Do you have a significant other?

Super Mario

Registered
Apr 20, 2006
Medford, Oregon
Just a topic to create some discussion, and to keep the scene alive.

My girlfriend and I have been together for a little over a year and 6 months now. I dont know how I ever lived without her.

Awwwww....that is so sweet. :veryhappy I don't know how I lived without you either.

wcmpad.jpg

hehe :veryhappy :hearts:

Last edited:
Wow, boyfriend and girlfriend tandem posting.

After my girlfriend finishes Grad School which is in one month I plan on making her my fiancee :) So Yes, I have a significant other.

But Spudly- if you are willing to go camping with me I might reconsider ;)

Of course, the Amos to my Andy, the Mario to my Luigi, the Brian to my Peter, wijg. Theres also a woman on the side, but no need to get too in depth about her.

Been married for 2 years come this June......Been together for like 6 years.....Got a little on the way in October......All is grand.....and Jonas is right about marriage rocking....Sometimes it can try your patience, but marriage is also one of the best things you can ever experience

I think it's fantastic that you all have such positive attitudes about marriage. People seem to only express cynicism when it comes to marriage these days. I'm glad there's a group that's still tuned to the mystery and magic of the sacred bond.

I see no bond formed by marriage. The bond should be there all along. My current opinion is that people get married for a number of reasons, none of which are to form a bond between them. Strengthen a bond? Perhaps, but you'd have to really believe in the abstract process and the state of being married. I suspect though thast most people don't and get married for practical reasons, as the bond is what has kept them together.

Hmm. I believe that the blood-covanant of marriage forms a new bond, not just strengthening the pre-existing one, but utterly overwhelming it.

But then, my beliefs about marriage are very different from what the societal norm is right now.

No, that is why it is my current opinion. It could change if I ever get married. I'm not opposed to the idea. My belief is that if I love someone, that love is absolute, and everything is secondary to that notion. Everything else is an abstraction to that. Even if I got married, the state of being in a marriage or union doesn't change the nature of the love, because that love is immutable. Whatever results in an official marriage or union, whatever transcendent qualities are now found, are not created by that union, but are born from the preexising love.

And no, I have not found that significant other yet. I guess I'm just wired differently. My view of love seems to be highly idealistic.

highly idealistic or just naive? Saying nothing will change after you're married is like friends saying nothing will change after they have sex.

Asylum, for instance, was with his lady for years before they actually got married. Like he said earlier, it does make a difference.

One man's idealism is another man's naivete. And I'm not saying nothing would change. I admit that there are probably some people that would experience a different kind of change in their relationship than me, just based on their core belief system. I speak for myself, and I am making some assumptions that I'm not alone in this. What I'm saying will not change is the love that has always been there. If you say that the love becomes greater by the very act of marriage, that to me has implications I do not like, such as that my love is incomplete, flawed until I do get married. I cannot view love in that way.

Basically, the argument comes down to if you believe that the act of marriage itself bestows something greater upon a couple than what was there before. Just the act. Not the circumstances of their relationship or life as it changes by the rammifications of marriage afterwards.

Some people might view the idea of an eternal union as the great quality of marriage, that the act of marriage somehow legitimizes this. I say, the eternal union is a state you have the potential to enter into when you meet someone, without any pomp or ceremony or rites or anything. Soul mates basically I guess.

That's a lot of words Roach. And if you view marriage the same way, as just some spoken words, then you're right: nothing changes. However, if you are making a commitment to someone, if you mean it, and they accept and reciprocate, then it is different.

You can FEEL committed. You can ACT committed. But actually verbalizing and swearing it makes the difference.

Since when has words and promises spoken louder than actions? :p Taking what you just said, one can come to the conclusion that doing that doesn't entail 'marriage', as one can make a commitment to another, they reciprocate, they swear by it and verbalize it, and it's a done deal. It's just not sanctioned in the traditional sense through an ordained minister, in front of your friends and family, and what have you. If you happen to believe that way, then that's fine. I've spoken enough on this. I'll let this thing get back on topic.

Deep stuff there, Roach ^_^ Nicely put. I myself have never been married only being 17 at the moment. I have been dating my wonderful boyfriend for 2+ years (2.5 years in May... on the same day as our senior prom, actually XD Crazy). We met in Algebra II class (which let me tell you, it was the most minute chance in the world that we ended up in the same class, too. So many coincidences happened), and it's been my favorite class ever since. Another funny thing is that I found out he lived literally a street away from me, yet I had never seen him around and had only seen him in passing at school. I hadn't even seen him when I was running around the neighborhood in my younger days. Sooooo happy I met him though.

My parents now hate him and his family though, but that's a loooong story (not really long, just aggravating).

He's as much into video games as I am, too. He introduced me to his old Sega Genesis, and I forced the GameCube on him (*sigh* he still refuses to play Zelda though). Thanks to him, I'm also now at peace with Sony. (I still send Microsoft allll of my deathwishes though)