How are video games written?

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
I don't mean the programming code, I mean the stories and dialogue.

Is there a standard format for video game scripts? Would something like a screenplay work?

I'm thinking very seriously about applying to some local developers as a writer and I'd like a practical sample in addition to the rest of my portfolio.

Well I think it works the same way. As a screenplay. You have to develope your actors ro characters. You need a back story, personality the whole nine. Everything that you put into a story you need to a game. It's all a story in the end.

The difference is that games are interactive. Now, a linear story like Final Fantasy RPG's only need a standard scripting because all you're doing is moving your avatar from point A to point B. If you're working on a game like Oblivion, with the variety of reactions, the different events and the character's "personality" being taken into account, there's a great deal of complex scripting that is required.

Regardless of which, don't expect to really direct where stories go, or how they get there. That is still the job of the producers, designers and programmers. Most writers are hired in the gaming industry to fill in the dialogue spots and create text copy for such things as text prompts and instructions on screen. It's not precisely like screenplay writing.

So scribe. What if it's your own game. You are creating the game. Amybe not the tech stuff. but everything else. You still need to devlop the story cand caracters right?

Well, there are design documents. As far as I know, there is no universally-accepted way to document all the various aspects of game design, not like the screenplay for a movie. Most screenplays follow a certain format, whereas I've seen a few different kinds of game documentation formats. And these game docs tend to be really huge and change throughout the production period of the game. I'm not sure if there's an individual document for like characters, scenarios, story, etc, but I'm sure there's a subsection within the overall document. My instincts tell me that there are specific jobs just for people who write, like writing the scenario for a game.

Hi Luda,

A game, like anything else, is a collaborative effort. Unlike movies, the game doesn't start with the script, it starts with the concept of the game itself. Writers are not hired for putting together the original, overall script, though you do need to know how to write and be creative when you create concepts. This early stage is for the Conceptual Designers and Producers to start with the basic mechanics of a game.

As for pure writers (like actually having the title of 'Writer' as I suspect basil was asking about), they don't work on the project until it's time to flesh out the story, plot and copy of the game that already has it's creative direction prior to the writer receiving it. To be able to influence the game from the very beginning, you'd have to be an Orson Scott Card or an R.A. Salvatore (and neither of the games they were involved in seems to have done so well).

Basically, the story should fit the game, not the other way around, otherwise you might as well just put together hours of jaw-dropping cutscenes with no interactivity...much like many Japanese RPG's, heh.

Y'know, basil, Bioware had a contest not to long ago where they asked people to send in entries using the game editor for Neverwinter Nights. The parameters were that the entire scenario had to take place in a single room or area (I think about 10x10), and it required characters to be engaged in some kind of conversation. They were judging the ability to write the dialog in the context of creating an engaging gaming moment.

I think a campaign editor like NWN's or making a mod for any game that requires some creation of dialog or text would be a good way of creating samples of your work.

You'd have to be a producer to have any real handle over any of the game's overall concepts. That and it'd kind of make you seem like a dumb little kid who wants his game published.

Okay I see. Well good think i'm not a writer.............but you can probably tell by now. I do however have ideas and such that I would like to transform into a game, movie, cartoon. Whatever I can do I'll try it. I would like to get most of them done by the time i'm 40. I know a few writers and progamers, artist. So really all i need is the funds. And connections. MAN I NEED TO GO TO E3. but i'll wait till next year. One day we will all play my games.

Hey Basil!

Check out this book: Game Writing: Narrative Skills for Videogames. It was written with the help of current videogame writers.

It will be out in June, and might give you a frame work from which to from start.

Don't let any punks tell you that you can't do it. The only way any of the current videogame writers got to where they are was by going for it.

So go for it!

Well I would assume if you can write a decient script you can write dialog for video game. From what I understand of it is pretty much most of the time you are being told what to write for most video games. Some instances you find where developers don't have a real plot and they will hire a writer to make out a layered storyline. I know that GameJobs had listing looking for guys to write dialog and plot. Check that out.

As someone trying to write a novel, I've discovered that most publishers like to see things in a certain format. I know the gaming world is different and probably a little looser, but it wouldn't hurt if you wrote a letter (not an email, it would just be deleted) asking a gaming publisher what they like. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. That does two things: first, it let's you know their preferences. Second, it means that when you send it to them, that they've already seen your name. You can even send it "per your request".

Be specific about your questions (and respectful), although you're pretty respectful in your posts, so I don't doubt that'll carry over. You don't want to wind up in a "slush" pile consisting of dozens of other aspiring writers.

From the few things I've read about game story developemnt, it sounds like storyboarding is the most important part. Even if there is a core, linear story, there still need to be elements developed for different missions that piece everything together. If diagrammed, I'm sure many "non-linear" games would like a chunky spider's web, which is actually a seeries of crossing lines.

Darth_Jonas said:
As someone trying to write a novel, I've discovered that most publishers like to see things in a certain format. I know the gaming world is different and probably a little looser, but it wouldn't hurt if you wrote a letter (not an email, it would just be deleted) asking a gaming publisher what they like. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

What he's looking for are usually called "Writer's guidelines".

Another good idea is to try to get in contact with some actual game writers and ask them your questions. There's no better source than the horse's mouth, so to speak. If you ask around, I guarantee you'll find someone receptive who will be willing to lend advice.

Thanks, everyone. I'll be following this advice. I also sent an e-mail to Morgander, even though he isn't looking for writers right now. I asked him to send me an assignment anyway, and see if he wasn't impressed with what he got back.