Games made into movies

I'm disappointed that Lucas probably isn't going to progress with the Star Wars franchise. I know that the actors are old now, so let's make a Knights of the Old Republic movie. It could be done so well.

The thing is, Lucas is planning on continuing the Star Wars franchise on TV. The problem is, one series will be a 3D animated re-hash of the Clone Wars series. The other series will be a live-actioner that takes place between Episodes III and IV. It's like he's afraid of his own extended mythos.

Gorege Sucks and we all know it. He has a way to sucker us in more and more each time. We all saw Ep1 and followed to the two films. But just like a battered woman we still come back to him. So why should he expand on KOTOR. it really wont matter because he's all about the cash now ( he's making a Indy 4 come on why why why). Truth be told I think he cant follow in those steps of what others has done for his series. The stories were better and the characters has more depth.

Look at Lucas' history (paraphrasing of course):

- "It was originally writeen as a nine-act story, but only going to be one movie" - then he made three
- "No more Star Wars movies." - Whoops, he made three more.
- "I'm too old for three more movies. This is it." - Shall we beleive him?

Nope.

They will continue the franchise with books/novels, video games, comics, the fan club, web sites, etc., until all the younger fans grow up - again - and want to make the next three movies.

Sure, Lucasarts might focus on other things for a while so as not to completely overwhelm us with Star Wars products, but it will never go away.

Yes SW is here to stay like Trek it will never get old and never get new. But will it ever get dull that is the question?

Hasn't the Mario Bros. Movie taught you guys ANYTHING?????

NO VIDEOGAME MOVIES! Because if I have to drag my ass to one more of these things just to feel like I am supporting the industry I am probably going to strangle Uwe Boll.

Doing the walk of shame after buying a Doom ticket was the last straw for me.

scribe999 said:
The thing is, Lucas is planning on continuing the Star Wars franchise on TV. The problem is, one series will be a 3D animated re-hash of the Clone Wars series. The other series will be a live-actioner that takes place between Episodes III and IV. It's like he's afraid of his own extended mythos.

Scribe- how incredibly bad ass would a New Jedi Order series in the same vein of Battlestar Galactica on the SciFi channel be for us SW fans who are familar with the Expanded Universe? I mean I bet you could even get Mark Hamill to play and older Luke and start the series with Jana and Jacen Solo getting into the Academy. Why would this NOT be a good idea???? It is almost like a clean slate for people new to EU and there would be characters that they would be familar with. And VONG baby!

Last edited:
I know the original Lucas story is 9 pieces. I don't think he'll follow through with the last three, but I think after he's gone, Lucas Arts will do it. I heard in an interview once that he stopped thinking about the last three because the actors had aged so much and "Luke" messed up his face so bad in that car accident.

However, I don't think he's in it for the money. He's loaded and already has everything he wants. I do think that he shouldn't be the one directing any more movies. If you look back at the series, the 3rd and 5th (ROTS and ESB), they were some of the best. He didn't do Empire and he brought in Spielburg for Ep.3. George gets too cutesy Ewok and Jar-Jar for me.

He may finish the series, though if he can get the technology to scan the actors in and do them CG. Iron out a few of Harrison Ford's wrinkles.

Uhhhh.....Ok, so i didn't pay to see the Doom movie at the theatre....I waited until it came out on PPV.....You guys are right about the story, but should you really take away the FPS cutscene they had at the end.....I thought it was well done on that aspect.......The lighting in the film could have been done better, but i complain about that in videogames too.......The final fight scene was dec............ok, it sucked.....Being a huge wrestling fan, i was not impressed at all with the Rock's performance....Rock....hang up the towel and go back to the squared circle.............."If you smell what the Rock......is.......cookin'".........As for a videogame movie i'd like to see made, there are many.....I'll go with the upcoming Halo for now

Please do not bring up Mario Brothers its like Street Fighter. But only Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat has had good translations. (MK1 only). I think it can be done you just have to pick the right game and the right take the plot in the right direction. Do you really think Halo movie will be good. I hope so Not like that wack ass Doom. Spy Hunter is gonna suck. But if SH is good then that means thigs can change and we can get good translations.

I'm not sure what I want to side with here...

Half of me is going "NO, NO VIDEOGAME MOVIES WHATSOEVER. REMEMBER FF: SPIRITS FROM WITHIN. (and others XD)" Then that annoying (but righteous) little voice inside me goes, "Yeah, well, remember Advent Children? That kicked ass. Plus wouldn't Zelda on the big screen be sweet? Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask? Or even Link's Awakening (my personal fave)?" This little voice gets a bit of backup too from some of the books that have recently made a successful transition to the silver screen, like Chronicles of Narnia (good stuff, Lewis would've been proud--or raving mad, I'm really not sure which, cause he didn't want a movie). LotR did pretty good too considering how boring the books got after The Hobbit. But books aren't games, and also tend to have more of a plot than the average game....

Well, that's my 2-cents. Rip it apart as you will :D.

Y'know, the only thing I really want is for Uwe Boll to be destroyed. After that, perhaps movies made from gaming properties might stand a chance.

It wasn't too long ago that aside from a handful of titles, movies based on comic books almost all universally sucked as well. Now, since the X-Men movie came out, we've had X-Men 2, Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins...all well-crafted movies that respected the source material. Sure, there's been the mistakes like Daredevil, The Hulk, Fantastic Four and Catwoman, but I would LOVE it if movies based on games could have nearly the track record of comic book films have had recently.

Maybe Silent Hill will change things. The interview with the director seems to indicate the he's serious about crafting it as a film that doesn't ignore the vibe of the game, but doesn't slavishly devote itself to the game as well.

Yes the time for good translations has come ppl. As long as They respect the sorce material. I've been in heated debates on the Batman film. I thought Begins was better than the Tim Burton film. And from what has been said about the next two films this might be the Batman we should've had years Ago. Resident Evil 3 (now titled Extinction) might be good. And ther is word for aother tomb raider could be possible. Now that movie should not be touched at all. A Animated Devil May Cry would kick ass. CG like Advent Children. (Virlgil is then Man)

I Just Saw SH. And I'm not Gonna say anything good or bad. But I need answers. I nvere got around to playing the rest of them. And I barely remember 1. So I need details. on 2-3

lol....but i mean for real.....it would be cool......it would kinda be like star trek....but with more action...and better characters + better weapons.....lol....i want them to make a movie....hell they made a book

How about a movie based on the 'Hitman' franchise? A jazzy script and a good director could probably do some justice to Agent 47, despite the over abundance of other hitman type movies. Also, I think a really cool CG (final fantasy style) animated movie taken from 'Shadow of the Colossus' would be uber cool. They wouldn't really need a story (just like the game), just have wander fight incredibly huge, fully rendered colossi for 90 minutes and release it on DVD, pure gold. Lastly, though I know a movie version of this is already in pre-production, a very cool 'Tekken' movie would make my day, but I have little to no confidence in the writer or director of the current project, so this one still counts as a wish, and the anime Tekken movie doesn't count because it sucked. peace.