How do you get rid of old books?

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
I have an ever-growing collection of books I will never, ever read again. And I have no idea how to get rid of them.

I am a writer, a would-be novelist, even, and so I want to dispose of them in the best way possible for the author. Unfortunately, that would be destruction, and as an eco-conscious person, this goes against my grain (reuse coming before recycle in the ecologic hierarchy of positive actions). As far as I know, there is no way for an author to collect on the resale of a book. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another viable option would be to give them away. Many of the books I've purchased in the last year have been the result of buying another in the same series at a $0.50 book sale at work. The books are donated by employees and then bought back up by other employees for half a dollar. I think I've purchased over 5 books recently (by only two different authors), directly because I'd received another by the same author for a nominal fee. I'd say that helped the authors out a bit.

Now, the shrewd businessman in me says, just giving my piles of books away to be sold does me no favours! I want something in return. I want someone else's books, so I can try new authors out (and then possibly go out and purchase their books).

To keep it fair to the authors, You'd have to keep it from being a mere book exchange. I see it as an online barter market, where I, as a user, would list books that I'm ready to get rid of. As people request them and I ship them out (paying for postage myself), I earn points. So many points for book given away, locally shipped books are worth 1 point, international, worth 2, and overseas are worth 3 points. 5 points, earned by giving books away, earns you a book from someone else, anywhere in the world. (To get the ball rolling, you give everyone 20 books to start off with when they sign up.)

Alas, I'm a packrat. I have yet to dispose of a single book / comic book that I own. They go into big boxes and into storage. Eventually that storage space will be too full though :p

All of you: what percentage of those books do you think you'll ever read again?

(for me that would be about 5%)

I guess I've just gotten over my desire to own things permanently. At least, things like books and videogames. I trade in almost all my games once I've played them through. DVDs, as well, I buy way fewer DVDs, and find myself renting a lot more, realising that most of the movies on my shelf only got viewed once or twice. I still collect the heavy-hitters, Star Wars, LotR, Narnia, Fight Club, stuff like that. I'll be buying Superman Returns and Spidey 3. But I'm much more selective in what I purchase lately.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm a selective buyer... of the novels, maybe some of the series I'll reread. Of the comics, I've returned to nearly all of them at one time or other. I'm currently rereading 100 Bullets, an awesome series, but I don't think I'll ever go back to the original Spidey Clone Saga... that will never be reread. But if I don't keep them, I'll forget... and those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Let's focus on novels, cause comics are collectibles, novels aren't, and rarely have good re-read value. The only time I've re-read a novel was (aside from my once yearly reading of LotR, which I've stopped doing since the movies came out, and my few times through H2G2) when I was refreshing my memory on a series just before reading the next installment (Wheel of Time).

Once a series is over, I can safely get rid of it, knowing I'll never read it again. I just need a good place to do so.

Hey Voice, that bookstore above the comics store where you shop, does it buy used books? Cause dood, I could come with a car-load of 'em (with my car [see "Oh yeah baby" thread in General Discussions] coming up with a car-load of anything isn't that challenging).

I know that all they actually SELL is used books, so I'm assuming the get them somehow. I could ask them tomorrow as I plan on going.

The Pocket said:
I have an ever-growing collection of books I will never, ever read again. And I have no idea how to get rid of them.

I am a writer, a would-be novelist, even, and so I want to dispose of them in the best way possible for the author. Unfortunately, that would be destruction, and as an eco-conscious person, this goes against my grain (reuse coming before recycle in the ecologic hierarchy of positive actions). As far as I know, there is no way for an author to collect on the resale of a book. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another viable option would be to give them away. Many of the books I've purchased in the last year have been the result of buying another in the same series at a $0.50 book sale at work. The books are donated by employees and then bought back up by other employees for half a dollar. I think I've purchased over 5 books recently (by only two different authors), directly because I'd received another by the same author for a nominal fee. I'd say that helped the authors out a bit.

Now, the shrewd businessman in me says, just giving my piles of books away to be sold does me no favours! I want something in return. I want someone else's books, so I can try new authors out (and then possibly go out and purchase their books).

To keep it fair to the authors, You'd have to keep it from being a mere book exchange. I see it as an online barter market, where I, as a user, would list books that I'm ready to get rid of. As people request them and I ship them out (paying for postage myself), I earn points. So many points for book given away, locally shipped books are worth 1 point, international, worth 2, and overseas are worth 3 points. 5 points, earned by giving books away, earns you a book from someone else, anywhere in the world. (To get the ball rolling, you give everyone 20 books to start off with when they sign up.)

If you have the time, you may be able to set up a table at a public college or university or just some open public space (check with the school or municipality first...different rules may apply). Just set some cheap prices, and you should get rid of a few.

I used to run the book sale for the English Lit Club when I was at UMass, and though we never got rid of everything, we did make a significant dent in the clutter that professors gathered and donated to us. Who knows...you might even make some cash!

It depends on what type of books you are selling, but you can try

MBSdirect.net
bookbytes.com
half.com

I think you can take your old books to libraries, Barnes & Nobles, Boarders, and Books-A-Million will buy books from folks. The best place to sell your books are to small family owned book stores. They are always looking for books.

Half looks somewhat promising. We'll see, I guess.

I'm having a bit of trouble signing up as a seller though. They allow me to register, but then when I'm entering my credit card info, they don't seem to like the fact that I'm not American. I've queried their support people.

looks pretty legit. I googled it and it came up clean. a lot of buzz in the blogs actually. I signed up. but the stock is limited. not enough people using it. So, I hereby encourage everyone to sign up for BookMooch (www.bookmooch.com) and share your books. Everybody will be happy then, you just wait!