Fantasy Life

Vook

Registered
Dec 25, 2014
Fantasy Life is an RPG recently released for the 3DS. I've currently got about 35 hours under my belt and I am loving it. You can choose from 12 different "Life," which are basically classes and professions. There is a ton to do and you don't have to confine yourself to one Life. As much as I have been enjoying it, there are some weakness and things I wish had been done better.

Let's start with the good. There is a lot of good. There is tons of content and at all levels of difficulty. If you are someone that strives to be the best and goes out seeking challenges, there is plenty for you to do. Difficult monsters in the later areas are extremely hard. Reaching the top level of any Life is time consuming and often involves fighting said monsters. If you are more of a crafter, then striving to produce only Top Grade gear will sate your thirst. For those that prefer an easier road, the main story does not require any real commitment to a certain Life and can be done very casually (at least where I am.) There are also tons and tons of side quests, which adds to Fantasy Life's replay value.

While we are on the topic of the main story, this is what I feel is lacking. While it is well written and humorous, it provides no real challenge and kills the immersion of the "Life" system. You end up doing a bunch of menial tasks to progress and eventually make your way around in a big circle. Now, I am not saying not to play it. The writing makes the story worth it on its own, I just feel it could have been done better.

Anyway, I am really enjoying the game thus far. Have any of you played it and if so, how do you like it?

I haven't played this game, but it seems really fun. I like how the art looks and both gameplay and art resemble Rune Factory. It's nice how there's so many options to choose from when picking a class. The pet system seems cool too. I'll be sure to get this game when I look for new 3DS games.

It is a ton like Rune Factory. I like it oddly more.

For me there are also a bunch of short falls in the way that the job system is set up. You can't switch on the fly between jobs, you have to go to a specific person in any town and tell him which job you want to be. For the bonuses and such I completely understand the need to be a certain job at certain times, but I think that a press of a button-- at least in town-- to switch from your fighting class to your crafting or back would make things much better. Also to level up you have to achieve so many stated goals, which is kind of fun. The problem is that you have to report to your "master" of that craft as that job to level it up. This leads to weird moments such as how I am most of the way to master miner and lumberjack, but have never reported back to either of those people because they are both about a two minute walk from the guild master.

I really am enjoying the game a ton and like what it is doing, but I also get the impression that Fantasy Life 2 is going to be so much better than this just from lessons learned on feedback alone. All of the issues themselves are such minor things that would be stupid easy to fix, like letting you pull up a crafting list to see what you need for an item instead of being at the bench to do that. It really does sound like I am complaining but I have sunk about 40 hours into it since the 25th so that really should mean something.

This is one of those games that I've heard so much good stuff about, but know I'll never have time for..

Someone described Fantasy Life as a sort of Skyrim-lite, where you can craft, hunt monsters do quests and more.

Based on your experiences it seems an apt description. I will definitely pick this game up, being a huge fan of RPGs.

I've never heard of this game before but it sounds very interesting. Almost like rune factory, and I loved rune factory. The style reminds me of the earlier Harvest Moons though. Time to break out my 3DS and try it out!

I just downloaded the DLC and it adds quite a bit to the game. I was pleasantly surprised a $9 DLC added roughly 10-15 hours to my gameplay. I would recommend it to anyone. If you wish to learn a bit more about it, here is a sightly longer review I had written about it. http://hubpages.com/hub/Fantasy-Life-An-In-Depth-Look

I'm really curious - does Fantasy Life play a bit like an MMO? I love MMOs, but I don't have the means to play one, so I've been wondering if there are any alternatives - online or not - for the 3DS. It seems like a really interesting game, though, especially for RPG fans. The class system is one that's drawn me in a lot in past games, so that's primarily the reason why I am wondering about Fantasy Life.

I guess it might be time to check my local video game store and see if they have it in stock, haha.

The comparisons to Rune Factory and a kind of Skyrim Jr. are spot on. I would say there are MMO moments to it in that there are bosses that walk around every zone of the game that will MESS YOU UP if you go alone. You can take AI partners but they kind of just end up being meat shields that draw the attention away from you. While I do want to play the game with friends I see 0% chance that I could make even one of them hang out for more than 2 of those fights before either of us got bored or annoyed due to distance between zones or just general trolling of each other.

That said there are a handful of crafting items I have yet to find, which is slightly annoying.

I love this game!

I'd describe it as a cross between Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Animal Crossing. In some ways it's a bit repetitive, but I think the variety of careers and the reward/levelling system keeps it compulsive without getting boring. Plus there's a certain LOTR joke hidden in the dialogue... :D

The only negative I can see (and I haven't finished it yet) is the suspicion that I probably won't return to it once I've completed it. I don't think it's going to have any replay value for me.

I love this game!

I'd describe it as a cross between Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Animal Crossing. In some ways it's a bit repetitive, but I think the variety of careers and the reward/levelling system keeps it compulsive without getting boring. Plus there's a certain LOTR joke hidden in the dialogue... :D

The only negative I can see (and I haven't finished it yet) is the suspicion that I probably won't return to it once I've completed it. I don't think it's going to have any replay value for me.

A cross between Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Animal Crossing? That sounds like my kind of game. I never heard of this game, but I always look for games similar to the three games you mentioned.

Thanks for the recommendation!