How I got into gaming.

slessman

Registered
Jan 22, 2010
Well, I remember when I was in school I had a hard time handling stress. I loved gaming because I wanted a way to relieve the stress that I had. So I sat down with an original Nintendo and played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Then the N64 came out, then I picked up a PS2, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, and an MMORPG. I am happy gaming because it means I am not focusing on a to-do list. Good right?

I actually don't remember how I got into gaming, since it's just been something that's always there for me. My earliest memory of gaming, though, is that when I was learning to tie my shoes, I had to practice for 15 minutes before I was allowed to go into the back room and play Atari 2600 for a while. When I was 6, though, my family got an SNES and I got absolutely obsessed with Super Mario games- I took Mario sodas in my lunch and drew sprawling 3 page fan arts and made my friends play Super Power Princesses (where Toadstool, of course, was the heroine) during recess at school.

My dad exposed me to gaming, though he never games anymore. He owned a Vectrex and Sega Master System when I was born, as well as few other odd devices like a Frogger mini arcade cabinet. I loved this weird Master System game where you were a medic on a handcar going around the battlefield reviving soldiers. He also had Asteroids and Berzerk, among others, on the Vectrex.

But I didn't really get drawn into gaming until they bought me a Sega Genesis when I was around 4, and Sonic the Hedgehog became my gaming icon. My dad used to play Mortal Kombat with me, much to my mom's dismay. I didn't own a Nintendo system until the Gameboy and later the N64, so Mario and Zelda were new to me. I always wondered what kind of gamer I'd be if I'd grown up a Nintendo kid like so many others, getting to play the 2D Zeldas and Final Fantasies. I still hold a torch for Sonic, despite his less glamorous aging than Mario.

Lately though, I find myself wondering what drives me to game. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, so I guess I feel like it almost defines who I am, so I have to keep on top of it. But finding myself reading other people's best-of lists and buying games just because they get good reviews has made me feel like a different type of gamer. I've found some games I really love this way, like the Persona series, but other games make me feel like I'm just making the rounds, you know? It's like that one movie all your friends say you have to see, but turns out to be something you could have gone without watching. I hope Sonic the Hedgehog 4 will be able to reinvigorate my early love for gaming.

Last edited: