Do you think companies should do away with consoles and just make games for PC

Do you think al games should be made for PC?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

ChrisHendrick

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
This is something I've been thinking about for a long time in the gaming industry. Do you think eliminating consoles and solely making games for PC's would be a good move? I personally think that it might help improve the quality of games instead of every producer harping on about graphics, and one or two new features. I also think it would eliminate the struggle of deciding on which console and exclusive you want.

What do you think?

I find consoles tedious and useless compared to a PC. Although, they appeal mostly to the casual people that spend less time playing video games than someone who thoroughly enjoys wasting hours just to beat that boss in a certain hard way. They make up the majority of the buyers in console and console games sales, something companies will never give up. So we're kinda stuck with them.

That's the same as asking "do you think companies should not make money"?

No.

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time in the gaming industry. Do you think eliminating consoles and solely making games for PC's would be a good move? I personally think that it might help improve the quality of games instead of every producer harping on about graphics, and one or two new features. I also think it would eliminate the struggle of deciding on which console and exclusive you want.

What do you think?

No. Both offer advantages that the other doesn't have.

For example console games offer intimacy in social situations that you can't get with PC gaming because it's easier to sit on a couch with a controller than it is to set up multiple PCs together. The consoles really excel in reaching to the mainstream/very casual and party gamer because it's so easy to just set up a console, plug in the add ons and just play on the couch. With a LAN party you have a lot more to put up and you don't have the shared intimate space that consoles offer. Not only that but consoles also play movies which makes it a great family entertainment system. Sure you can do the same with PC, but once again a console is stupid friendly plug and play versus PC where you have to set up programs and whatnot.

PCs excel with variety, graphics and ease of production for games. Because of its versatility on that front we have a lot of indie games and a lot of big name series on PC because they can take advantage of the PC's power and flexibility. Also with mods, PC games can offer a longer replay life that consoles can't compete with- which is probably why a lot of big titles have come out with PC ports.

No way! The way I see it, multiple platforms breed multiple titles way more than if you only had a single one. Never mind the 'exclusivity' of certain titles, we all know they get ported to the PC eventually whether officially or unofficially. There is more than enough space for competition and contrary to what some people might believe it doesn't distract the developers by making them concentrate on a single platform, it gives them more options to make money basically and that should be enough incentive to make a decently optimized game.

I think as P-C gamers we should all be thankful to consoles. You may not like to admit it, but they do buy considerably more copies on consoles than on PCs. So if it wasn't for consoles, we would not get most of the awesome single player games like GTA series.

I've always thought that consoles were a waste, but if I want to play awesome games I have to own whatever console it's made for. I've owned all the major consoles up to the Xbox360 and have never been happy to buy them. It seems so stupid when they could be making games for PC and easily accessible to so many more people. I was always told that having a console made it easier to program consistent performance into the game, but these days games are written cross-platform all the time. Why bother with consoles anymore when you can usually get a great PC for a similar price?

Both appeal to different demographics or sometimes both appeal to people but at different times. They make money, so they will continue. I would like it if the games were also offered on PC since many of them are not. Why ignore an entire market?

No, because there's definitely a benefit to having a console. I find it more portable than an actually gaming PC, and it's a lot simpler to use.

No, because there's definitely a benefit to having a console. I find it more portable than an actually gaming PC, and it's a lot simpler to use.

To be honest portability may be an issue but let me ask a question. If we could get it to a stage where we revolutionize the industry and it's more common place for someone to have say, a 27' HD monitor and a solid gaming PC, would portability be an issue? For example, you could go over to a friend's and sign into a steam account and load up the game there. You could have 4 controllers going via USB, or Wireless USB and wouldn't be just like gaming on a TV?

My main idea is considering that all industries are looking to bring all your information into one area, hence we see online streaming for tv gaining ground on cable or dish, why not the same for gaming? My ultimate goal would be for you to stop paying 700$ annually for games, DLC's, accessories, and new consoles; and instead you buy a solid gaming PC, and have integration of games so you don't have to struggle between Bioshock/Uncharted, you can have both.

