Favorite SNES/Genesis games?

Fang

Registered
Nov 6, 2014
For those who grew up playing in the era of 16-bit cartridge games, what games in that era would you consider to be your favorites, and most memorable?

Mine would have to be Earthbound. That game was so bizarre, but fun! You're a boy that hits people with baseball bats and yoyos! Random crows, gophers and hippies attack you! A guy will randomly drop out of the sky every once in a while to take a picture of you! It had a silly and ridiculous charm to it that makes me think very fondly of the game.

Final Fantasy VI is another game I remember loving. The game had a great story, with great music and a very unique cast of characters that I couldn't help but love, and also wonder why they're there. There's a tarzan-like kid. And a ninja!

So, what are your favorite and most memorable 16-bit games?

Last edited:
My all time favorite game in that era was Zombies ate my neighbors. Not necessarily because it was a great game but because each time I think of it it brings me right back to my childhood. This used to be my favorite game because it was "scary" (at that age, the zombies seemed really scary). Today I laugh at it but I still think it's awesome that the gaming industry started from these really simple games.

My all time favorite game in that era was Zombies ate my neighbors. Not necessarily because it was a great game but because each time I think of it it brings me right back to my childhood. This used to be my favorite game because it was "scary" (at that age, the zombies seemed really scary). Today I laugh at it but I still think it's awesome that the gaming industry started from these really simple games.

Wow I was going to post the same game. I thought nobody else would. Yea that was my favorite game for the Super Nintendo but it was difficult as heck after a few levels. I never came close to beating it.

Favorite Genesis games were Warrior of Rome and Shining in the Darkness. WOR was a turn base strategy game and SITD was a RPG. I spent many hours on these games. Most of my summers was spent in locked away in my room playing these games. Lots of memories.

It has to be Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2. These are games I absolutely loved back then and even still do. They gave me hours of no ending fun, trying to beat them, failing and succeeding in the process. The music for these games were one of the best things for me. I remember most of them and they're very memorable for me. Then there's the level design which was pretty damn amazing for me. I found myself failing and losing until I could figure the best possible way to beat each stage in a short amount of time. I failed a lot, yet none of it felt like it wasn't worth it.

These games were pretty fantastic from beginning to end.

I can't believe I forgot about Donkey Kong Country. During that time frame it had the best graphics of any video game. Took everyone by storm. And it was a fun game. Wow this thread brings back some real good memories !

And I never even had a Super Nintendo. I went from NES to N64. Luckily all my friends had it though. Would have been nice to play Donkey Kong Country at home instead of bicycling 2 miles to my friend's house just to play it but my school work probably would have gone to shit if I did have the SNES lol. Later on in college I played all these games on emulators.

Donkey Kong Country 2. I truly believe it's the greatest game in the history of SNES, even better than Mario World. It was a great game, and I liked how it was able to slightly reinvent itself from part one. Great levels, and EXCELLENT music..to this day, the best I ever heard in any video game

I had so many favorite games on Genesis because it was my most favorite console. I loved playing Jurassic Park on it even though I never really appreciated the movie itself until I was a bit older. Also, I loved playing Xmen games there and I was really surprised at how good they could be since all I had to compare them to were their badly made counterparts on Nintendo.

I think Golden Axe II and Streets of Rage were for the Genesis right? I liked mostly those kinds of games as well as Sonic. I can't really say I liked one game more than the other for this system. On the other hand, there are a few I could live without remembering on it as well.

I am with @Kuzan on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed playing SNES games such as Doctor Mario, Super Mario World, Super Mario Cart, and Donkey Kong. I still love playing these games. The SNES console and games have a vast variety to please everyone.

The best ever SNES game for me personally is Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I also really loved Mario Paint. Those are two games that shaped who I am today, and were really fun to play with my little sister. Too bad I live so far from my hometown now or I'd go buy those games. I have an SNES but nobody in my house likes to play it, unfortunately.

For those who grew up playing in the era of 16-bit cartridge games, what games in that era would you consider to be your favorites, and most memorable?

Mine would have to be Earthbound. That game was so bizarre, but fun! You're a boy that hits people with baseball bats and yoyos! Random crows, gophers and hippies attack you! A guy will randomly drop out of the sky every once in a while to take a picture of you! It had a silly and ridiculous charm to it that makes me think very fondly of the game.

