Grizzly Man

the_roach

Narrative Cosmotect
Registered
Oct 6, 2005
The Great Valley
Tomorrow, Friday the 3rd, at 8:00pm EST, the Discovery Channel will be showing the Werner Herzog 'documentary' called Grizzly Man, about a Timothy Treadwell who lived frequently with grizzly bears in Alaska and documented them--along with his girlfriend some times--until they met a, well, grizzly end you could say. This isn't your typical documentary. I've talked about Herzog before in my journal entries. He's not as interested in documenting objective truthes as he is in finding ecstatic ones. Thus, if you happen to watch it tomorrow (you know, if you got nothing better to do), I think you'll notice how strange it seems, blending factual footage with fictional or elaborated elements. This stuff goes beyond the "pseudo-documentaries" or "mockumentaries".

I have yet to see it myself, so that's where I'll be tuned tomorrow night. I know it's Herzog, I know a little bit about what goes in in the film, and I know that a lot of critic's circles awarded it best documentary of 2005.

See? That is undeniable proof how nature is inherintly evil and as the only species above nature, it is our DUTY to destroy nature!

I saw this in the theater. It was really, really interesting. Treadwell is a freak. I advise everyone to watch this, because you get to see some stupid people doing stupid stuff. I swear, I was waiting for him to try to have sex with a bear.

There were a few powerful moments, especially when he listened to the audio from the bear attack. I guess I'll spoil it now by telling you what you probably alreayd know; Treadwell gets killed and eaten by a bear. It happened while a video camera was rolling, but the lenscap was on so there's only audio.

wow, he musta been some sort of sorcerer!

In all seriousness though, how many times was he warned to stay away from those creatures. It's kinda like when you were a kid and your parents told you not to run with scissors, except you don't listen and film yourself running with scissors. Then some day you start filming but forget to remove the lens cap, and all that is heard is a loud thump and some moaning.

No matter how much you love a wild animal, always remember that it's more than willing to kill you in a horribly painful manner.

or at a distance. That's like someone saying "I've been driving a race car for years without wearing my seatbelt. There's nothing dangerous about it!"

Most people were saying the inevitable happened, but I do recall one of those guys saying he got what he deserved.

*kills Kurruption instead*

BCampbell said:
I think there's a difference between saying he got what he deserved and saying that the inevitable happened.

I wasn't talking about those people BC. I was talking about the one guy I saw in the actual film who said he got what he deserved, and the people who allegedly said the same kind of things in everyday life according to what his friends said in the discussion they had after watching the documentary.

This a passionate man who made up his mind so absolutely that the consequences no longer mattered. It's tragic what happened as they noted, but his friends don't feel regret in that it did. Sure, there's sadness, but there's also an understanding.

Also, saying that someone deserved something can be a semantic issue. To me, you can say someone deserves that something bad happen to them without malice, but with some other intent or tone (like a logical conclusion).

Maverick said:
I wasn't talking about those people BC. I was talking about the one guy I saw in the actual film who said he got what he deserved, and the people who allegedly said the same kind of things in everyday life according to what his friends said in the discussion they had after watching the documentary.

Yeah, I understood what you were getting at. I wasn't really trying to argue with you, just pointing out to those who may not have seen the film that there are different opinions on that issue. Yeah, there are people who say he "got what he deserved" and that's a really disgusting attitude.

The crazy thing is, Treadwell was amazingly successful at what he did. If he hadn't stayed on that year, he'd probably still be up ther eevery year.