If you could only play three games...

alsarcastic

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
UK
dreadnoughtforums.com
what would they be?

The gaming equivalent of Desert Island Discs. If you could only ever play three games again. For the rest of your life. Which three would you choose?

1) TIE Fighter.

The blurb:
TIE Fighter is a space combat simulation that takes place in Star Wars universe. From the cockpits of TIE Fighters, players fight for the Galactic Empire in their struggle against the rebels. TIE Fighter like X-Wing employs a polygonal 3D engine: flat-shaded polygons are combined with bitmaps only for explosion effects.
This time a force is strong with the Empire. Join the imperial forces in their fights against rebels.

Why I love it so.

It's STAR WARS. You get to play as the BAD GUY. You get to fly with DARTH VADER. There is a brilliant immersive story line. The tutorial levels are PERFECT. It's easy to start, killer to master. You get to KILL X-WINGS. .... and it's a stunning 21 years old and STILL the best game I ever played.

2) ROME: Total War

The blurb:
Set during the rule of the late Roman Republic and the early Roman Empire, Rome: Total War is a real-time tactics and turn-based strategy game that takes place across Europe, North Africa and the Near East. The player assumes control of one of three Roman families with eight other factions playable outside the main campaign. The main goal of the campaign is to become emperor of Rome by conquering fifty provinces with the support of the people before capturing Rome itself!

Why I love it so.

It's a massive time sink. I must have racked up weeks of real time playing this. I pulled 24 hour sessions numerous times. It's a global spanning campaign and you set the pace. Take your time and do what you want. You can kill Rome. Sack Rome and claim the empire for yourself. Epic battles. A cavalry charge into lines of infantry is still the most spectacular thing. A relative baby at 11 years old. Better than every other Total War game. Massively moddable. Perfect.

3) Half Life 2

The blurb:
Half-Life 2 defines a new benchmark in gaming with startling realism and responsiveness. Powered by Source™ technology, it features the most sophisticated in-game characters ever witnessed, advanced AI, stunning graphics and physical gameplay.

Why I love it so.

Considered by many to be the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME, Half Life 2 offers a hugely immersive story driven experience where you play as the man of the hour, Gordon Freeman. Exhilarating, with stunning set piece battles against giant robots and legions of smart-AI enemies. They will flank you, they will use grenades to force you from cover, you can beat them to a pulp with a crowbar. The guns feel real. They sound awesome, and you can drive a dune buggy across beaches, blasting ant-lions out of your way. Offers one of the scariest levels of all time. That's the old passage to Ravenholm. We don't go there anymore. Another classic from 2004. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Honorable mentions:

• Supreme Commander.
  • Resident Evil 2.
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

What are your favourite games of all time?

Probably Fallout 3, the Ezio related Assassin's Creed games (They're all consider ONE part of the AC story, so they can count as one game. ;) ) and GTA 5. Open World games are pretty much playable forever or at least a very long time, because you can keep exploring and doing things.

Arma I love because the game seems to never get old. Make a new scenario, different weapons, add a few mods and you have content for a long time. There is always the choice to play with tanks or air assets if I'm bored of infantry combat (and now with the Advance Flight Model, this is more true than ever). And it is just fun trying to work together as a group and pretending for a while we are all somehow effective military personnel (even if we don't follow proper procedure).

Wargame scratches that itch for strategy. The game has a lot of depth to it, learning which units are best against which others in which situation. It is not like Starcraft, though. It's an entirely different beast, a lot heavier and way more tense in my opinion. It is, perhaps, more like a game of real-time chess than regular RTS games, which is great to me.

Finally... EVE online. There is plenty out there to read about this. Many have done a way better job at explaining why EVE is lovely and if after reading the wealth of stories and information out there on the Web you still don't agree, then I don't think I can convince you otherwise. I'm sure it'll scratch that roleplaying itch along with HUGE BATTLES and a sense of leaving a mark.

Civilization 3 - just tons of replayability and you can make very long games

Skyrim (or earlier ESO) - Open world RPG with 100s of hours of gameplay.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - close, almost went with WOW, but DD0 has better replayability with different classes which have very different gameplay.

My Three games keeps changing. Seems like if you ask me at different points of the year what my games would be I will give you different answers.

Crusader Kings 2 is the most common member of this list. Since its release I don't think I've failed to include it. I love the replayability of it, There are tons of AMAZING mods, and I honestly just love the game.

Grand Theft Auto V is probably the newest member to this list. Up until its release on PS4 I hadn't played it and so I was including GTA IV instead. There are times where you simply want to cause mayhem and few games do it as well as the GTA franchise. GTA V is arguably the best in the series and so it has replaced its predecessor on this list.

The third game is the one I have trouble with the most. In the past this slot has pretty much always been occupied by an RPG or at times an MMORPG (Guild Wars). Its fluctuated between Diablo 2, Guild Wars, Skyrim, and Torchlight 2. I can rule out Diablo 2 and Guild Wars now. Diablo 2 is just a little too dated and much of the same itch that it used to scratch can be scratched by the smoother more streamlined Torchlight 2.
Guild Wars on the other hand is still an amazing game but it suffers from the same fate that any MMO eventually goes through, declining player base. While its still fun to play Solo, much of what made it so great is now gone.

