Do You Buy Games On Day-one Release?

I almost never do. There's some rare exceptions such as Dark Souls 2 (only game I've ever pre-ordered) or the upcoming Yakuza 5 (I want to pre-order but don't have the funds, want to buy as close to release as possible). But I usually really, really don't, I only buy on day one if it's a really special game from a franchise I know I love.

If I'm not sold on the game I'll wait til the day after to pick up my pre-order, just enough time to get reviews and make sure people actually like it.

Though it is always a little fun to pick it up day one and take a risk.

Well even if you don't buy on release, those bugs and glitches will still be there if you buy them later on. The companies really need to get better at getting all those glitches out before release day, because they rarely do and I've played too many games where there were glitches and it was obnoxious for game play. But I wait to buy because I don't like paying full price for them and I like seeing reviews on the game first.

Extremely rarely. I'll only do it if I really know it's worth it. In the past I did for WoW expansions and GW2. Yeah generally release days for MMOs is laggy and buggy but Blizzard and Anet have years on new companies so generally it's tolerable and fairly smooth sailing.

I'm not a rich man even though the games are great I have to wait for steam sales and the like, that's my problem. Glitches can be fixed it's all good but I also don't like getting hyped up about something then get disappointed when the game isn't what I imagined it to be. I bought Assassin's Creed Revelations and Brotherhood along with other AC games and I've had that problem. The graphics are bad, the storyline is shot and even the length of it is a problem. I'm probably just nitpicking but I always wait for the sale no matter what game it is.

No. It's too pricey. I waited for at least 3 months before buying the game. And I usually buy it into gamers who already finished the game and selling their CD's.

I always sound like a grouchy old man when talking about video games these days, but the fact is that it's becoming less and less of a good idea to buy games on day one. I used to buy games on release day all the time. Heck I even used to preorder games to make sure that I'd be playing them the day they're out. However, this was before the era when developers/publishers decided that release dates mattered more than putting out a finished game.

The thing is that these days, you can never be too sure as to whether or not the game you're buying is going to be bug tested and complete, or a glitchy mess that the developers intend on fixing later.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a perfect, recent example of this. The game came out February 13th, and it is just a disaster. Not the game itself, the game mechanics and story are quite wonderful. However, it is very poorly optimized and has many game breaking glitches that have made my experience with it less than acceptable so far.

The developers intend on fixing it with patches in the coming weeks, but in my opinion they should have handled this before release.

It depends on what the game is and how hyped I am for it. With Grand Theft Auto V, when it first came out on the older generation consoles, I had pre-ordered it months before the launch because I just knew it was going to be a great game and I was looking forward to it so much. Recently, I have started to slow down on pre-orders especially after I learnt my lesson with Need for Speed Payback. After watching the trailers and a bit of gameplay, I was looking forward to it so much. It just wasn't as great and was quite disappointing really. I ended up getting a refund for the game, because it was not at all worth what I pre-ordered it for and now I will just wait a few days before buying a game that has just come out.

I always sound like a grouchy old man when talking about video games these days, but the fact is that it's becoming less and less of a good idea to buy games on day one. I used to buy games on release day all the time. Heck I even used to preorder games to make sure that I'd be playing them the day they're out. However, this was before the era when developers/publishers decided that release dates mattered more than putting out a finished game.

The thing is that these days, you can never be too sure as to whether or not the game you're buying is going to be bug tested and complete, or a glitchy mess that the developers intend on fixing later.

Dude, this.

Either I'm a grouchy old woman or we're both in the right because it's just not worth it to buy a game on day one... Unless it's really plot-heavy one or a visual novel, and that's just because I hate being spoiled more than anything else. Other than that it's a risky bet to make, because you're most likely getting an unfinished, buggy and subpar product.

Not to mention that companies now make sure to hype you a lot for a game that turns out to be simple trash with a pretty trailer, so I like to wait for reviews and official comments before wasting money.

Personally, I sincerely don't rush to buy any game on it's day one release, I would like to wait back and get some reviews on how good the game is before getting it for myself. It would really piss me off on wasting my money on buying a game that is not worth it.

After the reviews of players on the game and if what I read interests me, then I would move forward with all willingness and buy the game with all pleasure to have fun with it.

The only game that I do buy on the day of release is the expansion for things such as WoW and so on but I guess that doesn't count as a new game? Other than that, I haven't bought any games on the day of the release for years now. The main reason is that I've gotten burnt way too many times. Once I bought an FPS, multiplayer and it was so terribly optimized for PC that it hardly even ran. It took the devs at least 2 months to fix the bugs so you could at least somewhat play it with semi-decent FPS. I basically wasted $60 on it.

I feel like the companies are just too fixated on profit rather than delivering a well-made game with little bugs. It's crazy how half finished these newer games are.

Well I am beta testing some games or testing out the early access of them before the release date and then to the point I'll buy the game if that catches my interest and if it is a good one.

Personally, I sincerely don't rush to buy any game on it's day one release, I would like to wait back and get some reviews on how good the game is before getting it for myself. It would really piss me off on wasting my money on buying a game that is not worth it.

After the reviews of players on the game and if what I read interests me, then I would move forward with all willingness and buy the game with all pleasure to have fun with it.

I agree with you on this in the sense that I'm that type of person that doesn't feel like buying games with hype and when it was first released. The core reason is that there might be bugs that will need to be sorted out in the game that buying it at first will mean spending more on that. So, I keep calm and see how my friends that plays similar games talk about the game before I take my final decision on it.

I used to, probably more so before I had kids and had more of a disposable income to play with. These days when cash is a lot tighter and there are more bills to pay, I've got to consider more what I spend on - so I usually wait a little while longer, for the games to be reviewed. I want to make sure that I'm really going to enjoy the game and that it's something that's worth the money...and usually waiting a while means the prices also go down a bit (an added bonus of being patient!)

Most the time, I ask for games for birthday/Christmas presents too, so that requires some waiting depending on the time of year that it's released.

I agree with you on this in the sense that I'm that type of person that doesn't feel like buying games with hype and when it was first released. The core reason is that there might be bugs that will need to be sorted out in the game that buying it at first will mean spending more on that. So, I keep calm and see how my friends that plays similar games talk about the game before I take my final decision on it.

You absolutely right about this, bugs are one major problem that comes with new games when they are not properly tested before their release probably because there has been too much clamor for its release. So most times without proper trial testing leads to not discovering any bugs that would pose a problem to gamers and this leaves a bad review on the game.

So therefore, in my opinion it's worth it waiting for a while before rushing to get the game as this would put you in a good position to determine whether the game is really worth buying.

I've never bought a game on release day, I usually wait for any feedback from the players if the game is worth it and if there are any bugs with the game, to make sure that my money is well-spent.

The only game I bought on day one release was Far Cry 5. In my opinion it really wasn’t worth spending $90 CAD on. I would honestly just wait a month or two until game reviews have been put up.

nope I don't because the day one release of a game is the most expensive day of buying that game. hahaha I like to buy cheap I don't mind if there are a lot person who are able to finish the game already as long as I am able to purchase the same game fir a cheaper price, don't really care if it's the day one release or not.

It really depends on how addicted I am on a game. I remember that the only game I and my friends bought and ordered on day one was an expansion set of StarCraft Brood Wars.

It really depends on how addicted I am on a game. I remember that the only game I and my friends bought and ordered on day one was an expansion set of StarCraft Brood Wars.
hahah well for me it my friends have it I try to borrow it from them and once finished giving them back and never ever buy that game anymore, although before I hate to admit that I did find myself buying games because I didn't know that you can download most games in the internet, that's why I often buy games.