Favorite game music

Cmok

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
What game music do you find yourself come back to and listening and enjoying even when your not playing the game? I've never completed but I absolutely loved Shadowman for the PS1, such a dark, evil game:

Any fans of p'n'c games will surely remember this one. Let's hope it gets an HD remake, because the original version is just unplayable today.

Thus far, I enjoy the lively music from Okage: Shadow King (Boku to Mao) for the Playstation 2 as well as the haunting music from Majora's Mask for the Nintendo 64. Of course, both have unusual scores that I find to be interesting, so I'm certain that has much to do with my interest in them.

Reactions: Cmok
1001 Spikes has some good music.

World 7 is probably my favorite track, but the whole thing is good.

Any game that Jeremy Soule has worked on has an absolutely amazing soundtrack. Some of my favorites are from the Guild Wars and Elder Scrolls franchises. Guild Wars 2 is probably my favorite of the bunch though despite my not actually liking the game.

Fear Not this Night - Jeremy Soule

Bastion's music and announcer were amazing, it really helped to add to the ambience.

However when it comes to epic OSTs in my opinion Japanese games are far superior. Just see how popular the Final Fantasy soundtrack is, and little wonder since it is performed by a full ensemble.

The Last of Us had some really good, low key music. The main theme is my favorite, and it's the melody that gets played a lot at important cut scenes.

Assassin's Creed also has a lot of good music! I really liked the music from AC II, AC:B and AC 3. :D

E1M1 from Doom takes the crown for me. I just love it, and it embodies so well the high energy gameplay from the game I just... It just takes the crown :)

Followed by Battlefield 1942 theme,

Along with Mirror's Edge Still Alive...

and as a runner up, Ezio's Family.

Diablo 2's First and Second Act music is pretty cool too. They have a special place in my memories. It's just that they are more... hmm... too well fitted to the game to be listenable outside of it.

I never really paid too much attention to music in gaming other than a few that really resonated with me. I remember playing the first Tomb Raider game and being very impressed with the use of music and the moments of silence which just made the suspense even more potent.

I like a lot of Nintendo's music. From Fire Emblem to Pokemon to Xenoblade Chronicles, from Metroid to The Legend of Zelda; Nintendo has GREAT music. The Legend of Zelda especially has so many good ones, and some are very nostalgic.

I can't say that I have listened to any outside of playing. Like others with most games I don't pay much attention but I think I really like the music in Donkey Kong. My favorite level was probably the underwater because the music was so calming. It really fit the level. Considering this, I suppose I would agree that Nintendo makes good music.

I really like the soundtracks from the TES series, the first Deus Ex game and the current one Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Also there are some games with different songs playing in the background, like the GTA or Fifa, NBA, NFS series. A lot of times I search songs from this games to listen to them in real life.

One of the best video game soundtrack came from this game, Metal Gear: Solid...

... and I second this from Chrono Trigger:

Last edited:
There are a lot of classics out there and I could be here all day giving you lists and lists of retro games with great music and sounds. But I would rather focus on a few newer titles that people may underrated or don't know about.

Bastion as mentioned above is one of my all time favorite games. And a big reason for that is the music and narration. The music blends and ties in with the game and atmosphere so well. It moves you, makes you feel something. It's a soundtrack I have specifically on my Spotify playlist and I listen to it religiously. If you haven't yet -- go play Bastion. And if you aren't interested in playing it, go find the soundtrack online, you won't regret it.

The other is a newer rogue-light title and that is Overture. It's a fun and light hearted game that you shouldn't take too seriously. What I love about it so much is that it's a real throwback to the old 16 bit titles, and the music is the same way. It's upbeat, it's catchy, and it's 16-bit! Are your serious? The game is only $4 on steam and I would say the soundtrack alone is worth it, even if you don't care for the game.

Here's a couple more:

Aww Yeah, Castlevania.

The Entire Baten Kaitos OST. The game was a masterpiece aside from the horrid voice acting. Motoi Sakuraba is a genius composer, same with Nobuo Uematsu and Koji Kondo, and Yoko Kanno. There are plenty of others but they come to mind first.

And I have to concur, Jeremy Soule is just too hard to beat. His Guild Wars 1 and 2 soundtracks; his elder scrolls contributions. Dude is a legend.

One of my favorite video game soundtracks is the one from Assassin's Creed 2. The composer captured elements of Italy perfectly in his compositions. I also enjoy the theme song from Assassin's Creed 3 and the ending song in Black Flag. This franchise in general has just had great success with its soundtracks.

Here's some more of my Acapella Guy videos, you rock Smooth. Doing all my old childhood memories! And well, to boot.

I still hum this theme in high-tense situations.

And...Dire Dire Docks, Mario 64!

And this.

Aww yeah, Balamb Garden.

The Legend of Zelda soundtracks are always pretty amazing. Nintendo put a lot of work into their music it seems; they even released an album for the 25th anniversary of LoZ. Feels nerdy but I occasionally listen to it on the bus. 8)

I love all the Mario games and their soundtracks. The Legend of Zelda games always had awesome soundtracks as well. Kingdom of Hearts had a wonderful soundtrack, too.