Do You Finish Games?

Maverick

I'm A Pimp, Bitch
Registered
Jul 10, 2005
The Steel City
www.myspace.com
So with my job taking up way too much of my time right now, I find that I have little to no time to game during the last 2 weeks. I'm trying to beat FN3 (and start playing GRAW), but I just can't right now. But my situation of not being able to finish FN3 got me to pondering, when you play games do you finish them? I'm not asking if you play to beat them, I'm asking if you actually do beat them. Do you cheat to win? Do you stop playing a game for a few months and then come back to it? What would you say your finishing percentage is? Basically, what type of gamer are you?

I'd have to say not including rentals, in the last 5 years I probably beat about 80-85% of the games I buy or borrow, and I rarely ever cheat. In the last 2 years my finishing percentage is 100%, mostly because I try to play one game at a time. M.A.G.

I have NEVER finished a game... I usually get to a point where the game gets to repetitive, the curve takes a huge jump or I get a new game. I have no idea what that says about me but I do not feel like I have to beat a game to enjoy it. I guess that I never even really think about beating a game.

I refuse to use FAQs and everything unless absolutely, postively necessary (or after beating it to learn of secrets). Have to keep the olden days alive when the internet didn't "exist". :p Basically, I will never quit a game because it's too hard. The challenge alone can make me play a bad game for longer than should be allowed. For instance, that Lord of the Rings game for the SNES. I got close to the end before I said "no mas". It was pretty hard, but it was hard through bad design. If a game sucks or is average and doesn't present a palpable challenge, then there's a good chance I won't play more than a few hours on it, much less finish it. Good and above, there's a good chance I will. However, rarely does a game come along that I seek to play until I've mastered or done everything you can do in it. The Halo games come to mind here.

I rarely finish games. I did save the Princess in the original Mario..might have been the last time I completed a game.

Together my husband and I completed X-men legends. He finishes most games that we get though.

I get close to finishing a game, then get stuck and frustrated and lose interest. Sometimes the interest can be rekindled but not always.

I often finish them...eventually. Though, I do have a pretty long list of games that are incomplete including...

Silent Hill 3
Suikoden Tactics
Disgaea
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle
Ninja Gaiden
Devil May Cry 3
...among others.

beating Captain Skyhawk started the list for me. I don't mind not beating games, unless the storyline makes me want to. Like with Shadow Hearts.

I always finish a game I start, not counting rented games. If I like a game enough to buy it, then I finish it. No, I destroy it. I will play it until I feel I've unlocked nearly all the secrets, killed all the major baddies, and explored nearly every inch of the terrain. Somebody went through the trouble of making it, I want to know it.

I don't cheat until after I've beaten it, and only if it unlocks something cool. If the characters change, or the NPC's react differently to different choices, I make it a point to play through using a different style. I also like to get good enough at a game to swing it on the hard levels.

ummmhhhhh......<<<<steps up to the microphone>>>>

Regarding the beating of a game, i think the last one i finished fully was the original Halo....but that was playing co-op with my bro'.....and i technically didn't beat the game....'cause at the very end, i jumped off the warthog and tried to grenade my bro' while he was in it......so i could say i beat it and he didn't.....Needless to say, the grenade bounced off the Warthog and back into me, killing me and i couldn't respawn.....Moral of the story kids: Cheaters never win, unless you have a super-de-duper shield and you throw a beer bottle at your brother to knock him out in said game......
.....Whoa, revealed too much there.....Cheating, i don't think i ever had on my own....Of course, me and my Xbox Live friends have tried different tricks on Halo 2.....We have never used them in the actual game!!!.....Those people are called modders.....and i'd rather be called a horse's a**, than ever destroy my machince like those little punks......Anyways, Cheaters never win!!

Well, since I'm an elder to the gaming industry (I'm 32), I probably own close to 1000 games. So with new ones coming in all the time, it gets harder and harder to try to beat those 60-100 hour snes rpg's. However I do try! For instance I'm still playing Final Fantasy XIII in an effort to beat it. I own FFIX, X, and X-2 but haven't even attempted to play those yet until I finish XIII. Over all, I'd say I try to complete almost every game I have....though I may die before doing so. Lol. I'd give myself an 80% completion rate.

