How can this be?

the_roach

Narrative Cosmotect
Registered
Oct 6, 2005
The Great Valley
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/

Steve Irwin, the famous "Crocodile Hunter", is dead. Killer croc got'em, huh? Not precisely. The brutal irony is that he was killed by a stingray which pierced his heart.

That's just ugly in a way, to die like that. There's no poetic justice in that. Sure, it's a dangerous animal, but to be killed by it piercing your heart is like some random act of murder at the hands of some kind of fate out there, to be killed in such an unusual way.

To me, that guy was invincible. He served as an example that Man can with their will stand up to the primal forces of nature while at the same time truly appreciate them. It's a weird feeling to know he is dead, that he is gone. I guess it just makes you feel that more vulnerable to the happenstance of the world.

Thing is, a manta ray's tail isn't strong enough to fracture a rib. I heard that the way he ended up dying was that it was perfectly angled and ended up going into his stomach, then under his ribs and up into his heart.

Bad. Luck.

Yeah I heard about that earlier today. Really sucks.

Not to spoil the mood or anything, but does anyone know what channel the Miami and FSU game is on?

silent_storm said:
Yeah I heard about that earlier today. Really sucks.

Not to spoil the mood or anything, but does anyone know what channel the Miami and FSU game is on?

hey that's not any worse than a conversation my friends had today:

Friend 1: Did you hear about the crocodile dundee guy dieing?
Friend 2: yeah that was pretty sad. He was like my hero.
Friend 1: yeah. Let me know if you find any videos of him dieing on the Internet.
Friend 1: cya

The stingray was hidden too (there is a difference between a stingray and a manta, fyi). When Steve-o swam over it, the 10" serrated barb went right under his ribs like Spuds said. He then PULLED IT OUT OF HIS HEART!! Now that's a man's man. Try being stabbed in the heart by a serrated dagger equipped with a crippling poison, then pull it out! I'm not one for such language, but DAMN! Other divers said that if he had just been stung normally, he would have lived. It would hurt horribly, but the painful poison can be taken care of with scalding water.

Last edited:
This situation is one of the pinnacle's of irony. The fact that he survived so many previous deadly encounters only to fall in this freak accident. I never really watched his show, but it is still a tragic accident.

The only thing that amuses me is how the ad banners on this page are trying to match the ads to the subject material. The internet knows no shame.

Ethan, those were some good words above. I shall not try to add to them.

Meggo the Eggo said:
hey that's not any worse than a conversation my friends had today:

Friend 1: Did you hear about the crocodile dundee guy dieing?
Friend 2: yeah that was pretty sad. He was like my hero.
Friend 1: yeah. Let me know if you find any videos of him dieing on the Internet.
Friend 1: cya

Yeah that was an emergency. Then I found out that the only ESPN I had was the international one, and it was showing the US Open.

Oh and Jonas, Steve O is a totally different guy...