Horrifying visions of the future of film.

Solitudinarian

Registered
Mar 21, 2006
Denver, CO
While reading up on some of the cinematic goings on in the works for next year and was tickled by some of the offerings (Transformers, Tenacious D, Bee Movie, Where The Wild Things Are, etc...), but then I came across 6 words that spelled out the ultimate doom and downfall of the Marvel film franchises and sent me into fits of violent dry heaving: Fantastic Four And The Silver Surfer! As if the first F4 film wasn't a big enough steaming pile and unforgivably boring, they now want to soil the good name and reputation of the Silver Surfer. There are two questions that jump out right away with this scenario: Why doesn't the Silver Surfer warrant his own film? and Can the addition of another hero, no matter how cool, raise this film with its soulless characters to a level that doesn't competely and utterly redefine the word suck? Bottom line: Marvel, Give me a good Spidey 3 and then concentrate on producing quality comics and leave the movies to the pros.

Well, at least there's a vast ocean of cinema out there to discover. That's where most of my cinematic life is spent. Anyway, the good stuff comes out under the radar most of the time. Hollywood needs to move away from this superhero movie craze, get back to respecting artists' visions and aspirations more, like in the 70s. Here's a glimpse into the Disney/Shyamalan fiasco.

While I'm in a link-giving mood, here's another link concerning the future of film--a future film--in Tarantino's and Rodriguez's Grind House. I can't help but smile at the purposeful omission of part of the reel in order to help recreate that sometimes confusing grind house experience and resulting atmosphere.

I'm hoping they do Ghost Rider up right. That has real potential with some big name actors, but we all know how Hollywood can screw things up. I don't, however, think the FF movie was a complete bust. I enjoyed Johnny Storm and Thing. They were funny even if the rest of the story seemed weak. Keep in mind, though that they stuck to a similar format as to their origin. Every comix story has to do the first one as its origin movie and FF was THE original comic book team. It's hard to make the original fresh again since it's been done for over 50 years.

Personally I've never been a fan and think the movie was made for a younger audience anyways. I was very upset over X3, though. They better start getting their act straight!