Heroes of the Storm

annie

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
Has anyone played the game yet? It's gonna be Blizzard's newest game, a MOBA. I haven't been able to get a beta key yet but reading from the site/watching streams has led me to believe it's more team-oriented than most MOBAs. There's no item shop and there's shared EXP, which seems like it would prevent snowballing in a sense. That also lowers the complexity in that you don't have to "know" what things to build on your character but then you have to be more reliant on your actual game knowledge. The art is pretty okay; I'm more partial to cartoony art like LoL, but I really like some of their character designs. Have you guys heard about it? Or played it? How was it and how did it compare to your previous MOBA experiences?

I have been playing on and off with a friend since we both got into the Closed Alpha in december. I think the game is a very fresh take on the MOBA formula, but that it's way too grindy for the average consumer that wants to play without spending money - the prices are insane! Ten thousand gold for the newest hero is an absolutely stupid move on Blizzard's part, especially at the gold gain rate.

It's a pretty casual MOBA in my opinion, it's hard to stand out from established games in the scene like LoL and DotA 2. The only thing going for it is the rich Blizzard universe.

How much gold do you gain per win/loss? I feel like those who are more experienced in MOBAs will see the process as grindish while newer players will be okay with it. I've met some people who are just getting into League and they're having fun even with the limited pages/skills. Considering it's only in beta, maybe Blizzard might adjust pricing/gold gain? Though, I don't think that's likely :p

I was interested in this, until I've seen all the wannabe "funny" features the game pushes on you, like the dumb skins, mounts like rainbow unicorns and whatnot. That really puts me off.

I´ve been in the alpha for about 8 months now.

To answer someone else´s comment. I think shared exp was added to prevent a lot of griefing and keep it more team oriented rather than everyone acting on your own. In LOL, it was hard to have varying tactics because someone would always be getting shafted with exp. With shared exp, not everyone has to lane to advance and it makes different archetypes more useful.

As far as all the ´funny stuff´... you realize it is a f2p game? I would much rather they make their money on funny stuff rather than power boosts.

I´ve been in the alpha for about 8 months now.
As far as all the ´funny stuff´... you realize it is a f2p game? I would much rather they make their money on funny stuff rather than power boosts.

How is being an f2p gme a reason to add absolutely unnecessary, juvenile, dumb and completely out of context stuff? That's not an argument.

I couldn't stand play through the tutorial. Maybe it was just me but I do not think it's polished enough yet.

Recently got into Closed Beta. Personally I don't like the game at all. It seems you can not solo queue since you will always get stomped by premade groups. I think if you group with 4 other people you know you can have a good time.

I do not like their design philosophy of having to level up every single hero to level 4 just to unlock all available talents for that hero. I despise their pay model, too. Most heroes cost either a ridiculous amount of gold or up to 10€. On top of that almost all skins are 10€, too and most are definitely not worth that price point.

You can not really grind in this game. The gold you get from wins is pathetic. Instead they want you to log in every day and complete their 300 gold daily quest, which is still only 15% of the cost of the cheapest gold heroes you can buy.

The gameplay itself is a nice idea, having additional objectives on the map and quicker games is a really nice concept, but thanks to the incredibly toxic community and the fact you are constantly matched against 5 man premade groups really turns me off from this game.

Oh and if you play solo you get 50% less XP. Seems like a complete cash grab to me this game.