Final Fantasy 7, The good old days

King Draco

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
I was playing final fantasy 7 the other day. And I started thinking to my self, "oh how gaming changed". There are few games with a story-line like that one. Any thoughts on the game itself?

Loved that game. It put Final Fantasy games on the map in my opinion. It was so simple compared to games today. It would amazing if they ever redid it.

I know right!! FF7 was my first Final Fantasy game I played that I actually was like "wow". If they were ever to redo the game, I'll be a happy man.

Legend of Dragoon and Legend of Legaia were two of my first favorites, then my friend in school got me hooked on the hype of a new game coming out, the newest final fantasy - it was called FF7 and it took place in a grunge-city slums type atmosphere that felt steampunk in a way (the MAKO factories). I totally dug it from the word go, playing through so much content, failed hours of constantly racing and breeding chocobos trying to find the elusive gold breed (before reading a guide) - this game just had so much content. It had a likable cast of characters, a very storied world (or so it felt)

This game is childhood nostalgia extraordinaire. Here's some of my favorite tunes:

(Cosmo Canyon for those who can't view it)

And

(Underwater music in the Submarine for those who can't view it)

It just had such a fantastic OST. Nobuo, you the man.

Arguably, THE best one. I'll do everyone a favor and not call my kid in here to respond, lol. It's her very favorite game of all time, and no harsh word shall ever be spoken against it in her presence. Going to hide now, I think i hear chocobo music.

Regarding story it's absolutely the best one, the music was nothing short of awesome also. Before I bought the game I was reading about it a lot in the magazines, and after a local gaming magazine put it on #1 spot of their top 50 PS1 games I had to get it. This is a great analysis of the games story (more videos are on their channel):

Yeah, my kiddo loves the music too. I get the music stuck in my head sometimes from her playing it so much.

It wasn't my first, nor my last. I just loved everything about it. From the grunge story, to using the planets life as energy/electric and killing our world, the the premises and villains (wanting to use the Earth as a ship to sail through the cosmos? pretty evil..) just had a nice dark gothic tone that most people latched on. I personally love 10 the best, followed by 8 and then 7. I just thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am so glad that I am not the only one that thinks that FF7 is one of the bests FF games, and game period. I would look forward in seeing an upgraded version of the game. I will literally start tearing up.

The game is one of the best FF games of my childhood. It has a great story, game play and the characters are so original and very unique. I have played it in the PC using an emulator and I am enjoying it. I finished its prequel in the PSP FF7: Crisis Core in which the protagonist is Zack Fair the one in Cloud’s flashback in the original FF 7. This and Final Fantasy 10 would be my favorite FF games of the series.

One thing I hated about FF7 - or really, FF6 as well - was the humor. Not only it was not really funny and just uselessly slapsticky and silly, it came in the worst possible moments as well...

To be honest, for some reason, I didn't like playing any Final Fantasy game outside the "pixelated" group — the first FF to the 6th one. I did, however, enjoy watching my sister play them. She's an avid fan of Final Fantasy. :D

10 is my favorite game of the series, but 7 is amazing as well. I absolutely love Nobuo's soundtrack, as well as how expansive the overworld is.

I didn't get around to playing FF7 until around 2 or 3 years ago. It was good for sure, but without having the nostalgia I didn't think it was amazing..

I remember saving all my allowance money to buy the game a few months after it came out. I know it doesn't compare to modern games but,it was like no other game at the time.It had amazing music by Nobu and cutting edge 3d graphics and a story that left you in tears. I played over 200 hours unlocking all the hidden dungeons and characters story lines. FFVII set the bar for RPG excellence for years to come.

I personally liked Ff8 a little more, but admittedly I gave it much more of a chance because I prefer the proportions of the characters on it rather than the cure ones in FF7. I did get to play Crisis Core though which from what I understand is very much related to FF7, and I enjoyed that one thoroughly.

my thoughts on the game, is that it's the most over-rated videogame of all time. It was "alright" but not amazing. The storyline honestlly was crap - there are MANY better RPG out there for storyline. Some way older than final fantasy 7.
&
That said, I am eternally grateful to final fantasy 7 for what it did for RPGs in western society. It was the first RPG to achieve commercial success of that magnitude. And it ushered in an era where we get more games brought over here in english for us to enjoy.

Final Fantasy 7 is average at best. I had fun in the golden saucer. And thats about it.

I hated all of the characters from the emotionless/blank slate main character (cloud), to the Big Boobs McGee, Tifa who has ZERO personality also of any kind. -- Though they did better in the movie Advent Children explaining about the characters and made them seem more likeable to me.

The gameplay was also unimaginative and unmemorable to me. I much prefer Final Fantasy 6 It was less linear and more adventurous and fun, and the scenes and moments and characters etched in my mind still to this day, such as celes in the opera house, locke and rachel, and a STRONG female character that was more than just her body IE: Terra.

Lovely game, still over-rated as are most square titles though.

The only title worthy of the hype it gets, and perhaps even deserving of more hype by Square is Chrono Trigger/cross.

-----------------------------

Final Fantasy 8 had another emotionless cold main character, (Squall), BUT the difference is, as the game progresses you witness his transformation and how he opens his heart. It had a pretty good story line 100 times better than 7.

While the CONCEPT/PREMISE of 7 was good, about the circle of life basically and how all things are connected, it was just executed really poorly.

----------------------

Oddly.... I really love the story in 10 and it's one of the most hated FF games and Tidus is very hated, but man, it was such a DELIGHTFUL change to me compared to the last 3 installments of blankslate emotionless characters. (aside from vivi in 9 he was awesome, but GAAWD zidane....... awful..... about as interesting as a sack of potatoes.

I also like the one with lightning, from a story standpoint, forgot the number, and people also hated it.

So maybe I'm just really weird.

Can't tell you how much I played this back in the day, I even ended up buying the game a few times because discs kept getting lost.

Loved the story, characters and music. I also liked the movie sequel it had.

I just made a post about how much I love this game's music!

And yes, it's an amazing game. The story is incredible. The characters, all the different worlds and monsters you encounter; it's all so creative. So unique. It's a very long game and it never gets boring. Few games can rival it.