But like a lot of you said, the industry might not want that. Consoles are still the main seller, even though they take hits from Steam and illegal copies.

To be honest portability may be an issue but let me ask a question. If we could get it to a stage where we revolutionize the industry and it's more common place for someone to have say, a 27' HD monitor and a solid gaming PC, would portability be an issue? For example, you could go over to a friend's and sign into a steam account and load up the game there. You could have 4 controllers going via USB, or Wireless USB and wouldn't be just like gaming on a TV?

My main idea is considering that all industries are looking to bring all your information into one area, hence we see online streaming for tv gaining ground on cable or dish, why not the same for gaming? My ultimate goal would be for you to stop paying 700$ annually for games, DLC's, accessories, and new consoles; and instead you buy a solid gaming PC, and have integration of games so you don't have to struggle between Bioshock/Uncharted, you can have both.

But like a lot of you said, the industry might not want that. Consoles are still the main seller, even though they take hits from Steam and illegal copies.

If everyone had a decent gaming PC, then of course portability would not be an issue, but I don't see everyone having decent gaming PCs for some time now, if at all. I like the idea of the steam box that's coming out, because it addresses the issue of portability, but you still get the benefit of console gaming, and being able to PC game with one platform.

I do not that think that should happen at all. I still own a ps4 and xbone and to see them go away would suck. Some games are just better ported for consoles anyway.

I do not that think that should happen at all. I still own a ps4 and xbone and to see them go away would suck. Some games are just better ported for consoles anyway.

But hey, it would suck to let them go now. But think of all the money you'd save!! No live/PSN fees, only internet fee for your home! And hey, I guess they'd become collectors if my mad dream were to come true! Just think about it...

As much as I would love this I don't think it'll happen. Many game companies have close ties and distribution agreements with console manufacturers. It's the reason why you see console exclusives, it's all an excuse to milk money out of us players.

It's all about the money, and the fact of the matter is that millions of people don't game on the PC - they choose consoles. So the industry is going to make games for consoles for the foreseeable future, and that's not a problem to me.

If everyone had a decent gaming PC, then of course portability would not be an issue, but I don't see everyone having decent gaming PCs for some time now, if at all. I like the idea of the steam box that's coming out, because it addresses the issue of portability, but you still get the benefit of console gaming, and being able to PC game with one platform.
This would be my argument also. The average consumer does not own a gaming PC. Most average consumers would be unable to play the vast majority of the latest releases simply because their system is not powerful enough. In order to eliminate consoles, you would need the majority of PC owners to upgrade their systems.

I don't think they should stop making games for consoles. I just wish that there wasn't any console exclusives. I wish I could play games such as Little Big Planet and The Last of Us on PC.

I find consoles tedious and useless compared to a PC. Although, they appeal mostly to the casual people that spend less time playing video games than someone who thoroughly enjoys wasting hours just to beat that boss in a certain hard way. They make up the majority of the buyers in console and console games sales, something companies will never give up. So we're kinda stuck with them.
Some consoles like Sega Genesis or Playstation 3 are good to me. I feel that PC is the true living console with its graphical qualities. Not to mention you could upgrade your computer to your likings.

Of course not. I love consoles. The only reason I'm a PC gamer is because it's easier and cheaper to upgrade your PC than it is upgrading your console. I've always found that playing with a console is a whole lot better than playing with a PC. Way easier and a lot more confortable. When I switched I had a hard time getting used to playing with a keyboard and a mouse.

Of course not! A lot of people just prefers to game on consoles and also the fact that games made for consoles will always work the way they were designed to. You have to remember that gaming on a pc is much more complex as not all games will work on all computers. We have to realize that computers don't all come with the same hardware and therefore gaming performance will vary from one pc to the next where as consoles all have the same hardware and so game will perform the same way.