Favorite video game music?

MikeyPaine

Registered
Feb 8, 2015
One of my favorite parts about playing old school games is the music. Plenty of classic old school games have super great music. My favorite isn't actually very old, it's an XBLA title called "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". Very fun retro beat 'em up.

How about you?

I'm not a huge fan of videogame music outside of the medium, so I would have to say probably Doom. One of the few games with music that gets me pumped up every time I hear the tracks, doesn't matter if it's ingame or not.

Company of Heroes has an AMAZING soundtrack with stuff from Jeremy Soule and Ian Livingstone.
Honestly though, if you want a list of some of the most amazing Soundtracks in games, you simply need to look at whatever Jeremy Soule is working on because he is simply amazing. Check out his discography at Wikipedia if you don't believe me.

I would have to say the Final Fantasy series has a great soundtrack. The music is beautiful, and the pianist is very talented. I listen to it even when I am not playing the game.

The only game music that still sticks with me today is Zelda Ocarina of Time. That game had some of the most memorable music tracks! It was a blast using the C-buttons to play your ocarina.

I never played any of the Final Fantasy games, so I can't comment on those.

Thanks for the responses!

Final Fantasy is a good choices, not necessarily my favorite type of video game music, but a good choice regardless! So is Ocarina of Time, but I haven't played Doom. I love the more chiptune-y video game music, personally.

Chrono Cross and Kingdom Hearts are definitely up there. Listening to "Time's Scar" was just amazing. There are so many good tracks from both games that I can't pick xD

If we're talking old school retro games, my number one beat would have to be the theme song to Super Mario Bros (1985). It's famous across the globe!

But if we are talking newer games, could you argue that GTA V has a good soundtrack? It has 17 radio stations, with 15 of the having over 20 songs each, the others being talk back radio, hosted by well known celebrities.

It's not a sound track written for the game, but the time and effort to select the appropriate songs and file them for use would have taken an equally impressive amount of time!

Man, Hotline Miami wins this one by a mile for me... I just loved the soundtrack so much! Plus, it works just as well to listen to casually. The groovy, retro-like style just got to me. It's pretty sick, and if you haven't heard or played Hotline Miami yet, then you should.

Payday 2 also has an awesome soundtrack, which is still being updated regularly as updates come out. I would compare the music to a modern type of the Hotline Miami soundtrack. I still get excited every time a new music update comes out, since they've all been plain amazing so far.

The theme from Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. I love every theme from it specially the last song at the end of the game.

I love the music in duck tales, specially the remake is pretty awesome, the moon theme specifically, I think it lies in the subconscious of many gamers and gives many of us nostalgic feelings.

The Final Fantasy, Mega Man, and Metroid series all have wonderful soundtracks worth checking out.

In terms of video game music there is not even a single game out there that could come close to the godlike music of Touhou. The soundtrack of Touhou is absolutely phenomenal in every game of the series.

If we're talking old school retro games, my number one beat would have to be the theme song to Super Mario Bros (1985). It's famous across the globe!

But if we are talking newer games, could you argue that GTA V has a good soundtrack? It has 17 radio stations, with 15 of the having over 20 songs each, the others being talk back radio, hosted by well known celebrities.

It's not a sound track written for the game, but the time and effort to select the appropriate songs and file them for use would have taken an equally impressive amount of time!
The Mario Bros theme will never die, nor will the nostalgia for the classic game. Just thinking about it makes me want to play The Lost Levels. And while on the topic of Mario, the Galaxy games have amazing soundtracks as well. My favorites were Boo Waltz, Melty Molten Galaxy, and Space Junk Galaxy. That piano made me melt <3

Zelda: A Link to the Past on Super Nintendo has my heart on this one. I am sure that for today's Gaming Generation, the music is too simple and repetitive, but to me, it is still a classic and set MANY fundamentals in most of today's Zelda game music. I am that nerd that has this same Zelda music set as ringtones on her phone, and trust me, I am not ashamed =^.^=

Hmm.

I remember just idling here in Chrono Trigger to listen to the music while I did homework.

Hmm..

AndI agree with touhou, my favorite being Sakuya's stage, generall. Luna Dial, I think it was. Also, U.N Owen Was Her for Flandre was an awesome song.

I like Street Fighter music a lot. I never really noticed it before while I was playing the game but now that many people have mentioned it online I started to appreciate it a lot more, and just hearing it gives me a feeling of nostalgia.

Reactions: dillinger10
Street Fighter would be my vote for favorite video game music, also. It really added to the overall enjoyment of the game for me.

I could listen to this on a loop all day long: