GameFAQs

the_roach

Narrative Cosmotect
Registered
Oct 6, 2005
The Great Valley
Any GameFAQs message board or IRC chat alumni out there? Current users? Thoughts on the site presently or its past?

I was there near the beginning of the boards and for a year or two after that, the Golden Age. Was in the chat until around the time it closed down. Came back briefly during the chaotic height of LUE (Life, Universe and Everything else) and Random Insanity boards. Then it got bought out by CNet. Around that time, CJayC, the admin, quarantined the users of LUE so that no one except the members of that board can look at it, and no new members can join after a set date. That's more or less an accurate timeline.

I'm convinced LUE and RI propagated its users throughout the internet and continues to cause even more chaos (see 4chan /b/ board). :/

Well, I brought up GameFAQs because if you were a gamer 13 or older in the late 90s and early 00s, odds are good that you went through the GameFAQs system. And I figure that although you might have left, you're still posting on some smaller boards. Just a curiosity for me.

Storied history it has.

I've been able to find former GameFAQers on other various boards; guess not here. Oh well, I was just curious that I might be talking to someone I knew before.

It's weird. The era of gaming before I had the internet and before I discovered gamefaqs was like the dark age, when games were mystical for their secrets and challenges, especially growing up in a small town. The only access to a broader gaming mind was through the old Nintendo Powers and a few other mags. I remember being stuck on this one puzzle in Lufia II forever until I stumbled upon the solution in an old Nintendo Power Q&A section. Now it's just logging on, finding a FAQ, control+f, and solve. MUST.. RESIST..