Do you think media causes violence?

techbeast34

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
People always blame whatever is new for a problem in the world. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong. But right now, people are jumping on the band wagon of "Video games cause violence," when it's not true. I honestly find it repulsive when people make assumptions like that, just because of a couple of special needs kids who happened to play video games shot up a school. It isn't that. I don't see why people don't get that people who are considered outcasts happen to play video games a lot, and also being an outcast happens to get you a lot of hate and bullying within schools. It's complete stupidity that anybody wouldn't consider the fact that these kids were bullied and harassed for what they were, and that drove them to violence when their screwed up school administration wouldn't take care of the problem. Why is it that anything new and trending is to blame for problems that it doesn't cause?

Reactions: henry55
No, I'm sure everyone here will agree that videogames, movies, etc don't cause violence. First off, there has always been violence, there have always been evil people, and I don't think it will ever change. That said, I think media can give people ideas, but it's not the media's fault. It's the fault of people who didn't educate that individual well enough to understand the difference between right and wrong, and real and fake.

The media simply evokes or influences people's perspectives and perceptions, otherwise, every choice one makes is all onto you.

Also, stop using the word "violence" in the wrong context, because it literally means "to fuck" a human, person, or thing - I am not joking.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a population that plays a lot of violent video games has a higher violence rate than a population that doesn't. The scientific debate over this is far from conclusive of course, but it might very well be the case, so we shouldn't dismiss it just because we aren't particularly violent and enjoy gaming.

I also don't think this is reason enough to outlaw violent games. The link between alcohol and is proven beyond all doubt and has a much larger impact in our society, for example, so we should probably start with that if we want to restrict individual freedom because of such relationships.

Also, stop using the word "violence" in the wrong context, because it literally means "to fuck" a human, person, or thing - I am not joking.
That's the opposite of true. Maybe you're thinking of "violate"?

I think that in part, yes, media might probably one of things that causes violence. It is media that sets the standards -- it dictates what should people have, what we should look like, what we should achieve, etc. And when these standards doesn't fit one person, that's when the bullying starts. We all know that bullying entails violence. I guess that's where the connection is. This is just my opinion.

Violence is not caused by any kind of media (news, tv, or video game). It is a people issue. When you have a broken society, and people are hurting mentally and emotionally, and they aren't getting the help they need, violence is often a side effect. It is a symptom of a deeper issue. Media is just a convenient scapegoat.

Nothing can cause violence besides the people themselves.There have been too many studies on this topic, but narrow-minded people don't believe in facts, so these arguments never end.

I don't see why people don't get that people who are considered outcasts happen to play video games a lot, and also being an outcast happens to get you a lot of hate and bullying within schools. It's complete stupidity that anybody wouldn't consider the fact that these kids were bullied and harassed for what they were, and that drove them to violence when their screwed up school administration wouldn't take care of the problem.

Yep, basically. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. I could go on a rant about this, because it ticks me off that the outcast is blamed for being unable to 'control' his/her mental illness, or that they should have acted 'normal' so that they wouldn't have been bullied. Because mental illness is so stigmatized in the U.S. and a lot of other countries, it's easier to put the blame on something superficial, like video games or the media, rather than help those with mental illness or create more consequences for bullies and harassers. Authentic studies have proven that video games do not cause violence. American society just likes to find a round-about way around issues rather than solving them. Fear-mongering sells, too, unfortunately.

People prefer blaming everything else but themselves. Neglectful parents usually leave their children unattended in front of TV and video games so they tend to complain when there's something they don't like that comes on, when it is their neglect that really should be questioned.

I blame parent for not taking care of their own kids and censoring what their children watch. Instead of teaching them right from wrong, they leave their kids with TV and video games to babysit them. Blame the parent for lack of parenting, not video games.

Reactions: CpXi7z1
Crime rates are almost at a 100 year low.

Murder is lower than it was in THE FUCKING 60s. Rape is down more over the last 25 years, you know, since "violent" games became a thing. Countless studies have been conducted proving that video games not only don't cause violence, they are a great outlet to prevent it. Oh, and they are a decent community building tool too.

