Games That Make You Pay

DreekLass

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
There are many types of games out there these days. In the last few years or so there have been an increase in games that make you pay to continue playing. The fist game that I stumbled across that made users do this as Candy Crush Saga on facebook. I have never actually paid, because I am not about to waste my money on a game like that, but as more time goes by, more games seem to be adopting this manner of conduct. Android/tablet games are also a pain for this as well. And they are also very sly when the in-game tutorial is in action; they make you spend precious coins/jewels and it is only when you know how the game works that you realize how long it takes to earn said coins/jewels - and that if you want more, you have to pay for them. Very sly.

Do you stay away from pay to play games? Or do you not mind them?

In Candy Crush you can at least set your clock forward for additional tries! And you're not really hurting anyone by spending a ton of money on it, although I personally find it kind of silly. I hate pay to win games with a passion however, especially when they're multiplayer, and I wish the model would disappear completely. I don't mind a monthly subscription, though, if it means that the game is being worked upon and that new content is coming out continuously.

I stay away from them, and taking candy crush for example. I don't play it enough to justify paying money for it. So in my case, it is not worth it in the slightest. There's too many ways the try to squeeze out the money that it becomes kind of ridiculous. haha. Even so, they do know how to make the model work. So that's why I tend to stay away from these kind of games.

Reactions: DreekLass
Inglenook, a monthly subscription - and even going into a store and buying a game - isn't the same as paying to pay games. There is something very sly and manipulative about pay to play games. If you are paying for new content that keeps being released throughout the lifetime of the game, then that is amazing, but paying for jewels and or coins, otherwise you are forced to wait a ridiculous amount of time? I really dislike that gaming formula.

I will try to avoid any online games that make you pay. Basically they create an unfair advantage to those players who are willing to play. We need to keep paying otherwise it would be difficult to complete with other players in a fair manner. It has better to act safe rather than feeling sorry.

I don't like games that make you pay because at the point I am not enjoying it. I don't want to keep wondering if I can play again because it has a monthly rate on it, or better yet be told I need to pay when I log on as opposed to being able to just log on and have fun. Really I just can't like a game that feels the need to use money as a reason to play it because if the game is good enough people should want to pay for things in the game and not have it as a condition in order for me to have fun.

Sometimes it's impossible to stay away from thee games.Candy Crush is a prime example of these types of games. They'd have you believe that it's completely free to play when you start playing this game. Fast forward a couple of stages, you begin to realize that things are getting a bit tough and ridiculously hard and it's impossible to advance easily without buying something from the store.

I'm okay with paying for in app purchases but I'm very careful with trying to stay objective. I know a lot of people get roped in by first getting addicted by the game and therefore they spend a lot for the upgrades but I just try and see it as rationally as I can and remember that there are plenty of other games out there and plenty of other things I can spend my money on.

I totally avoid games with premium currency and microtransactions, it's just not worth it.

1. There is no sense of achievement in unlocking the higher level items, since people would just think that you spent money on it.

2. Microtransactions add up to a lot over time. I know of people who spend 10 dollars a month on such games, which is actually pretty little, in a few months I could already have an AAA game title instead!

Personally I'd rather spend the money buying a game for my xbox. There just really isn't any real point in paying for extras in games like candy crush and such on facebook. What do you really get back in return? It's just like converting money over into lindens in secondlife, unless you are some kind of coding genius and can set up a legit business on secondlife; you are pretty much just wasting your money.

Inglenook, a monthly subscription - and even going into a store and buying a game - isn't the same as paying to pay games. There is something very sly and manipulative about pay to play games. If you are paying for new content that keeps being released throughout the lifetime of the game, then that is amazing, but paying for jewels and or coins, otherwise you are forced to wait a ridiculous amount of time? I really dislike that gaming formula.
You definitely have your definitions mixed up. Paying to play just means that the game costs money (as opposed to free to play). Pay to WIN-games are games where you get further ahead the more money you spend via the ingame shop. Those games are usually free to play, but those who pay get so many perks that you're suckered into buying ingame currency/items/elixirs.

Sometimes it's impossible to stay away from these games.Candy Crush is a prime example of these types of games. They'd have you believe that it's completely free to play when you start playing this game. Fast forward a couple of stages, you begin to realize that things are getting a bit tough and ridiculously hard and it's impossible to advance easily without buying something from the store.

I agree with you. I will have less interest to play some games if I have to pay at the very beginning. I start playing because I am curious not because I want to play it. I will play if it is free, otherwise I will stay away from the game. However, you will find it is difficult to continue playing without paying. It is free to play at the beginning but ultimately require you pay to play especially when you find out the fun and get hooked to it.