Do you use walkthroughs?

mtayp01

Registered
Sep 20, 2015
Philippines
Do you use walkthroughs whenever you get into sticky situations while playing? What games made you consult the internet for tips and guides?

I normally try to stay away from walkthroughs, but I did go online for help playing Romancing Saga 2 on my emulator since it basically throws your character out into the world with less of a clue on what to do.

I mostly consult strategy guides. I don't like feeling that I'm doing things wrong, or am just missing certain mechanics that would be helping. Like now, I'm going to look up how to maximise money earning for Metal Gear 5.

I actually wrote a weapon guide for Far Cry 2 and Red Dead Redemption. Was interesting reseach, and I learnt a little about the game design.

I may be depriving myself of the surprises, the mystique, and even some of the challenge that come from blind play-thoughs, but I absolutely check with walk-throughs online as I play a game. I do so mainly to make sure that I play the game to the fullest: completing all of the side-quests, finding all of the special items and secret characters, getting the best ending, etc.

I'm guilty of using walkthroughs and YouTube to help me with gaming, but it's purely a time issue. It feels like there are so many games that are constantly coming out, and I feel like I have a lot less time that I can allocate to my gaming. I'll still have gaming marathons once in a while, but they are not as often as they were when I was younger, so I need to get through these games at a somewhat steady pace. In fact, I still haven't finished Watch_Dogs or Assassin's Creed: Rogue. I'm slacking!

I use walkthrough's sparingly. Typically only when I just can't get past a certain level or boss after investing way too much time, energy and frustrations. I think the last two times I used walkthrough's were for FEAR 2 and Far Cry 3. I try to avoid using walkthrough's whenever possible as it feels dirty and akin to cheating but there are times when no matter how much you try, you just can't advance and rather then stop playing the game, it allows you to extend the life and enjoyment.

For some things. If I just can't get past something, then I'll take a look. And if I'm trying to do 100% and can't find/figure certain things out, I'll look them up. Basically, if I can't figure it out on my own after quite a bit of time? I find a walkthrough. :p But I don't do step-by-step plays with a walkthrough.

Reactions: Stay Puft
For some things. If I just can't get past something, then I'll take a look. And if I'm trying to do 100% and can't find/figure certain things out, I'll look them up. Basically, if I can't figure it out on my own after quite a bit of time? I find a walkthrough. :p But I don't do step-by-step plays with a walkthrough.

You totally just reminded me of the times as a kid where I'd print out step-by-step walkthroughs, and you'd always get to a point where the walk-through was so vague or not clear enough and I'd get so mad.

I did recently print out giant maps for DC Universe Online; there's Gotham and Metropolis and each one has a whole bunch of collectibles, so I printed out maps and cross them off as I collect them. I kind of over did the map thing though as they are 8 x 4 sheets big and all taped up, lol.

Generally, I try to play without a walk through if I can. There are a few games, however, that simply require a walk through to beat without weeks of trial and error though. When I encounter one of those I will look up a walk through for the specific part that I am stuck on, then attempt to continue without it again.

Absolutely. This has been a habit of mine since Spyro! Collecting all of those eggs was tricky! I needed to utilize the online resources to find them!

I have even purchased large walk through books for games like Kingdom Hearts II.

I love the challenge of playing the games without them, don't get me wrong, but when I want to complete the game FULLY I like to use all the resources available to me.

I do my best to stay away from walkthroughs as best I can and try to solve what I need to do on my own most of the time unless I really can not work out what I need to do. The first time I needed to use a walkthrough was on Destiny 2 with some of the quests you have to do there. Some are so difficult to work out; sometimes a YouTube tutorial helps me a lot and I have learned a lot I didn't know as well through watching these tutorials.

I'm usually 50/50 with walkthroughs. It's not in all games which I have played that I make use of the game's walkthroughs.

Some of it can be too long and boring to the skull. It's why I don't make use of it all the time.

Do you use walkthroughs whenever you get into sticky situations while playing? What games made you consult the internet for tips and guides?
Yes, I make use of walkthroughs whenever it's necessary. Also, it depends on how straightforward the walkthrough is. I can't use a walkthrough that will make everything confusing for me.