Google refuses to hand info over to federal gov't... but other search engines don't

BCampbell

Staff Member
Registered
I'm kinda on the fence with this one. On one hand, I don't like the government prying into anything I do. The less they know me, the better. On the other hand, I think we restrict our government too much about what they look into. That hand says "let'em search. I've got nothing to hide."

However, how many times have things popped up in google or google images that you did not want? Would that count? When a law enforcement agency needs a wire tap, they have to be specific as to what or who they are looking for. Could they not be a little more specific as to what they are looking for? Like, "who has accessed this list of sites?"

I'd have no problem with them handing over a list of what people have searched for. I would have a problem with them handing over a list of who has searched for them. I don't think they're doing that though.

Well, I consider myself 'left o' center' and I don't think they have a real cause to be searching these queries any more than they have a right to look at library book records or entrapping college students with agents provoking them to commit overt criminal acts (clearly done during the 60's).

And clearly, these orders for growing the actual size of the government, expanding the intrusion of law enforcement into private lives and changing the definitions of those charged with crimes comes from a self-described 'conservative' administration.

It doesn't matter if you're Left or Right on this issue. It just can't be a comfortable thing from either perspective (unless you're really into Fascist or Communist rule, heh).

The difference between looking through library book records and entrapping college students is that there isn't a name attached to the action. For this, all that is known that at some point some guy searched for THIS. It isn't going to be Scribe999 typed Mygamer into Google at 1:45:43 PM on 11/14/05. Like I said, if they knew exactly who looked what up and when, I'd be against it.

What if you mistype the word in the Google searchbar??.....That is about as bad if i didn't type one letter in a website's address.....It always takes you to a "Page does not exist" or some wacky page you never intended to be on......I understand why they are cracking down....But i think, IMO, that it is the way they crack down on issues.....We give them the freedom is make their plans and they blame us if it back fires.....So i don't think i could whole heartedly agree with the statement....."we restrict our government too much about what they look into. That hand says "let'em search. I've got nothing to hide."

Now Jonas, you know i never read the Full statement...never have been known to.....that's kind of like reading the information on a firework....and not reading the BIG warning at the bottom.....