Oh, and I don't cheat unless absolutely necessary. I'd rather play a game twice thru, once without using Faqs/cheats, and the second time using the necessary tools to complete the game 100% with all collectibles, all secrets, etc.

Now that I think of it.... I almost beat Tony Hawk Underground. I got to the last level.... then all of a sudden the tasks were WAY harder than anything else in the game. that really pissed me off. There was nothing in the game to prepare me for the last level. I was pissed, to say the least. I still play all of the games that I own. i still get enjoyment out of them and I love to change it up. It just comes down to the fact that, although I love games, I lack both the skills to play successfully and the ability to put other stuff aside in my life in order to dedicate enough time to a game.

I think I speak for a lot of serious scholars/college/grad students when I say that the Fall and Winter seasons are packed with so many good releases that we simply don't have time to beat every single game we buy. Some are simply not worth beating and get sold; others are simply set aside for new releases. It's tough when you have to grade papers as a grad assistant, study for all your classes, and then work on your overall M.A. thesis. A fair number of us will use a cheat device if absolutely necessary, say to avoid having to spend hours mindlessly leveling up in an RPG. These are precious hours that we could be spending studying and writing, or more importantly, leading a dynamic social life to maintain mental stability.

I never ever ever cheat. I ALMOST never use a guide. I pretty much only use a guide for insanely difficult boss fights. Like learning the tricks to Ninja Gaiden bosses, or the combos to knock a boss in the air in Xenosaga 2.

I am a chronic game-non finisher.

Well I finish action/adventure games (Ico, Prince of Persia I and II on my PS2, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.), but oh RPG's they are my bane.

I have completed only 2 rpgs I think, no 3! Woohoo!

But I've never finished any FF-themed games (except for FFX but c'mon!). So no one tell me what happens at the end of Final Fantasy VII, k? (haha i'm kidding, i've heard the ending tons of times).

And I blame this due to how busy I am (used to have a full time job and attend school), lack of motivation or just lose brief interest and move on to another game. The games are not to blame.

And the final bosses intimidate me. :(

spudlyff8fan said:
I never ever ever cheat. I ALMOST never use a guide. I pretty much only use a guide for insanely difficult boss fights. Like learning the tricks to Ninja Gaiden bosses, or the combos to knock a boss in the air in Xenosaga 2.

Yeah Ninja Gaiden was a tough one to beat. The end boss was a punk, but Alma, she should've been the end boss. I hated fighting her the first time so much. One of the hardest boss fights ever IMO.

You must Finish waht you start

Last I checed off.
Kingdom hearts 2
Devil MAy Cry Special Edition all modes
Prince of Persa 3
Fight Night 360
NFSMW - Xbox.
Ninja gaiden Black - all but Master
FFX - 8 go round
RE4 PS2 - and Cube 13th time
Onimush Dawn of Dreams.
Tomb Raider Legend 360
Smah TV

I could go on an on . But that is the latest to get destryoed in the lab.

Because of a crazy-@$$ senior year in high school (I've been managing the whole school paper while the teacher has been on maternity leave since Halloween... it's not easy teaching a classful of froshies, I'll tell you that much. That and I've had scholarships assailing me from all sides--ten finished so far, booyah!--and have several AP classes that desperately need attending to), I've had very little time to play, let alone finish games. It doesn't help that roughly ten years later, my parents still scream their brains out for me to stop playing videogames (but that's when I get off the GameCube or whatever and run into my room and switch on the GameBoy XD) Usually they end up going to my boyfriend when I stop playing for a while. Then he'll start and finish them, and I'll get them back and finish up where I left off. That's happened with Metroid Prime and now its happening with Echoes.

This saddens me too, because I used to be a lot better about finishing games. I hate horrible time constraints XP I don't even know if I'll have any consoles with me when I go to college (maybe I'll take the Cube and SSBM... everyone likes SSBM ^_^). The list of games I have completed though could fill a small pamphlet or publication, so I'm proud of that. I have all the Zelda games on there (OK, not all, but most) and a bunch of other handheld goodies. Huzzah for GameBoy.