Dreamcast is back BABY YEA

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
I have not seen a dreamcast thread on here. And if there is I must have missed it or did not lok to hard.

So lets speak on maybe the greatest system ever. Yes I said it. better than the PS2 more fun the Cube, did everything the Xbox did before Halo was thought of. This was the system that made what we have now posible. So why did it fail? I blame myself and the consumer on that reason. But even after death this was one of the best things i ever bought. If ther was to be a system Hall of Fame I would put in the Dreamcast, NES, Gameboy, PS2. Thats just me.

But i'm geeting off topic here. the Cast was great great games nice graphics. Rmember the first time you played Panzarr Dragoon. Or how about Skies of Arcaida, Phantasy Star. Dreamcast was my system I'm bout to get another one mine has finally died ( RIP). So share your memories on the Cast. Or tell me why you think it failed or did not live on.

Indeed, the DC, in retrospect, was truly an excellent console. Capcom vs SNK, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, Guilty Gear X2, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, 2k Sports games...good stuff.

I loved my DC... But when the other consoles started coming out.. And I started playing Crazy Taxi and other games on the new platforms, I realized the graphics just werent there:( Was the best while it lasted though..

Soul Calibur baby.. But just sya no to Ecco...

It also had the bizarre stuff like a game where you raise a bizarre part man, part fish that you spoke to through a microphone attachment (Seaman) and a game where you spend a good deal of time looking for sailors and driving a forklift in between short bouts of kung-fu (Shenmue).

My favorite games on the Dreamcast were Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Phantasy Star Online. The 56K modem network was actually pretty well done...people will probably forget that true online console play really started with Sega *sigh*.

Y'know, I almost forgot that I was actually at the New York launch party for Dreamcast's SegaNet network. We played NFL 2K and Tony Hawk against our editor counterparts in San Francisco, and there's a great polaroid of the Happypuppy.com guys and me with Ulala of Space Channel 5. Those were the days.

My fault sorry about that. I was thinking of the failed Saturn. But still the cast awwwwwwwww man. I remember them days. I skiped school one day just to play Code Veronica the opening part was like nothing I ever saw before. I also had Blue Stinger. Ready to Rumble boking saved half of my school year while everyone was gung-ho over the PS2 the cast saved my ass. It was really ashame it did not last long SEGA could've went far.

WHY WHY DID WE SUPPORT THE PS2 WHY? looking back the PS2 was not better then the Cast at all. Sure we can sit and talk graphics for days but lets get real. We are all gamers and from other threads graphics really are not what makes the game. Sure we like better looking games but it's not what makes a game. Look at it like this the last generation had Great looking gmaes but not many great games.

These are some that just jump out to me.
PS2
FFX
DMC
Onimusha 1-3
PoP 2
GoW
MGS2
Kingdom Hearts
NFS Underground
GTA III & Vice City

Xbox
Halo
Ninja Gaiden
Fable
KOTOR
Jade Emprie
Splinter Cell
Kung Fu Chaos
X-Men Legends

Cube
SSBM
RE4
Zelda Windwaker
Super Monkey Ball
SSX3
Spiderman 2
Metriod Prime

Now thats just some games not all but what I liked. Not everygame had stunning grahpics but solid games. I just miss the DC and wonder why it failed or why we failed it?

Well, seeing as I actually covered the demise of the DreamCast once before for a website, there were a number of reasons:

a) Sony had incredible name recognition after dominating with the PlayStation 1...the first system to really jump fully into 3D-gaming. They had a head start into the liviing room.

b) Sony had more money. The DreamCast cost too much to make for Sega to keep up. Each unit sold lost $200 (U.S.). Sony could absorb the cost of the PS2 more easily.

c) Marketing: Sony's marketing muscles really flexed before, during and after Sega's launch on 9/9/1999. They released FFVIII on the same day. The buzz factor about the sleek black system with DVD functionality grew enormously as Sony's marketing dollars spent increased exponentially before their expected release date. Sega only had so much money to combat it (and their commercials weren't all that special at the time).

d) Third party support. Sega had a decent amount of third-party support. Sony had that much more. While Sega had unique and innovative games, Sony had what was tried and true. Sure, their launch lineup sucked with the exception of maybe SSX, but the exclusive titles that they secured for the future: Madden, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc. really gave them the upper hand.

Sega could not compete with Sony in a head-to-head matchup. They went after the same market with the same business strategies that nearly killed them with the Saturn/Sega CD/Game Gear days. Nintendo avoided that with the help of first-party exclusives that remain beloved by gamers to this day, but Sega grabbed the bull by the horns and got gored.

Awwww thats what happened. It really only sucks for gamers. I fear that kids today will never know of what a great system it truly was.

But my thought an I still think this. Microsoft bought out SEGA in away. A lot of things that SEGA did with the DC apperars on the Xbox. Maybe it's becasue Peter Morre was also VP over at Sega, or Maybe Bill bought some tech stuff from SEGA and BAM we have a Xbox ( DC:Duce is what i like to call it). And yea I know it's not true but it's a cool idea.

Now on a side note Scribe how do you think Marketing is going now for the 360? Is it working for them? How do you think Sony should market the PS3.

Why is it that I fail Spud huh? Is my likf that dull that I fail. :(

O well i'll go jump off a cliff and land on a bed of broken Dreamcast systems.

I recommend use SplitCamera.com for multiply video chats

SplitCam - http://www.splitcamera.com
Split Camera is a freeware virtual video clone and split video capture driver for connecting several applications to a single video capture source. Usually, if you have a web camera or video camera connected to your computer, you cannot use it in more than one application at the same time, and there is no standard Windows options that makes it possible. Split Camera driver allows you to easily multiply your web-camera (any models), video cameras ( any model: analog or ditial : VHS, DV, TV-IN or TV-tunner ) in video chat or video conference software like ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, Skype Video, Camfrog, AOL AIM, Pal Talk, or whatever... and to broadcast it to many users at a time. With SplitCam you can connect up to 64 clients to a single video source. In a few words: Split Cam does just what its name says: it splits the video stream coming from the video source and tunnels it to numerous other client applications.
You can as well use splitcam to send your home videos at the same time to many video conference programs, for example your friend using MSN messenger can see your home video or your favorite DVD disk live and other friend uses Yahoo messenger want to see it too so how can you at the same time to send it to both of them and to see it on your computer as well? splitcam allow this operation to happen, you can watch the video file and at the same time to send it over the internet to any video chat or video conferencing software, we are the only software on the net that allow it.

Usage
Usually after installing a video capture device, like USB web camera, dv camera, TV tuner, or a TV-IN video card, you can only connect to it from one Windows application. If you start another application and try to use the same video source you’ll get an error message complaining about the device being already in use. In this case you have no choice but to wait for the first application to finish its work, or quit the thought of using the second application at all. Sometimes it may be absolutely necessary or most advisable to use, say, your web-camera in more than one client application at the same time. What if you want to conduct a video conference with several people independently? Or you want to record your video-chat or video conference using your favorite video capture software?
That’s where SplitCam can become of great help! All you have to do is just install the Split Camera software on your computer, connect it to a video source like: ( video camera, USB web camera, video file or image file ), and connect other applications like: ( video chat , video conference any messenger or video applications ) to the Split Cam virtual capture device. It will look exactly like you have 64 independent video source plugged in to your computer!

Split Camera Download LINK - http://www.splitcamera.com/download.html

I remember the Dreamcast...I had like 80 burned cd's. After I found my system can play 'em with a modchip. One of my favorites was Soul Caliber.