It would be great if we could point at one thing and say that it was the cause for violence in the world, it would solve a ton of problems. The truth is that it is a layered issue, one that has been slowly decreasing as games have been making their way into common culture.

No, I do not think media is the cause of violence. I wish someone would put an end to that myth. There are more violent video games and movies than ever before yet the violent crime rate has plummeted over the past couple of decades. Violence doesn't have one singular cause. There are a variety of factors that play into why an individual may be prone to violence.

I have to say that I some what agree with this. I don't think that the media 100% causes violence but I do think that it certainly doesn't help portray violence in the best way possible either. I have seen some pretty disgusting things in commercials being shown in front of children's eyes and also hear a lot of songs that should be banned for what they say....

No, I'm sure everyone here will agree that videogames, movies, etc don't cause violence. First off, there has always been violence, there have always been evil people, and I don't think it will ever change. That said, I think media can give people ideas, but it's not the media's fault. It's the fault of people who didn't educate that individual well enough to understand the difference between right and wrong, and real and fake.
Exactly what I was going to say, media/video games just give them the idea, but oh please, you can get the idea from reading a book or your own imagination. And like you stated violence has been around since the beginning of times, it's our nature. Also, people that do these kind of things have some kind of mental disorder, a stable person won't start killing just from playing video games.

Yes the violent crime rate has been going down every year, yet the media makes it seems like any and everything is out to kill us. The chit at Ferguson got overblown. I'm not scared of ISIS and I don't give a damn about Putin and Russia. So yes I do believe that the media practices fear mongering all the time, and it's not cool at all.

Yes the violent crime rate has been going down every year, yet the media makes it seems like any and everything is out to kill us. The chit at Ferguson got overblown. I'm not scared of ISIS and I don't give a damn about Putin and Russia. So yes I do believe that the media practices fear mongering all the time, and it's not cool at all.

I would worry a little about Putin. He is basically a real world Bond villain. He has had a habit the last couple of years of doing the exact thing he said he wasn't doing/wasn't going to do. ISIS isn't cool, but it kind of seems like they are a little too extreme for their own good and will probably implode before too long. The last one I don't want to touch because I don't live in that community so I don't know how people felt before any of this happened.

But yeah, aside from Putin, you shouldn't really "worry". And Putin is only in a "big picture" kind of way.

I don't think that any kind of media causes violence in a mentally stable person. I do think that a form of media can tip off someone who is mentally deranged, but for people without mental illness I think it is just stupid to think that video games cause violence in them.

Does anyone else agree with my view?

I also don't believe that video games, or TV shows and stuff like that for that matter, cause violence in a person. I think what causes violence in a person is their own nature and what's on the inside of them already - from past experiences, from having a slight problem since they were born, anything like that. There's probably an amazing analogy for this to explain better but I cannot think of one, haha.

scotus_chart.gif

This chart is from the ESA website, and is posted on the link. The statistics come from the FBI and US software sales.

https://videogamenotes.wordpress.com/tag/extra-credits/

People always blame whatever is new for a problem in the world. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong. But right now, people are jumping on the band wagon of "Video games cause violence," when it's not true. I honestly find it repulsive when people make assumptions like that, just because of a couple of special needs kids who happened to play video games shot up a school. It isn't that. I don't see why people don't get that people who are considered outcasts happen to play video games a lot, and also being an outcast happens to get you a lot of hate and bullying within schools. It's complete stupidity that anybody wouldn't consider the fact that these kids were bullied and harassed for what they were, and that drove them to violence when their screwed up school administration wouldn't take care of the problem. Why is it that anything new and trending is to blame for problems that it doesn't cause?
The media is a powerful tool that can have immense effects especially to the youth who like to imitate what they see.I think there is a direct correlation between videos which exhibit strong violent scenes and the upsurge in cases of violence in learning institutions. Kids ape what they see and to them,it,s considered cool to play it out in front of their peers.