Games With Gold

Stay Puft

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
Canada
If you're an Xbox Live Gold member, you get access to download (for a limited time) some free digital games every month with your membership.

It's pretty cool, and the best part is that you don't have to download them right away. You can just add them to your account and download them later which is especially useful if you're low on space on your console, which is the case for me.

So far I've downloaded SSX, Thief and Metro 2033. Currently it's Crysis 3 for the Xbox 360, and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for the Xbox One.

Games with Gold is an excellent service. It doesn't have as many options as the PlayStation Plus users, but I find the games more fun. A lot of the free games available via PlayStation Plus are a combination of PS and Vita. Some of them are indies or low-quality free-to-play games, but there have been a couple of releases, such as Thief and Borderlands, that are excellent. I sadly didn't have gold when Metro 2033 was available, but I did get Fable 3 and Crackdown from Games with Gold.

I can't wait to see what new game they have for next month.

From what I understand after Microsoft's Gamescom keynote, Xbox 360 games in the Games With Gold service will be backwards compatible on Xbox One. Meaning, if you own a Xbox One, you'd be getting four free games a month. I'm always excited to see what's going to be free next month.

Reactions: Stay Puft
Games with Gold titles currently are The Walking Dead: Season One which is freakin' awesome. If you haven't played this yet, download it now for free and you'll see it's even better than the TV show!

You can also pick up Valiant Hearts on Xbox One for free. I haven't heard much about it.

Finally, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is still showing up for free for Xbox 360 even though it was supposed to be done yesterday so hurry and grab it!

Free games are free games so I guess we shouldnt complain. However, Sony usually offers a higher quality (and quantity) of free games over Microsoft. But I highly recommend download all the free games you see even if you don't plan on playing them just because that is why you are playing for Gold or your PSN account.

As a PlayStation+ subscriber, the so called free (even though they're not free really because I pay £50 a year for the privilege) aren't all that good either to be honest.

They're certainly a lot worse now than they was at the start anyway, in my opinion.

I have it and I love it. I don't get to play games as much I as used to, but my son has lots of free time on his hands and is a big gamer. Getting these free games each month is awesome, because I don't have to worry about him getting bored and wanting to go blow a ton of money at the game store. He plays almost anything, so it's pretty easy to keep him happy with the games they give.
The cool thing is, the way I understand, even if you don't have an Xbox One yet, you can still "purchase" the games they give for it. Then when you finally do get one, you have a whole library of games to play.

Yes, if you download these games while they are free, the full version always gets assigned to your Gamertag. So you can delete the game from your hard drive but will always be able to re-download it again (as long as you are a paying member).
It is just one of the perks of paying for an online subscription so take advantage.

Thanks for the input PlayStationers but this is an Xbox thread. :p I'm sure PS+ has great offerings, so go ahead and create a thread about it. :p

Back on topic, this month's Xbox offerings are:

Xbox One
Pneuma: Breath of Life from November 1st to November 30th.
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season from October 16th to November 15th. (I highly recommend this by the way - it's better than the TV show).

Xbox 360
DiRT 3 from November 1st to November 15th
Dungeon Siege III from November 16th to 30th