How do you feel about videogame remakes?

Profit5500

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I remembered that I had liked some really good classics that were around in the 90's like "Wolfenstein 3d", "Doom", "Duke Nukem 3D", and "Heretic". Over the years "Wolfenstein 3D" has had a number of mods and few remakes to add. One of those remakes I had played was "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" and I did not like it. I felt that the game itself was quite lacking in appeal. I was highly disappointed that game was not that great. I saw that there was another remake released in 2009 called "Wolfenstein" released by Raven Software which they were famous for the games "Heretic", "Hexen", "Necrodome", and "Take No Prisoners". I have seen some gameplay footage and I was interested in that one but cannot play it due to my computer being outdated. In 2014 I think there was the new "Wolfenstein New World Order" that took place in the Cold War with the Nazi's as the rulers. I was not sure how that one did but I heard that the game was more like an old school game. I also saw a remake of one of my favorites Rise of the Triad. I liked some of the gameplay from what I had observed but the levels looked like they were a bit cluttered. So how do you feel about remakes of games whether old or new?

I think some remakes, and continutaions are great, depending on how they're handled, a title that stands out the most in terms of remakes/continuations is the Fallout franchise, in the form of Fallout 3, it took a quantum leap from its 16 bit days on Fallout 2 and leap frogged to a whole new galaxy in Fallout 3, the intricate story telling, the massive open world, the ludicrous amount of content, I mean you could play Fallout 3 for 10s of hours and not get bored, and I think that speaks more to the developers than anything else, you got the sense of continuation, and not this disjointed feeling u get with remakes, like "Huh? where'd that come from" everything had a place and everything seemed familiar while being presented in a completely different way.

I would argue that a bad remake is better than no remake at all, at least it brings attention to old classics which would otherwise have died out over time. I have played many bad remakes before, to discover that the originals were amazing, like Serious Sam, Doom and Wolfstein.

I don't mind them as long as the developers do it right. The only problem is that often they focus too much on bringing in a new crowd that they almost totally disregard a lot of the aspects of their previous games which is what made them popular in the first place. I think remakes are a good thing but it really is up to the developers not to ruin the whole idea behind it.