Hey guys! Recommend me some cheap PC games that I can sink time into!

CaptainFalcon

Registered
Feb 15, 2015
So I've been on a bit of a budget recently, as well as getting really bored. I've grown tired of the majority of games I own cause I've overplayed them haha. So hit me with your best shot; what're your favourite, cheap PC games?

Hmm, depends what you call cheap, ha. I recently purchased two cheaper rogue-likes on steam and have had a lot of fun with them.

The first of which is "Overture", I think it was like $3.99 in the Steam store. It's still going through a bit of the development phase, but that's where you will find a lot of the cheap titles, anyway. ha. Anyhow, Overture features 20 different classes which are all unique. You get to pick one (only certain ones are available right away, the others have to be unlocked) and you have to make your way through an endless dungeon... Fighting bosses, rescuing NPCs that help you on your quest, fighting mini bosses and bosses along the way to upgrading your skills and unlocking the other characters.

The game is incredibly difficult and, personally, i haven't made it beyond floor 3, which is pretty lame, lol. As soon as you die, you're done.. There is no continue or save feature really. Again, it's very challenging, but also doesn't require a lot of dedication from you. It's a game I love playing when I have just spare hour or so and need something to fill the time and provide some entertainment. The music in this game is TOP NOTCH. Awesome.

The other game is similar but definitely of higher quality, and it's Darkest Dungeon. It's a $19.99 Roguelike that you recruit 10 different classes of players that have a variety of skills to help you navigate dungeons to secure loot and destroy bosses. This game features more RPG elements though with all the skills / armor / weapons / trinkets you can find and upgrade. Like Overture, once a character of yours dies, it is gone forever. But you can just keep recruiting and leveling new characters in the same file without losing your money or shop upgrades, so it isn't a huge deal.

The game though is extremely difficult. It's very unforgiving and you will suffer and feel pain playing it, lol. With that though makes it really rewarding after you master the learning curve. The RNG is pretty ridiculous, so be prepared. You can easily sink many many hours into this. The art style is unique and cool. The narrator is probably my favorite part though. That guy has some talent, and I would pay just to listen to him read off lines of the game, lol.

Hope you check these out and if you do, let me know what you think! Enjoy!

The other game is similar but definitely of higher quality, and it's Darkest Dungeon. It's a $19.99 Roguelike that you recruit 10 different classes of players that have a variety of skills to help you navigate dungeons to secure loot and destroy bosses. This game features more RPG elements though with all the skills / armor / weapons / trinkets you can find and upgrade. Like Overture, once a character of yours dies, it is gone forever. But you can just keep recruiting and leveling new characters in the same file without losing your money or shop upgrades, so it isn't a huge deal.

I just came across this game a few days ago and it looks really awesome! I really like the art style and the difficult game style. I also think it's kind of interesting the way it focuses on the morale of the party.

As far as cheap games go I would really just recommend keeping an eye on the steam sales, or perhaps playing through something that's been sitting on the back burner?

You could also try a freebie, such as LoL or Dota, but they aren't for everyone (myself included to be honest).

Castle in the Darkness

a cheap, retrostyle platformer

Dead Pixels

shoot all the zambies in a 2D sidescroller

Muri

old style dos platformers like Duke Nukem (the old ones) and Commander Keen (which are also good)

Sega Genesis classic packs are on steam

plenty of good stuff in the under $5 category on steam really.

Well there are a ton of Free to Play games out there on the market, sometimes they're just hard to find.
My all-time favorite, cheapest game I play and enjoy the most is probably Team Fortress 2. If you haven't played it, you definitely should. It's completely playable without spending a cent in-game.

Also, Hotline Miami is a very good game for a fairly reasonable price, but it's still a bit high compared to other budget games. Maybe when the next sale rolls around, the price will drop a nice amount. But do look into this game! It's damn good fun and has a pretty amazing soundtrack.

If you're into browser games I would recommend giving SAS Zombie Assault 4 a try. There's not too much content, but you could definitely spend a few hours on the fun and free multiplayer mode. If you have Steam, grab Portal 2 and give it a go. I have yet to hear from someone who is dissatisfied with the game. It is a true gaming masterpiece. If role playing games are your thing, try one of The Witcher games. They have the fun option of giving you a choice which guides the story.

Well, that depends on the genre you want to play. I'd say you should try Heroine's Quest, it's an adventure game with RPG elements that was made to be as similar to Quest for Glory as possible, and it's pretty good - free on Steam. Wasteland 2 is on sale a lot, and I sank around 40-50 hours into that - it's an oldschool RPG that's basically a spiritual successor to Fallout (after Fallout was a spiritual successor to Wasteland 1, haha). The first Witcher game is $10, so that's a good one as well. Skyrim is $20 right now, which is a little more, but the game is a huge timesink even without any of the expansion packs.

