Honeymoon Woes

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
As many of you are aware, I'm getting married this coming September 22 (actually, 70 days from today, that's 10 weeks, for those of you who don't bother to do the math).

Way back in March, I booked our honeymoon with a company called Sell-Off Vacations. For $2400 we were going to a 4-star, all-inclusive resort in Puerto Vallerta, Mexico, for 7 days. All was well.

In June, the agency called to inform us that there was going to be construction taking place at our resort during our stay. Heavy construction. Noisy construction. I canceled the trip. I had time to book another one, after all.

Emma and I spent a full week poring over the Internet, trying to find a comparable resort for a comparable price. We ended up booking a more expensive trip at a resort we didn't like quite as much. But all was still relatively well. We were to depart on the morning of the 24th.

Last night, the agency called again, and I assure you gentlemen and lady(ies?), it will be the last time they call. They informed me, in no uncertain terms, that our flight had been moved ahead a full 48 hours, again, for those of you disinclined towards arithmetic, that's the morning of our wedding day. There were to be no other flights that weekend at all. Either we elect to miss our wedding, or we cancel our honeymoon a second time (this is effectively what we were told). Emma, as you can imagine, was in tears. I was close.

I'm now at a loss. Time is growing short and I have few options. I'm afraid to book with another discount tour company, for the reason our flight was moved so drastically (actually, ours was canceled) was because it was a charter flight and they couldn't fill it. The only way to ensure against such a drastic change is to avoid charter airlines, but that means more dollars, and a tougher time booking an all-inclusive trip.

The rep didn't even offer to find me another tour to a comparable resort at the same price, he just said, take the earlier flight or cancel. I'm very angry right now. (I get formal when I'm angry.)

who'd you go through?

we have yet to book our honeymoon even though our one year anniversary (september 3rd) is rapidly approaching. we are most likely going to go with apple vacations. if that's not who you were using, check them out. if that's who they were using...i maybe should rethink our plans. we're probably going to do something in november though, when hurricane season is over and its not very crowded at all.

you could always go later than right after your wedding.

Well, Basil. There are a few places I know of where you can have some good, guaranteed vacation time. You could try and get a hotel in some of the standard cities. Orlando, Vegas, Washington DC, Miami, Bermuda.

But I'll tell ya, some of the areas up around my place of residence have some very popular, exceedingly scenic, perfect honeymoon-ish locations. Cape Cod, Block Island, Newport or Mystic (Connecticut) all have ritzy hotels that you can probably book now if need be. I'd say that you can come visit me, but you'll be busy having random sex with your wife. But yeah, check those places out if you need to still.

Cape Cod can be quite nice at a reduced price, however, it's the not the same as an all inclusive warm weathered resort.

What about in the area of Cancun Mexico, or the Dominican? Any places in those areas?

In truth, find a good hotel. Anywhere. Cause IT'S YOUR HONEYMOON!! The sight-seeing will be taking place in the hotel room! If you're in the northwest, then go somewhere out of the way and romantic. Maybe even a bed-and-breakfast. The time there is all about you and your lady. Ancient ruins, color of sand, and access to touristic stuff is completely secondary to some quiet time to recover from the madness of the wedding and focus on making babies (or lots of practice for when/if you ever decide to make that jump).

There will be NO BABIES MADE on this honeymoon. But plenty of practice, random ... practice, as Spuds suggested. (btw, thanks for the invite, some other time perhaps?)

We have our hearts set on an all-inclusive, beachfront. Unfortunately, we're getting married right at the start of hurricane season, so Cancun and the Dominican are out. So is Cuba.

We'll figure it out. We've suffered through the dissapointment yesterday, and had the requisite fight about the options today, so now we can get to work finding an alternative. (That's a common pattern with us, the fight part sucks, but we're learning to minimize it.)