Do you prefer the pc version of games over the console?

Rowe992

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
I have never really been a fan of console gaming because I have always felt that the pc versions of games where better. I have seen it where the pc version has better graphics and just gives a difference feel.Anyone else prefer to game on a pc over a console?

It's hard to give a definite answer. If we are strictly talking gameplay wise then strategy, fps and similar game genres are definitely more playable/enjoyable on PC due to the controls being more precise and fluid. However I do prefer to play 2D beat 'em ups, platformers, racing simulations and similar game types on the console. Regarding graphics the PC is always gonna win, also you can't mod games on consoles. I've played GTA5 on PS3 and while the game looked and played great there were some very serious frame issues (I know that the hardware is ancient by PC standards), at certain locations it seemed as if the frame rate goes down to single digits. Nevertheless I enjoyed playing it.

For the most part I enjoy the PC ports much better. I like using a mouse and keyboard, plus some of my favorite genres play better on the PC (such as mod-able RPGs and of course RTS which needs a mouse and keyboard).

That being said, playing on the console is much more comfortable to me. I hate playing at a desk and I love being able to play on a larger screen.

Things like graphics and frame rates don't really bother me though.

Definitely. You can mod and get creative with them in ways you can't with console versions. However the issue about ports is that sometimes if they're made for console first, the controls in the PC versions are messed up, ect. Racing games/fighting games and whatnot tend to be more fun on a console and then there's also the fact that there's more intimate social party games on a console vs PC. Hence Rock Band, DDR, Mario Party, ect. Both offer their strengths and it all depends on the situation.

It depends on personal taste, but objectively the PC has more space for new things, features, controls, etc. and also it is better graphic-wise. You can also plug in a controller and convert it to a console. Despite that some people like console over PC because some games are only available in consoles and in their mind it has a different 'feel'. Consoles are supposed to focus on games only and they are supposed to perform better with their gaming-only chips, but the PC always comes on top of them for various reasons.

For me, it really depends on the game we're talking about here. In my opinion, I prefer playing on PC over console for the majority of the time. It offers way more communication, where on a console, you need a headset to communicate with others. Also, it just feels way more natural with a mouse for most games than with a controller, but that varies from person to person.

However, playing retro-style games feels like they're just made for consoles. I guess it's just how I'm used to playing those kind of games on consoles before PC's.

Really, it varies from person to person, and that's just my opinion

I prefer my games on the PC, perhaps because that is all I have ever owned. I don't really see much reason to own a console as opposed to a PC. I can upgrade my PC, games are (most probably) going to keep working and it serves for a lot more than just playing games (never mind the great input method that is the keyboard). The argument about the controller being better for some games also doesn't really hold much since you can use a controller for the PC (and HOTAS, etc.) if you wish.

The only argument I can come up in favor of consoles is that their hardware tends to remain static through the cycle so it's easier to get the best out of them, and it could be cheaper to develop for them (no need to try many hardware configurations) but as a consumer there is very little reason. And I haven't even mentioned modding.

However I do prefer to play 2D beat 'em ups, platformers, racing simulations and similar game types on the console.

Couldn't you play said games with a controller on the PC, instead though? Assuming the game supports it on PC, that is.

I've never played on a high end PC before so I honestly don't know what I'm missing, but to be honest, I'm not too particular about the graphics. I had as much fun in the games I played on my old PSP as I did in the games I like now in ps3. I wouldn't deny that being used to a certain standard doesn't eventually spoil you though. I'm sure if I played on high end PCs long enough it would be difficult to be content with lesser graphics again.

I prefer my games on the PC, perhaps because that is all I have ever owned. I don't really see much reason to own a console as opposed to a PC. I can upgrade my PC, games are (most probably) going to keep working and it serves for a lot more than just playing games (never mind the great input method that is the keyboard). The argument about the controller being better for some games also doesn't really hold much since you can use a controller for the PC (and HOTAS, etc.) if you wish.

The only argument I can come up in favor of consoles is that their hardware tends to remain static through the cycle so it's easier to get the best out of them, and it could be cheaper to develop for them (no need to try many hardware configurations) but as a consumer there is very little reason. And I haven't even mentioned modding.

Couldn't you play said games with a controller on the PC, instead though? Assuming the game supports it on PC, that is.
Yes you can now a days when almost every game is ported to the PC.

It really depends on the game and the genre. I don't think Sports games are very good on the PC and much prefer them on the console. Other games like the Grand Theft Auto series I have preferred on the console as well, though I still play them and enjoy them on PC. RPGs are a bit weird, JRPGs for some reason feel weird to me when they are on the PC, I've played a few but could never really get into them. Western RPGs and hack'n Slash RPGs on the other hand totally belong on the PC. I played Oblivion on PS3 at first and it was a good game, but it was totally blown away by the modding community of the PC version.

I always preferred pc gaming over console gaming. The graphics, utility and all around ergonomics of the computer are way over the benefits of a console.

It depends a lot on the game and the quality of the port. Some games like Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIV had stellar PC ports. On the other hand Assassin's Creed's PC port in particular was god awful and full of bugs.

Don't have a console so I can tell you straight up that I prefer the PC versions. Also, I don't see why game developers have to develop games exclusively for a particular platform. There are so many games in the Final Fantasy series which I would like to play, but which were never ported over to the PC. Some of them were also pretty badly ported and it's like playing a PS3 game with a keyboard. Not fun at all.

Both my husband and I prefer PC gaming. The kids are more into consoles. My husband is unhappy that a lot of games he'd like to play are only available on console. He'd much rather play at his desk, in his big, comfy chair.

I really wish more games were available for both, rather than one or the other.

I have always generally preferred PC gaming far over console gaming. I really wish they wouldn't make "console exclusive" games, because there are so many I'd love to play on my PC, but I can't. ("The Last of Us" and "Infamous: Second Son" why do you have to be PlayStation exclusive. Why do you do this to me.)

Yes. Unless game is console exclusive, there's no way I'm ever going to buy it on a console. I mean, other than a bad port, I can't think of a reason to NOT buy the PC version - mods, better framerates, better graphics, better controls depending on the genre...

I've always preferred the PC version over the console version for many reasons. The most important one is probably the fact that I've got a PC anyways, so I don't have to spend money buying a separate console. However, as of late many PC ports have been absolutely horrendous - I remember the Dark Souls port having extremely annoying controls, Devil May Cry 3 being extremely broken, and most recently Final Fantasy 13 being nearly unplayable. Kinda made me think if it's actually worth it to buy ports nowadays.

So it seems like there are a lot of persons like myself who prefer to game on a pc. I just wish the developers would release the pc versions of certain games such as GTA V. It always annoys me when they take a long time to release the pc version of a game.

I have to say that I prefer the console games. The reason for this is I do not have the jerky motion that I get with a PC game. I know that the PC games tend to have some great graphics, but if you do something that takes up memory or ram you can have the jerky motion with your computer game.

I have never really been a fan of console gaming because I have always felt that the pc versions of games where better. I have seen it where the pc version has better graphics and just gives a difference feel.Anyone else prefer to game on a pc over a console?

Depends on the genre.. action games like sports, racing or platformers are better on consoles. RPGs ( even action RPGs) are generally better on the computer as well as most sim type games.

twitch-games - consoles
anything else - PC.