Game of the Year 2008

What about "time devotion"? That's a major selling point, for me at least. I love SFHD, but Fallout 3 has me hooked. I've spent something like 70-80 hours on that game. For a gamer like me who hates RPGs (traditional and action), I think getting me hooked for 80 hours is something special. No game has had me hooked for anything even close to that long. The only reason I'm not playing F3 now is because I'm at the max level, and I have to wait 'til The Pitt DLC for the limit to be raised. I could never spend 80 hours on SFHD. That goes a long way for my GoTY.

Last edited:
kurruption said:
We are never come to an agreement on this are we. Street Fighter HD, is still Street Fighter II, just like the Bionic Commando downloadable game is still Bionic Commando, Just like Rygar on the Wii is still the same Rygar that was on the PS2. You can update everything you want, it still doesn't change the fact that it's a fresh paint of coat and a new engine over the same car you always had. I don't agree with your pick for GOTY, but at least you didn't pick Guilty Gear Overture.
Honestly, there's more different between HD Remix and SF2 than there is between Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

And cmon, Mav. 80 hours is the longest you've spent on a game?! I spent 80 hours on Smash Bros Brawl and I hate that game. I spent over 140 on Capcom vs. SNK 2, King of Fighters Neowave, Smash Bros Melee, Oblivion, Xenosaga 1, MLB 2k8, Morrowind, MGS3 (I don't even know how I pulled that off), Suikoden 3, .hack// (yes, seriously) and a few others. And I spent over 200 hours on Soul Calibur 2 and Guilty Gear XX Reload.

And again, none of this changes the fact that Fallout 3 is terribly glitchy to the point of being potentially unbeatable. And I would be willing to bet that the three (four of us, with Gillman) have had at least a few side-quests become unbeatable or ended abruptly due to glitches.

How on earth do you spend that much time on one game? Taking out things like work, family, girlfriends, etc. and just focusing on games, there are just way too many games I always need to play and finish. Instead of replaying a great game like MGS4 or BioShock, I'd rather move on to other potentially great games like PoP, or Fable 2, or Far Cry 2, or the upcoming Killzone and RE5.

In my adult life I really feel that 80 hours is the most time I've ever spent on a single game. After Fallout 3, I would guess I maybe spent something like 40-50 hours on games like RB2, GTA4, CoD:MW, Gears 2 (only because of horde mode), maybe Mass Effect, and maybe The Orange Box.

No kidding, hell I have games that are still sealed on my shelf, the worst part is I'm a JRPG fan, guess how many I've fully played through? It took about 6 months to beat FFXII, the last game I fully played through was Lost Odyssey, that was in November.

And about Fallout being glitched, I would say it's more like poor design choices, I did have one quest where I wondered into an area that I could not get out from and was not at a high enough level to beat, thankfully I do keep multiple save files, which did not cause too much of a headache!

Maverick said:
How on earth do you spend that much time on one game? Taking out things like work, family, girlfriends, etc. and just focusing on games, there are just way too many games I always need to play and finish. Instead of replaying a great game like MGS4 or BioShock, I'd rather move on to other potentially great games like PoP, or Fable 2, or Far Cry 2, or the upcoming Killzone and RE5.

In my adult life I really feel that 80 hours is the most time I've ever spent on a single game. After Fallout 3, I would guess I maybe spent something like 40-50 hours on games like RB2, GTA4, CoD:MW, Gears 2 (only because of horde mode), maybe Mass Effect, and maybe The Orange Box.
Part of it is that I look to actually become proficient in the games I play. I aim to be able to fight tourney players in Street Fighter and dispatch a zillion zombies in RE4 without having to use an herb.

The other thing is that I don't buy every good game around. I don't own DMC4, Resistance 1, Mass Effect, Forza 2, and many other big games. I don't have an endless stream of games (or a Gamefly account.

But cmon. Fighting games are an endless source of replayability and competition. For a good fighting game, it's tough NOT to play it for 80 hours.