FFXII Gambit tips

Well, I'm really early into this still, but I've been giving my range fighter/magic users (i.e. Balthier and his bunny lady friend) commands to heal an ally below 50% health. I accidentally set Fran's gambit to 'Attack' at one point and I was confused when she kept killing guys I brought back to life with a Phoenix Down.

I'm still fuzzy on the License system right now as weapon and magic upgrades seem to come well after my ability to upgrade licenses.

Yeah, I'm guessing at the stage I'm at (just after Balthier and Fran join the party for the first time) the gambits will be best used as an auto-heal function.

I gather that at some point, you'll be able to have a gambit that has the character attacking any foes at crit. HP levels first, which means you get rid of enemies more systematically. That's a good one.

Well thanks to the new licence system they have every party member uses cure. When you get further into the game and get more gambits and such it becomes a LOT more easy to use. I find myself at times not even doing a thing but a phinox down every now and then.

Here's what I use My casters/ranged

Heal 60% any ally
attack party targets leader
attack foe targeting leader
curea any ally under 40%

This is what I use only, I have more gambits but I do not turn them on until I run into a certain boss. Like I have a silence gambit and so forth.

My fighters I use Vaan and Penelo as my leaders all the time so for them

Attack party leaders target,
Cure any ally under 60%
Attack foe targeting leader

For the other two it's about the same just more variations on attacks

The best tip I can give you is to make sure you have a potion, or HI Potion gambit set up at all times. But do not turn them on until you run into a boss who is destroying your party. Once you have a ton of gambits turn them off while your just moving around the world and not really enaging in heated battles. I have about 20 now with my figters and I only use about 4-5 gambits at a time.

Also when in your part try the set up of a Fighter, leader, and rang. Try to keep one in at a time, unless the boss is a air or something. Any other questions ask me.

Thanks, Luda! Those are pretty useful templates. I've been a bit lost playing the game (which is odd, since I didn't have any problems with FFX's sphere grid), but that cleared up some questions as to what I should be focusing on.

See that what I did made healing first then I kept on getting my face kicked in. So I changed it up switched it to second on the list. Most of the gambits I got I bought from the store for about 50 gil a pop. I just recently jsut started to get the ones I really needed but I had already had the spells for them.

Now on the Licence side of things I kinda took the big map thats in the stratagy guide out. I was not gonna pay 20 bucks for a book just so I can use the map thingy. So I tried to work out a plan Fran is my black mage and because I had to switch Ashe to a magic user.....long painful story.............I mad her my white mage. And wait till you can get the quickinins they work wonders once you get the hang of them.

To tell the truth scoops they don't really work like that. The gambits work in order of inportance. Heal first fight second, or fight first heal second. Once a ally drops below a set point then someone will heal. IE if Bach is below the 40% mark then he will stop fighting and cast heal on himself, even if Fran or whoever is casting it on Bach, Or maybe Bach will cast it on and ally. It works kinda funny but it works for me. It may not work for you depending on who you have been leveling up your party. Some times I have to retreat from a battle and re group and re-set gambits. If your doing Hunts then you may run into a bum here and there, until the part y is at good levels.

Depends what level you are, if your level is way higher than that of the walls than healing isn't your biggest priority. Attacking more than one foe I think makes things easier, and anyways you can always target the foe with the lowest health.

But if your level is lower health and all your cures should be put before your attacks, because at some point one of your members will be attacking and the rest of the party will be healing.