Dreaming of a new Marvel vs.

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
Let's say that Marvel were to get another fighting game made. What characters and simple background story would you want?

Personally, I would have it stick to some of the particular Houses within Marvel. For instance, have the vast number of Xmen characters still alive today battling it out with Apocalypse but with the twist of having some wicked Horsemen.

Obviously the Xmen have the greatest number of heroes so I'll try to be a bit more creative. Let's go with the Marvel Knights House. Take Ghost Rider and team him up with some of the darker elements of the Marvel Universe. Bring in guys like Dr. Strange, Blade, Cloak and Dagger. You don't have to use Punisher and Daredevil, but both would add an interesting aspect to the game (of course the Punisher would use lots of guns). Put them up against other baddies like Vengeance, Blackheart, and the like. In fact, introduce new characters that may be waiting in the wings over at Marvel. A game like this would be a good way of getting some reactions about a character without having to work them into an existing book or put out a mini-series.

It can be a simple fighting game or it can just focus on one or more characters. I would like to have the single player format play like Soul Calibur where you follow each character's personal story.

See if this fits the bill, Jonas....i'm like you about wanting a new Marvel game....and judging from the news i've seen about this one, it looks like the Marvel fix i need!

marked_g1147663946.jpg

http://www.mygamer.com/index.php?id=552261&page=gameportal&mode=screens

Nice, real nice. But I was leaning more towards the darker, more Halloween side of Marvel. It might be interesting to do an Age of Apocalypse game (for those of you who don't know, you need to find out).

Actually, Ghost Rider, Blaze (the original Ghost Rider), Blade, Strange, and a couple other guys made up the Night Riders, with the main badguys being Mephisto, the occasional crossover with Spiderman, Punisher and Daredevil and the constant bombardments of Vampires, demons and all sorts of other witch/demon type characters.

Something I'd love to see is Activision putting out games based upon individual story arcs. I mean, an Age of Apocalypse game. A Fatal Attractions game. A GOOD Maximum Carnage game. Or how bout a straight-up full-scale crazy game guised as a Secret Wars? Or the Phalanx Covenant? But it would seriously rock out...

That would be a great idea. Some games have done decently with it in the past, but others.... What would be some good storylines to use? (meaning ones that have been done in the comix)

I'd like to see a 70's or 80's era title like this, with the heroes in their retro costumes, fighting villains appropriate to the era. if I see one more piss-poor leather X-jump suit with tacky "tactical" harness straps in a gaudy, contrasting color I think I'll puke.

Alternately, I'd really give marvel props if they ever get their heads out of their marketing department's cave-like asses and make an Ultimates game that's true to the comic artwork, with script by Millar or Bendis. The problem with all of these games is that they are either mindles beat-em-ups or have storylines so weak a freaking 7-year old would toss it across the room if it were to appear in a printed comic.

Ehh...I'm not much of a fan of the ol' blue with yellow Xmen costumes from way back when, like so...

silverage-cyclops-statue.jpg

But I think we'd all be better off if they made it off the GOOD comics...not that Ultimate crap...

The Ultimate comics are just heresy!

As for what would make the ideal stories...the BEST ones would be Phalanx Covenant something with the Xforce (they're always up to something. And mutant powers + gunslinging is simply awesome). Maybe the Siege of the Avenger Mansion. Spiderman's Clone Saga where you could play as both Spider Man and Scarlet Spider. And really...a bunch of others.

LOL... anyone that actually ADVOCATES making anything out of the Clone Saga (except for a diaper maybe) blows any and all credibility they might have. Talk about Marvel's darkest, most bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping moment... :cookiemon

Hey, the Clone Saga wasn't bad. Scarlet Spider was immensely more badass. Granted, the ending was kinda lame, and it really did get glossed over since they never really addressed how PETER'S KID GOT KIDNAPPED but if you read the Scarlet Spider miniseries along with it...it was interesting.

