Idea

Huddy

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
The Boiler Room
I just had an idea that might, or might not be cool, and if anyone would be willing to undertake it:

This has kinda been done before, but I'm not sure how widespread it is on gaming websites, etc. I'm thinking sports here. Would it be a neat idea, to take the latest sports game (I'll use Baseball in this example, since the season is just opening) and run a simulation season in it, and post the results? Maybe a column every two weeks or so on the status of the season, comparing it to the real season going on? Or even, on simpler terms, running a simulation of the playoffs and World Series, and posting the results of that with some decent commentary (writing) around playoff time? Anyway, I think it'd make for a cool feature, and I've seen something similiar being done on G4, and ESPN to an extent, but how would it translate to a website?
Pardon me, for I get these strange ideas every once in awhile. :)

I think it would be fun to do it for the big games, like the NCAA championship last night. We could maybe make a season work if we brought in members to help out. If people would be willing to do it, and the web logistics are not too complicated, I'd say go for it. Anything that can help distinguish our content from other sites would...help.

Cyberdata, you stole the very next idea I was going to post! Of course, we have to have something for the folks to spend points on first (we don't do we?), but yeah, there's lots of possibilities that could come of this.

reaching...

what if users could cash in mygamer points for a spot on one of our pages to post either some text or a pic, almost like a blog that they could "own" for a few days? it probably wouldn't cost us anything and the users would be able to promote whatever it is they're involved with by posting links or whatever they'd like.

Going back to the content itself, there's a lot of merit in this idea, especially since there's never any downtime for sports in general. Baseball and NCAA (well, too late for that now) were already mentioned, the NBA playoffs are about to start, and the European Champions League tournament is winding down, so there's no shortage of sports to cover. And how could I forget about the mythical NHL playoffs which would ordinarily be starting right about now.

Time to go looking for OOTP6 updates.

...running a hockey league would be interesting, kind of a fill-in for the real league not running this year.

The real question is who will be actually running the "simulation" and, if more than one person, how will that be organized? It might be best to have volunteers each pick one bracket.

A good discussion for the staff meeting, at least.

I think one person could run the simulation just fine, without having to actually watch every game played. Most current sports titles show some sort of box-scores at the end of each game, and for those that don't, I'm sure whoever's doing the simulation would be bright enough to come up with an interesting "sports page" for the week or every two weeks. Since MyGamer is sorely lacking any real sports coverage, it would surely deepen that category!