I guess it depends on what genre you like, and whether you prefer indie games or more established developers?

In any case, for great multiplayer games you could consider Terraria, which is like a 2D version of Minecraft. If you're more action-oriented and competitive League of Legends or DotA would be great free MOBAs that you can try.

Well, I don't know what games you already have and what genre you prefer and that makes my job a bit harder, but the cheapest games are usually the oldest. You could find a lot of really fun older games out there like Diablo II, Starcraft, Warcraft III, maybe you haven't tried Nfs Underground yet or Toca Racedriver 1 and 2. Also, if you played and liked the Fifa series, try some older Pes games, chances are you'll like them more than EA's game. Another thing, always be on the lookout for offers. There are tons of offers out there and some may make it worthwhile for you to buy some new and well-known games.

Skyrim for $20 is a huge steal. It's been a few years since the game came out and I'm still playing it. If you can, get Torchlight I and II on sale- it's very much like Diablo for a cheaper price and it's also created by the same people who were on the Diablo project. Bastion is a good indie game with gorgeous digital art and a fun playstyle. The game doesn't last very long but the music, graphics and the fun overall makes up for that. You could hit up Humble Bundle- they sometimes have a great bargain for certain titles, just gotta stalk them a bit. If you see Total War on sale, snag them if you're into games like that cause they provide hours of fun as well. Saints Row tends to get on sale now and then, it's GTA on crack and the time invested for the money is worth it.

I really recommend becoming experienced at DoTa 2. It's a cheap game (Free to Play) and it actually requires skill. Although the community might give you a bad reputation of the game, it is extremely fun to play with friends. Just don't get too mad while playing it.

I recommend The Escapists! It's only like 15 bucks on steam and worth every cent! You just missed a great deal though - I bout $70 worth of games for S$12. I still can't understand how does Steam do it.

Skyrim for $20 is a huge steal. It's been a few years since the game came out and I'm still playing it. If you can, get Torchlight I and II on sale- it's very much like Diablo for a cheaper price and it's also created by the same people who were on the Diablo project. Bastion is a good indie game with gorgeous digital art and a fun playstyle. The game doesn't last very long but the music, graphics and the fun overall makes up for that. You could hit up Humble Bundle- they sometimes have a great bargain for certain titles, just gotta stalk them a bit. If you see Total War on sale, snag them if you're into games like that cause they provide hours of fun as well. Saints Row tends to get on sale now and then, it's GTA on crack and the time invested for the money is worth it.

I wouldn't call Torchlight a time sink, you can finish that game in a couple of hours..

Another game I think is cheap-ish and takes around 40 hours to complete is Valkyria Chronicles, though.

I really recommend becoming experienced at DoTa 2. It's a cheap game (Free to Play) and it actually requires skill. Although the community might give you a bad reputation of the game, it is extremely fun to play with friends. Just don't get too mad while playing it.

I'd like to sign this. Dota 2 is one of the best games to play with friends, and since it's free you should give it a try.
Another game I'd suggest (if you like RPG) is Kingdoms of Amalur. A great game, even though pretty unpopular. It was released like a month after Skyrim, so most people ignored it, but I liked it a lot more than Skyrim. The combat feels more action oriented, and I really loved the style of the graphics and the soundtrack. Took me nearly 150 hours to beat the game and both DLCs, while getting all the achievements, so I'd say its definitely worth the money.

A free to play game that I have really enjoyed is warframe. I have only sunk about ~30 hours into it but I have enjoyed all of it. If you have a few buddies have them pick it up as well, because it is a Co-op against AI type game and it is a bit of a hack and slash or grind game to get up the levels and gear that you want. The combat is nice and the movement is really cool in it. I enjoy playing it a lot and I like the feeling of finally being able to build something that I have been working on collecting resources for a bit. It is a FPS and a whole lot of fun. I definitely recommend that you pick it up.

Another free game that I thoroughly enjoyed was Tom Clancy's Ghost Phantom (If I recall correctly). I had so much fun playing this game. It is a FPS and completely free. The only problem I had with it is that not a lot of people were playing it at the time and sometimes it would take some time to get into servers, but I think that more people are playing it these days and the time it takes to get into a server is greatly reduced. I really enjoy the combat system in this game too as you can hide around walls and peek over to start shooting you enemies. As you progress you can unlock new weapons for one of the free classes.

I suggest you check both of these games out, as they are both free and the worse that can happen is that you are exposed to a new game that you didn't particularly enjoy.
happy hunting! :)