Just think about it as a game. Fighting with the Jackal in Shea and actually having in-air fighting against the Goblin? Those would be awesome boss fights.

Meh... it wasn't all a total pile of suck, but it did have that whiff of desperation about it... Honestly, I think they're doing much more exciting things in the Ultimate universe, but that might be because I'm an adult and want more out of my comics than bad-ass-ness. Nothing wrong with that, but after watching Batman beat the snot out of Superman in the original Dark Knight Returns, the Ultimate Bad Ass title still has to reside there... :cookiemon

Cmon. Batman giving the beatdown to Superman is great, but Cable losing control of his arm is more kickass. But I've been reading comics since...before I could read...(I'd have my mommy read them to me...but I only had like...Quasar and those other Avenger reject losers...but I do have the series where Spider Man is trying to get in). I've gone through lots of the series and payed close attention to everything in the Marvel Universe up to Heroes Reborn. I know what I'm talking about >.>

ImagoX said:
LOL... anyone that actually ADVOCATES making anything out of the Clone Saga (except for a diaper maybe) blows any and all credibility they might have. Talk about Marvel's darkest, most bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping moment... :cookiemon

Agreed! That was one of the most confusing "oops, let's try to fix our mistakes" storyline ever. Total poo. It had interesting things in it, but booo.

Ok 3 things:

1) Bishop should be in every Marvel game.

2) Great site updates guys.

3) Today's the 360 day right:question: Right, right, right, right????:bigmouth:

spudlyff8fan said:
Cmon. Batman giving the beatdown to Superman is great, but Cable losing control of his arm is more kickass.

Um... a second-rate, alternate reality goon losing control of his artificial limb is more kick ass than a mortal man stomping all over the Man of Steel?

Whatever it is you're smoking is rotting out your brain, bro.:hellokitt

I'm a Cable fan for sure, but I'm going with Imago on this one, the fact that Batman can kick even Superman's butt is just awesome. And he's done it TWICE.

Well, the kryptonite and Green Arrow's assistance DID help, but, yeah... Bats is just a GUY, andthat line about...

"I want you to remember what it feels like to be a MAN!"

...easily grants Batman the Ultimate Bad Ass award for, like, ever. :cookiemon

Speaking of kick-ass Superman stories- did you read Red Son? It's like a "What If...?" with Superman landing in Russia instead of in Kansas. What's cool is that Lex Luther must still fulfil the role of nemesis, but in that timeline he becomes the USA's, and eventually the world's, savior, despite being the same Lex we know and loathe. Pretty interesting stuff. Stories like that, IMHO, show the strength of the miniseries or closed arc story as opposed to ones that happen inside of main-title continuity- they can toss out the rulebook and not have to worry about dove-tailing into the existing plotlines (which, by and large, are fleshed out by marketing people).

I also like the series of "Elseworlds" (DC's version of "What if") where Superman landed in Gotham on the Wayne estate. The Wayne's had been unable to have a child, so Superman grew up with Batman's past. Batman having Superman's powers was awesome.

What about a Marvel vs. DC crossover fighting game where you can have individual one on one fights or teams vs teams (JLA vs The Avengers, Green Lantern Corps vs Thor Corps, Sinister Six vs Legion of Doom, and so on), and make custom teams for online battle, and include alternate or future characters like Kingdom Come Batman vs Iron Man would be kinda cool. Just a thought.

Solitudinarian said:
What about a Marvel vs. DC crossover fighting game where you can have individual one on one fights or teams vs teams (JLA vs The Avengers, Green Lantern Corps vs Thor Corps, Sinister Six vs Legion of Doom, and so on), and make custom teams for online battle, and include alternate or future characters like Kingdom Come Batman vs Iron Man would be kinda cool. Just a thought.

That would be kind of AWESOME...unfortunately, I can't imagine a scenario where Marvel Entertainment and DC would be able to work out a deal with each other.

Still, to think we might be able to answer the age old question, who would win in a fight? Gorilla Grod or the Beetle???