Grandia III

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
I picked up Grandia III on the weekend and spent a good six or seven hours playing it today (had an extra holiday from '05).

I'm very impressed so far with the smoothness of the gameplay animation, and the richness of the environment textures. I'm a bit disappointed that the character's appearance doesn't change when you equip different clothing, etc., but I suppose you can't have everything. I guess with 2 DVDs, the game is big enough already.

The major appeal for me was the setting and the main character's theme. It's as if Square consulted Hayao Miyazaki when they wrote Grandia III. Many of Miyazaki's films have to do with flight and fantastic aircraft that uses older technology. In fact, there seems to be a tradition in modern japanese fantasy stories: the settings seem to be a collection of anachronisms. They borrow objects and customs and styles from many points in history, and from all over the world. Grandia is similar. There are bi-planes, dragons, modern boats, and horse carriages. No guns (yet), but spears and knives, maces and swords. And magic, of course.

I like the battle system. It's difficult to describe, but it's good. It's turn-based, but timing is very important, so it's almost a hybrid between turn-based and realtime.

It's a typical Square-Enix game, so far as the story and cinematic sequences are concerned. They are long and beautiful. One thing about S-E games I'm not a huge fan of is the lengthy in-game conversations. I understand that writers gotta eat (being one myself), but sometimes, you just wish the fisherman would spill the beans about the missing pearl BEFORE he tells you about his good for nothing apprentice. A new innovation in this conversation dealie, though. You get supper table banter. At certain points in the game, there will be times when you're at the campfire or at the table and you don't control anyone, but every time there's a lull in the conversation, you get to choose who speaks next. It's kind of neat.

All in all, I'm thoroughly enjoying GIII. Is anyone else playing it? Anyone else want to throw in their $0.02?

I started playing the game when it first hit a few weeks back. All of what you described had me hooked for the first 10 hours, but the game wears real thin shortly after that. The dinnertime conversations became a bit of a hassle with me. Eventually you just have to guess which character will speak next in the conversation and pick them in order to advance the sequence. Boring. The battle system, which really rocks, becomes dull after a while since you are fighting only three or four different monster types in each area. The monster design also sucks. I mean, seriously, you'll start to notice eventually. The visuals, albeit very impressively designed, really suffer from the PS2's inability to perform anti-aliasing. And the dungeons and area maps, holy smokes, they are horrible. All of them eventually feel the same: serpentine paths that feel like they drag on and on. I'll give credit to the story, which is very uplifting and creative with great characters and amazing voice acting. But even that will start to crumble as you play on.

Overall, the game seemed amazing at first, but it just didn't maintain the tempo overall.

I gave up on it after about 12 hours. Most people I know did as well. But hey, I heard it's short, so if you can bear another dozen hours after your first 10, you'll finish it.

What I find truly interesting is the HUGE explosion of RPG releases now that the PS2 is nearing the end of its life cycle. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?