Do you think kids play games too much?

Zyni

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
I remember playing outside a ton when I was a kid. I just don't see it as much any more. I see so many kids playing video games. PC games, consoles, even on the phone while walking through a store. Of course, it's up to their parents to supervise it.

I know my kids could get carried away at times as well. I've had to make them do other stuff, so I'm not judging other parents. I just wonder if many kids can really unplug these days.

Meh. Do kids play games too much? definitely. Is this a new problem? no. Before handheld device, they would just sit in front of the TV all day.

There are always people who will say that ´what you are wasting your time one is a waste of time´... in fact, some people may say that about people who post on a gaming forum..

I completely agree with this. When I was a young kid, we were always outside playing baseball, or soccer with friends. Now I look around and see kids inside toying with their smartphones. I guess that is what technology does to the youth.

I think they do since it's so available, but I understand because I was also once that obsessive and hyperactive, even if I channeled it somewhere other than video games. If the parents are doing their job then I don't see it as worrying since I trust most of them will evolve their taste into something else.

If the parents are supervising them, and the games are not ruining their health or life...then I say let them play. One's definition of too much varies from one person to another. When the game becomes an addiction, then it is too much. Let the kids have fun with their games.

Absolutely. Nowadays, kids prefer playing video games rather than playing real games/fun activities outside. There are certainly disadvantages of video games to children. They don't have any social interaction with other people, there is also a possibility they will get more violent due to the battles and wars depicted into video games. It can also cause health problems when played in excess, like being obese, because kids just sit all afternoon in front of their computers/tablets/mobile phones.

I agree that it may be unhealthy if the kids do nothing else but play games, but otherwise I say give them a break. Spending some time on video games is no different from how we used to play with action figures/dolls as kids in the 90s, it's just a different medium.

I remember playing outside a ton when I was a kid. I just don't see it as much any more. I see so many kids playing video games. PC games, consoles, even on the phone while walking through a store. Of course, it's up to their parents to supervise it.

I know my kids could get carried away at times as well. I've had to make them do other stuff, so I'm not judging other parents. I just wonder if many kids can really unplug these days.
I don't think that my own kids play games anywhere near as much games as I did when I was a kid. Of course, I was really into it and wasn't just fascinated by the games themselves but also the graphics, sound effects, music and the whole creation process in general which is why I wanted to be a computer programmer. Kids these days don't seem to be interested in that side of things and that makes me wonder, who will be the people actually making the games when those kids are adults?

Reactions: Zyni

When I was a kid I was always limited to how long I could play games. I had to go to bed and go to school the next day. It was back when Sega Genesis and Nintendo were around and Dos games were still popular.

Reactions: Zyni
I would say so, kids should imo spend more time outdoors playing games. Playing some sort of sports or just running around outside. Especially in the winter time, when sunlight availability is decreased in the northern latitudes, kids need to get their Vitamin D. Though that applies to adults too...

The generation of kids today has really been exposed to a lot of gadgets and video games and they have not really appreciated life outside like playing in the grass or the playground. It is difficult to forbid them from playing computer because technology is popular nowadays. So I suggest parents should limit their game time on the computer and have a schedule also for sports and other outdoor activities to encourage them that there is more to life outside the computer screen and this life is more beneficial to them.

Yes, way too much.
Sometimes they live in the virtual world of games, they get addicted and they don't know what's really going on in the real world, they are like isolated of the real world, and the addiction makes them think only about what's going on in the game and what level their stuck upon on. It's crazy and so sad.

Yep, I think this is not even debatable, kids play too much and parent's should control that or else their head will melt. :)

I think there is a bit too much gaming among children, especially younger ones. More than a few of my students have been game obsessed and sometimes it becomes an issue. Parents really need to be accountable for their children's media use. I don't think gaming in general is bad, but there definitely needs to be a balance.

Just a couple of hours ago I allowed mine to play tablet for one hour and that's it, I don't want their heads melted.

It's much harder to go out and play now, when I was young I could walk to my friend's house a block away and we would play outside, but now the community rules are stricter and if my daughter walked across the street we would be in pretty big trouble.

That's why it's easier to just play video games.

I agree that it's becoming a problem but only really because parents these days are allowing it to become a problem. Many parents these days grew up with the technology but it wasn't so widespread back then. I don't think they realize the dangers and may believe their own misconceptions about technology based on their own experience of it when they were younger. Just look at the increase in mental illnesses like ADHD, Aspergers, etc these days.

Last edited:
I reckon, as games come out and look more appealing, children would rather play video games and try and do it even more and need to be watched and try and get them to do other things. I think, getting them to see that play a little and do other things so your mind is not focused on playing video games. I, have seen many parents who do set time so the child can play games and spend time with others so they don't view the game as their only friend.

That's what needs to happen vegito, kids can play sure, but life isn't just about playing, they need to live the life as well.

I don't think kids playing games these days is a bad thing necessarily. There's been proven research that surgeons do better in surgery if they play video games for 15 minutes before going into the operating room. Games can help kids develop certain skill sets and even learn new languages. I actually know a couple of guys who managed to learn English purely through playing various online games