Early Access on Steam

Setari

Registered
Jan 18, 2015
So we all know Early Access has come to Steam and has been there for some time now.

What games is everyone keeping an eye on? What games should we avoid? Are there any lesser-known Early Access games out there that we should be keeping an eye on/purchasing?

I've purchased 7 Days to Die in the way of Early Access. This is a great game even though I don't agree with the mechanics right now, and is even better if you find a cool server of people to play with. I primarily play PvE. Definitely worth full price, whatever the price is.

I also bought Beasts of Prey. Not good, and development is slowing down in my opinion and they're definitely making it a PvP-centric game... even though you're trying to survive dinosaurs. I guess the same argument could be made for zombies. :| Not worth full price (over maybe 15 bucks).

Prison Architect is presumably early access but is definitely polished besides a few still-outstanding bugs. Worth full price, whatever the price is again.

Life is Feudal: Your Own: Not good at all. Definitely something the dev team scraped together for MMO funding. Not worth over 30 bucks much less 40. Worth maybe 10 in gameplay value. Also from my experience the community seems to be toxic to newcomers too throughout the servers I've played on, especially if you don't use voice chat.

Anyone else have any recommendations or things or games to look out for? I was thinking about picking up H1Z1 for the PvE element [not looking for arguments for or against]. That I'm already decided on though.

Let people know what to pick up and what to avoid!

I haven't really bought any Early Access game except Contraption Maker when it was in Early Access which came out of Early Access recently (that too because it was really cheap; $1.49 and I got an extra copy for free). I haven't even got the time to try it out. I'm keeping an eye on Next Car Game and Road Redemption. I haven't bought them as I think my money would be wasted if the developers decide to never complete the game. I am not a fan of Early Access because the developers can easily misuse it and leave their games incomplete. My suggestion: Try to avoid Early Access games unless you want them badly and/or they're on a good sale.

There are a few games, Prison Architect is very much early access because they are still adding game content on a monthly basis. Starbound which I still feel was worth the purchase considering the amount of time I have played it. Godus, again worth the price I paid for the amount that I played it. I recently purchased 7 Days to Die but haven't got around to playing it. Same with Folk Tale...

I've purchased quite a few early access games and haven't felt burned by any of them.

I don't have any particular recommendations, although I do think Steam Early Access is mostly a positive thing. Of course, the actual price of a given title makes the difference here. Some Early Access titles are barely updated, and it's like the developers give up on their project. Those are the games you should avoid, but I picked up 7 Days to Die also, and I loved that game.

The Forest is probably the only game I am really looking forward to at this point. I am not a huge fan of early access or paying to play an alpha of a game, so I am avoiding buying it now and will wait until it goes live and is finished.