So that leaves Skyrim and Torchlight 2. Both are amazing games and they are both immensely satisfying games. Actually choosing between the two is incredibly difficult. I'll go over the virtues of each before I decide.

Skyrim is a wonderful open world sandbox RPG that pretty much lets you do whatever you want. Do you want to play through the story and become a Dragon Slayer, do you want to Kill an Emperor, or do you simply want to become a hunter. You can do all these things in Skyrim. Not to mention Werewolves and Vampires... The world is large and beautiful. The modding community is great and has released a number of awesome additions. There is no reason why Skyrim shouldn't be on the list...

But then again there is Torchlight 2. I have loved Action Isometric RPGs since I first played Diablo in 96 or 97. I have played so many and I have found Torchlight 2 to be the best out on the market at the moment. While the base game is immensely fun and replayable with New Game+, A very active Modding community make the game even better. Lots of different classes to play, new monsters to defeat, new locations to explore and loot to collect. The game just keeps expanding.

So like I said when I first started, asking me which 3 games I would pick all comes down to the time you ask me. 6 months ago i would have told you that Skyrim would make the list and Torchlight 2 would be left hanging. Now though I say Torchlight 2 makes the list while Skyrim is left behind. Other times I might tell you that Skyrim makes the list and GTA doesn't.

Other Games that HAVE been on the top 3 list and may one day return to it depending on my mood:
Minecraft
The Sims (whatever the latest version is)
The Guild II
Project Zomboid
Freelancer
X3
Anno 2070
Prison Architect

I would pick Binding of Isaac Rebirth since it's different every run. I would get a lot of game play out of that before I got bored. I would also pick Minecraft for the same reason. If I'm bored on a desert island I could always find something new to do in that game. Finally I would pick Skyrim because of how much content it has. If it came down to it, I could just sweep dungeons for fun and that would still be entertaining on an island.

Well this is a tough question but I will have to go with Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, World of tanks and Fifa 2009. Grand Theft auto is just so much fun and you never can get bored. World of tanks is an online game that gets updated often and therefore it is like playing a new game every few months plus playing with real people means that you will never get bored. Fifa 2009 was just a great game from the Fifa series and I could play all day.

If I were given the choice of three games to play for the rest of my life, I would choose these three:

As for video games, I would choose GTA V for PC, Lord of the Rings Online, and Saints Row 4. All of these games are open-ended and have a lot of things in a game I like.

As a bonus, although not a video game, Chess is one of the most difficult and challenging game ever created by humans that I would not mind playing for the rest of my life. There's even a move named after a Irish deity named Lugh and is called "Lugh's enclosure."

Great question! It is so tough to pick just three games to play. After giving this some serious thought I have decided on FIFA 15, Football Manager 15 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The main reason why I have chosen these three games is their reply factor - sports games and open-world games have high replay factors so I would less likely get bored with playing these three games in rotation.

I'd go for Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and League of Legends.

Those at least are currently the 3 I'm playing atm anyways...Pokemon is nostalgic and the idea of raising and training the perfect team along with the collection aspect is just right up my alley.

Fire Emblem takes care of my strategy RPG desires. I like the stories and the...marriage components too...

League of Legends, is just always fun. Fulfills my competitive drive plus being able to play with a lot of different friends.

For me it's probably the sims, PES 15, and skyrim. Everything else gets boring after a while for me.

I would choose Dragon Age Origins, as you play the last of a the grey wardens and have to unite dwarves, Elves, Mages and humans to fight against the arch demon to end the blight. I would also choose Tomb raider origns you play a younger Lara croft which is when she is younger and also learning to brave the world and looks good. Another game would be, God of war 3 the game where kratos fights the titans and gods alike to end his torment and suffering.

Well with only 3 games the focus would probably be on replayability

DotA 2, endless permutations of heroes and items, no two games are the same.

Skyrim due to the immense open world, with a wide array of mods giving you so many more hours of gameplay.

Minecraft for something more casual, but allowing you to do virtually anything in the game.

Haha, I don't even think I need the 3rd choice, I always just preferred playing some diablo and counter-strike, with the occasional random game thrown in the mix :D I'm a man of simple pleasures I suppose.

Agreed. I lost so much of my life to Diablo. Well, yes the devil has taken a decent chunk of my life as well but I meant the game! Highly addictive & I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My three are:

Rome Total War Gold Edition

Rome Total War II

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition

I am going for DotA 2, Rome Total War II and GTA V, that would be quality entertainment. :)

I'd probably go for TES Skyrim, Half-life 2 and GTA IV, not exactly in this order. All three are really fun and innovative games and have a large community behind them that create tons of fun mods, and that always extends the life-cycle of a game.

Only 3 games?! Are you a sadist?

After much internal debate and arguments, I have begrudgingly come up with my top 3.

1. Kingdom of Loathing.
2. Civilization 2. No, 5. No, 2. Umm.. Okay, 3. Final answer (Oh god, that was hard).
3. Fallout 3 with full access to Nexus for mods.

I hope I never have to experience this. This, right here, is the stuff of nightmares.