"...Hate the XBOX 360" Official Thread

Because, in my experience, the games that most forum users say "suck"......I thoroughly enjoy......Take most wrestling games, for example.....Alot of gamers take these games and tear them apart because of the games' lack of realism.........But when i get those games, i can't put them down for months and months........Sometimes i wanna whack them over the head with a chair......

This is probably a different topic now but yeah, I've enjoyed a lot of games that the "general gaming public" thought sucked, and I thought some games that the GGP likes actually sucked. That's actually one of the main reasons I took issue with Steve's comment that games are always getting "better". Better by whose standards? There are a lot of games coming out that I think are worse than past games, and worse than their direct predcessors. This has always happened, too; Tekken 4, for example, I thought was worse than Tekken 3, and even worse than Tekken Tag.

Of course there are always games in the past that you'll like more, especially in series. King of Fighters 98 is still considered the best one, and I still think that Ocarina of Time kicks Wind Waker's ass. As a whole though, games are getting better.

Well, by defiition, "popular" has to imply "broad appeal to the masses", and it's not my impression that the kind of people that would pile on the lemming band-wagon really come to sites like this all that much.

Which (to bring this back to the topic of this thread) is another part of why I see a move to console-centric publishing is an overall negative in the long run in terms of what's available to all kinds of players. It's a fact that small programmers cannot innovate and experiment on any current or future next-gen console- the SDK/licensing/publishing model employed by Sony/MS/Nintendo makes such a thing virtually impossible (shy of illegally modding your hardware to play some modded console games)..

PC game development, however, is flexible enough to provide alternatives (both in development tools as well in a plethora of free DISTRIBUTION options) for any and all kinds of developers, from huge "genre king" types of devs like your Valves, ids and Blizzards, to mod makers who can convert an existing game to provide additional game play not originally included in that game for niche players (ex: the very good Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld) to mini-publishers that want to program games in Javea or Flash... literally the only limitation on PC gaming is imagination, not the artificial roadblocks of the hardware manufacturer holding the final say on who gets a license to develop for that hardware set. That will just lead to MORE "popular" games and increasingly weak sequals that have to appeal to the largest possible base of players to be profitable rather than on developers experimenting on quirky or innovative games.

Just to go further with what Imago is saying:

A game like Darwinia would never be made for a console. It's just too esoteric. But it's an awesome game, and an awesome example with what one can do with aesthetic. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like RTS games.

Dofus would never fly as a console concept. As above. a small company can make a small flash game with relatively low production costs. Dofus has thousands of happy, paying players -- now, that may not seem like much compared to console sales, but if you have 15,000 people paying $7 a month... well, you do the math. A small garage company can be very profitable with that model, and the benefit to gamers is a wider variety of games, more choice.

Now, there are some surprises on consoles. Take Katamari Damacy for example. However, I think that's the exception that proves the rule; Katamari was produced by Namco, an already large compnay; they could afford to take the risk, and it was even a calculated risk, being a game that already made money in Japan so it only had to recoup distribution costs in the US. If an idependent, small company had come up with the concept for Katamari, we probably never would have seen it because it just would have been too much of a risk to put the money into development.

Speaking of Darwinia:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7212

(I got that from the indiegames link you send, BTW, Toasty- thanks).

See- this is what I mean. I almost certainly would never try Darwinia- I've never seen it on the store shelves (it's probably there somewhere, buried amongst all the other titles but I missed it), but when it goes out on Steam I can download it for $20. That's a good price point for a game that I've heard good press about and would like to take a chance on.

What in the console world even comes close to that kind of distrinbution flexibility? IS there anything? I can't think of anything even like that, shy of some experiments that Time Warner and other cable companies tried like 8-10 years ago, where they let subscribers add the ability to play older, previously distributed PSX games (I think it was PSX- I never used it, I just read about it) via the cable connection- I guess it included an adapter that somehow fed the game right into the console. Does anyone remember this? true, that's not nearly the same thing as being able to purchase new games directly from a web site or via Steam, but...

Yeah, I think you're right... I remember the only games you could subscribe to were so outdated that the idea of paying a premium for the service was laughable. You'd never see that on a modern console.

I wanted to kill everyone in my house after listening to Katamari Damacy. But you can't forget that the Revolution is planning to make it especially easy for small-time developers to get into the industry. PLUS you all seem to be forgetting about O~3.

ImagoX said:
See- this is what I mean. I almost certainly would never try Darwinia- I've never seen it on the store shelves (it's probably there somewhere, buried amongst all the other titles but I missed it), but when it goes out on Steam I can download it for $20.

You mean, you never read our amazingly excellent review of it? I'm shocked.

And no, it wasn't on store shelves, it was sold only through the developer's website. So distributing through Valve is huge for them.