile devices. If we would see, there are already more mobile games than handheld games (combined).

It won't take long before we say bye bye to handheld consoles.

I'm not sure it will happen with this generation of handhelds, but I definitely think we'll get there eventually. Games like Pokemon Red and Blue are already running great on iPhone's, and it's only taken around ten years for Nintendo to get to the level of graphics they're at now with the 3DS, so I don't see why we couldn't have 3DS level graphics on iPhones within the decade.

I honestly don't think mobile gaming could ever kill handheld gaming. The games designed for mobile are usually smaller and less involved, which is perfect for someone who's on a lunch break or coffee break at work or even just passing a few minutes idly.

Handheld gaming is designed for someone who wants a good game to play for any reason, it can be casual or it can be a really in-depth storyline or game style. I've found quite a few fun little games that could be designed for an app on a phone such as Fat Princess or Frobisher Says but I highly doubt something like the Pokemon or Legend of Zelda franchise could be designed conveniently for mobile.

It seems to be that mobile devices (i.e. smartphones and tablets) have already killed handhelds, at least in my area anyway. I hardly hear of anyone having a 3DS or a PS Vita any more. Most people around here seem to be happy enough with their main consoles and their mobile devices. Whilst I agree that the quality of games isn't as near as good, it's inevitable that this will change with the way mobile device specifications are going (quad core processors, dedicated GPU's, etc).