I'm annoyed.

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
If you know me, you know that I really am accepting of all three companies, but I really hate it when they do something that's just annoying or gimmicky or just meant to rip us off. I've ragged on Nintendo (batteries and stupid name) and I've ragged on Microsoft (60 dollar games is bull) but now I'm gonna rag on Sony.

If you know me, you know I like fighting games. And if you know fighting games, you know that no 2d ones have come out on the PS2 alone, since 2001 (Capcom vs SNK 2). It's been all Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, King of Fighters 2002/03, and all that stuff. But you'll notice that we haven't seen King of Fighters Neowave, Guilty Gear XX Slash, King of Fighters XI, King of Fighters 94 Rebout, Garou: Online Edition, and all that kinda stuff on the PS2. We've seen Neowave on the Xbox, and we were GOING to see 94 Rebout...but we haven't seen anything like it on the PS2? Why, you ask?

SCEA banned all 2d games from coming out alone on the PS2, and PS3, unless they were part of a complilation. This angers me.

spudlyff8fan said:
If you know me, you know that I really am accepting of all three companies. I've ragged on Nintendo (batteries and stupid name) and I've ragged on Microsoft (60 dollar games is bull) but now I'm gonna rag on Sony.
There is a discrepancy here. I just have to look a little harder and I think I might be able to find it. Anyone want to help me out?

That he's accepting of all three companies, yet ragging on them at the same time??

It's okay Spuds, us non-nitpicky types understand what you're saying :p

All the game companies have been making slip-ups lately, and this is just another one to add to Sony's list I guess. Maybe they're doing it so they won't have a deluge of 2D titles and can handily roll a bunch of them into a single game? It would make things easier and less cluttered on the game shelves it seems. Kinda stinks though, cause some old games may make the cut while others are left behind, only to exist in cartridge/ROM form...

Sad, indeed.

Spud I feel you. I understand your anger. And yet we still fall victim to them because we know that they will one day give us everything we ever asked for. This is my crazy dream of a UBER system. With the likes of great minds and hardware like Nintendo, a game library that of Sony and the Online/ multiplayer of MS. That is my dream alas it will never come true.

I thought GGXX Slash (or whatever it's called) came out for the PS2... and wasn't terribly good.

And it's not that they aren't releasing the new games... it's just, what's the point? I love a good 2D fighter like the next guy, but some of these recent games haven't been that good. GGXX Slash had that thing where you had to push a button to change which character you're facing (which kills any and all fighting games IMO),and Capcom has been using the same sprites for a number of their characters since the first game they appeared in (Colossus and Sentinel look HORRIBLE in Capcome vs Marvel 2), and with the lack of sales in 2D fighters, it's really not worth it for them to update these sprites.

I think, unless these fighting game companies think of better distribution routes (Vritual Consol, X-Box Live and PS3 Network thingie) to reduce costs, we might see the end of the 2D fighters.

I don't know where you heard that, but your wrong on both counts. Slash is only out in Japan, and is stunningly incredible.

And the point is that they're good, getting better, and still popular. King of Fighters Neowave, Guilty Gear XX Slash and XX Reload, and others, are still absolutely incredible games and accepted by the fighting community as some of the best games in their series. And where did you get that companies keep recycling sprites? Seriously:

sf101.gif
st09.gif
a101.gif
ng01.gif

There are more, but I can only put down four. Granted, we've seen the same Morrigan for a while now, but she isn't a common character. And it isn't like it's EXPENSIVE to do a completely new sprite work, like how Kyo Kusanagi has had 8 different looks since he first appeared. Starting back when he ditched the black and went with blue jeans and a white coat, going back to a black outfit, a couple more in the middle, to his newest black/white/red coat.

And really, if the genre was going to putter out any time soon, it would've happened by now, and with XX Slash and KOFXI being delcared to be far-out as the best in their series and substantiated rumors of a Street Fighter 4, it isn't going out.

*Realizes newbie mistake.* *still thinks the market for 2D games is waning* *wanted another Marvel vs Capcom game, but dissapointed in EA taking up the fighting license*

GG isuka is that crappy 4 player guilty gear. XXslash is the japan only guilty gear.

I don't understand who decides when genres are 'dead'. with the graphical power of today's systems, they could make 2d games that actually looks like cell animation, without the jagged edges and with like a bazillion frames of animation per character.

and i know that they can do 3d that looks like it's 2d, but most of those games (excluding zelda and megaman on psp) look like crap

why make a 2d game 3d just for the sake of making it 3d?

i think the retro aspect of 2d gaming will make a come-back, like everything else. there's still so much with that genre that can be explored, and yes with the tech you can do wondrous things and not have to worry about all the CRAZY graphics and stuff.

i think the wii will actually be a big contributor to the return of 2d as their classic games + new 8 and 16-bit [styled?] games will be available via their online download service.

NSMB for the DS was extremely successful. And it was a mix of 2 d and 3 d in a 2-d game.

I too wish there was a new Marvel vs Capcom game. Hell, I wish there could be a "Vs. Anthology" with MvC1, MvC2, Xmen vs Street Fighter, Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter and whatever one I'm forgetting.

And yeah, Isuka is the crappy Guilty Gear (excluding Dust Strikers, which also sucks), even though here at Mygamer, it got an EXCELLENT score (http://www.mygamer.com/index.php?page=gameportal&mode=reviews&id=243947&platform=Playstation 2). It's more of a newbie game. But XX Slash is absolutely incredible, according to the fans of the series who have imports.

But yeah, 2d fighting games are awesome and still relatively popular. Granted, they're really more of a popular cult hit, but the fans keep coming and the games are great.

I now want to buy that fictional Vs. Anthology. And I want it to include the original arcade and console versions of each game (so infinite combos exist in x-men vs street fighter), and heck, throw in the PS1 Marvel Super Heroes (so I can take advantage of the lag).

Sheeze, you know of the infinites? Good job. Indeed, I believe that all 2d fighting games should come with both the arcade and arrange versions.

Just out of curiousity, do you think the switch would work the other way around?

What I mean is, if we can bring a 2D fighter into the 3D world convincingly......could we scale one that we've only seen in 3D down to a 2D game? Like Tekken.....could that possibly work flattend out?

its a bit of a jump in the topic, i know, but i didn't have anything better to do.