Final Fantasy VI is another game I remember loving. The game had a great story, with great music and a very unique cast of characters that I couldn't help but love, and also wonder why they're there. There's a tarzan-like kid. And a ninja!

So, what are your favorite and most memorable 16-bit games?
I LOVED Earthbound! The only annoying thing about the game was getting the rare drops for the best weapons and stuff. Just remembering the Sword of Kings and how long it took me to get it still haunts me to this day...

Another SNES game that I recently found is Adventure of Hourai High. I had to get a translated rom but the jig is that you're a student at Hourai High, which sits on an island outside of Japan and has a bunch of other places there besides the massive school (such as a jungle that has dinosaurs and giant sunflowers). You're part of the Newspaper club that runs around to uncover a plot of certain individuals that want to take over the school by implementing crazy school rules and gathering a set of mystic school supplies to obtain power to complete their plan.

No, I'm not making any of that up. That is basically the plot , just shortened. It reminds me of a cross between earthbound and Final Fantasy since you can join school clubs that give you special abilities, especially ones that you get if you join two specific clubs (learning trigonometry plus learning how to make a sandwich somehow gives me the ability to shoot fireballs...seems legit)

My favorite Genesis game of all time is a pretty easy choice for me - Sonic the Hedgehog 2. NBA Jam would take the runner-up spot with Mortal Kombat II in third place.

For the SNES, things are a little more complicated, but ultimately, my favorite game has to be Street Fighter II Turbo. This still ranks among my top 5 all time favorite multiplayer games. Other favorite SNES games include Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World and WWF Wrestlemania.

We had a SuperNES but it was already being overshadowed by the immortal Playstation when we bought ours. The games that we played on the thing were Mortal Kombat 3 and Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the US). It was all fun but, whenever we played the MK3, it was black and white because there was something wrong with the cables and stuff. We eventually got it working and we were in love with the console, that is of course before our Playstation 1 came in.

I am going to agree with a few of the previous posters and say The Zombies Ate My Neighbors is my all time favorite SNES game. The game was fun and I never grew tired of it. It was just an all around good game. I played the game for hours on end growing up.

During my youth, Super Metroid was hands down my favourite 16-bit game on either console. However, looking back over the SNES' truly phenomenal library: I can only say that Super Metroid was one of the best 16-bit console games, but it isn't the greatest 16-bit console game!

My vote for the all-time greatest 16-bit console game is, in fact: Chrono Trigger on the SNES! In fact, I moreover consider Chrono Trigger to be the greatest Square RPG of all time!

Chrono_Trigger_cover.jpg

There are certainly plenty of other RPGs with epic stories that include numerous surprising plot twists and affords various alternate endings, side quests, extra hidden playable characters, etc--but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that spans so many multiple disparate chronological eras, thereby blending together several sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella, and incorporates powerful, novel, and down-right fun cause-and-effect time travel scenarios! I used to say that Chrono Trigger was the Doctor Who of video games, but perhaps it's more apt to say that it's the DC's Legends of Tomorrow of video games!

Moreover, Chrono Trigger had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed the player's party to grow together as a team, learning special character specific team-work moves, rather than as merely separate individuals unto themselves!

Chrono Trigger is an all round near perfect gem of a game, and my vote for the greatest 16-bit console game period!

Reactions: dillinger10
Chrono Trigger is one of my all time favorite RPG's also, however, in checking the recent prices for brand new factory sealed copies, there is a very small part of me that regrets opening my copy. A brand new, factory sealed copy sold for a whopping $1,301,00 last month.

Reactions: aboleth_lich
Wow! If only one could actually hop into a time machine like the Epoch, travel back to 1995, and snag a fresh copy of Chrono Trigger to sell for a cool $1.3 million upon returning to the present! :eek:

Reactions: dillinger10
Wow! If only one could actually hop into a time machine like the Epoch, travel back to 1995, and snag a fresh copy of Chrono Trigger to sell for a cool $1.3 million upon returning to the present! :eek:
I have such a huge backlog of games that are still sealed and unopened dating back to the early nineties, though rather sadly, in my case, all the games with the high resale value were games that I foolishly decided to open and play, though I do still have a sealed copy of Duck Tales 2.

Looking through the current price valuations across the various consoles is a great way to spend an evening and wondering about what might have been...

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/super-nintendo?sort-by=new-highest-price