Do you actually play games that push your PC?

thepieeatingjay

Registered
Nov 6, 2014
One thing that computer gamers love to push is just how powerful their machines are. But one thing I've noticed about that (in my opinion) is that power may not even matter anymore. When these developers make their games, they make them for the lower end computers mainly. So the 2% that actually have powerful machines have power that goes unused.

Does anyone actually have any games that TRULY push their machines?

Most games push my pc to redline. Usually I have to turn the volume up to cancel out the fans that are running at full speed. But I have been saving for a while so I can have a super powerful pc that can last at least 4 years from now. Developers should slit up the studio to make the same game but one half should make it for the higher end systems, while the other half gets the one optimized for lower systems.

I have seen a lot of PC gamers who like to brag about their gaming rigs... those folks are simply trying to convince themselves that spending hundreds or thousands on a PC (that will cost them even more once they get their electricity bills in) was a good financial decision on their part.

I'm kidding. If I had the cash, i'd probably get a gaming PC of my own, maybe even one of those Alienware laptops; I like mobility, man!

Most games these days are made with consoles in mind, so they're obviously not going to be very demanding on PC. Well, for those who have those $2000 gaming rigs anyway. I don't have a gaming PC myself. Anything that I can't play on PC i'll just buy on a console.

The last game I tried that really stressed my PC was the Evolve alpha. That'll be a game i'll have to buy once I get a PS4...

Last edited:
I have played Stormwall which is a online game, and sometimes do have to adjust settings otherwise it will get blocked out or overloaded. I have downloaded Dragon Age origins which used a bit of data to download, and sometimes glitches occur when playing for a hour or two and sometimes it does not happen which is strange at times when playing the game. Some online games, do use gigabytes a lot and cause computer to get overloaded and block user or cause game not to work sometimes it has happened to me and the worse is if you get pop up ads which are downloaded in game and slow computer down. Spending money on upgrades can cost a bit and may not be worth it and would only do it if needed.

I used to do this a lot with my old laptop. It would get real hot but I didn't care because I simply loved playing. But eventually, I saved up enough money to buy myself a gaming rig. Obviously, the difference is immense. I still have my old laptop and I now just use it mostly for work.

Yeah, I push my PC to the fullest. But the thing is that it's 'fullest' is a little less than medium in Battlefield 3, so that kinda sucks. I'm planning on upgrading my video card, see how it goes.

Everyone I know that bought top-end computers did it for games like Crysis. Now that they grew tired of games with no playability, I guess they have to settle with playing Starcraft and WoW on ultra? Can't help but feel like they wasted their money.

Anyway, the only time I've pushed my gaming system was when I played on my (now broken) laptop, it would have FPS troubles with every game out there and could barely run Windows 7. I ran every game on the lowest graphics and I never noticed a difference.

I'll play games regardless of the system requirements needed. I see if my computer has a hard time dealing with the game or if it lags too much, if it does I do adjust the settings but it really all depends on how my computer handles the game. If the game is unplayable, even after adjusting my computer I'll end up passing on it, because at the point I know from then on playing the rest of the game is going to be rough and i'd hate having to adjust my computer every time I need to progress on.

I push my computer to its limits, but that's mostly because its not very good. I'm hoping to do odd jobs and things to get the money to upgrade it, but its not exactly a priority right now.

Before I bought a GTX 770, my 580 just couldn't handle playing the Witcher 2 at Max settings, and trust me, that's a game that deserves to be maxed out. I didn't play the Witcher 2 until I got my hands on a more capable card, and I can say it was worth it... Now bring on number 3.

I don't know if there is anything that can push my PC to its limits right now. I am pretty safe with 2 Titans and 16 GB Ram for now. I won;t nee to upgrade for the next 5-6 years. Al least I hope so. It's getting really expensive to buy a new hardware nowadays.

I don't know if there is anything that can push my PC to its limits right now. I am pretty safe with 2 Titans and 16 GB Ram for now. I won;t nee to upgrade for the next 5-6 years. Al least I hope so. It's getting really expensive to buy a new hardware nowadays.
Lucky you, I wish I had a similar setup. Though I think it will run on high just for two or three years, requirements on games go high very quickly.

My laptop is just short of a meltdown from playing Tetris, so I can safely say that I've pushed it to its limit quite a bit (and it's probably worse for the wear). I've been saving up some money and I'm hoping that with a grand or so I can finally get a good gaming desktop come Christmas. Until then, I'll just play gems like VtMB and the older Touhou games and hope for the best.

I agree with what the post says, although like the poster above me said, when you have a computer that's not up to par with now a days games, it definitely feels like you're pushing the PC to its breaking point. I had a Samsung laptop with good ram and graphics card but because the way the laptop was made I had to open the case and drill holes in it to let it aerate because it would shut down the second I played a game like Minecraft. Although, I later realized that it was the thermal paste that needed changing... That made the biggest difference! I was able to play bigger games like GTAIV without it overheating ever.

Buy a desktop PC if you want to game! Much better.

I agree with what the post says, although like the poster above me said, when you have a computer that's not up to par with now a days games, it definitely feels like you're pushing the PC to its breaking point. I had a Samsung laptop with good ram and graphics card but because the way the laptop was made I had to open the case and drill holes in it to let it aerate because it would shut down the second I played a game like Minecraft. Although, I later realized that it was the thermal paste that needed changing... That made the biggest difference! I was able to play bigger games like GTAIV without it overheating ever.

Buy a desktop PC if you want to game! Much better.

Ugh, man...my laptop tends to go into instant overheat if I try to play any games that aren't really old on it. In my case it's because no one else in my family plays PC games so they didn't know not to get something with intergrated graphics, so here I am. I tried to persevere with the likes of Sims 2 but it ended up nearly breaking the laptop completely, so I just had to give up. Now that I'm in college, the gaming society there is telling me "Get a gaming laptop! Get Alienware!", but I'm so sick of laptops. I want to sit on a chair and have a mouse instead of an annoying touchpad, haha.

I agree with the original poster in that you don't need to go absolute maximum with a PC to be able to play all the new stuff comfortably, though. If you build it yourself, a good gaming desktop would be somewhere from 1000-2600 Euro, and to be honest, you really only need the lower end of that range for something that can play the top quality games today.

I used to, but right now a lot of games just make my PC crash if their over a certain level of ram usage. I miss the good old days when I could play them and not worry about my computer restarting out of nowhere on me when I wanted to play something with high definition on it.

Since I currently have only a laptop to play my games on, I push my laptop to it's limits (although it's a gaming laptop). That is if I play the games on high graphic quality, which makes my laptop really hot and I needed to buy a cooler for it. I push it to it's limit, but I have never exceeded the limit which is good. I'm looking to buy a desktop this summer when I have more time and let this laptop do some other things than gaming. There are probably some PCs out there that you can't push them to their limits at any time with video games, but there are a lot of video games out there that push almost any PC to it's limits. I don't think that the developers make games that way, that any PC can run them on the highest settings.

Ugh, man...my laptop tends to go into instant overheat if I try to play any games that aren't really old on it. In my case it's because no one else in my family plays PC games so they didn't know not to get something with intergrated graphics, so here I am. I tried to persevere with the likes of Sims 2 but it ended up nearly breaking the laptop completely, so I just had to give up. Now that I'm in college, the gaming society there is telling me "Get a gaming laptop! Get Alienware!", but I'm so sick of laptops. I want to sit on a chair and have a mouse instead of an annoying touchpad, haha.

I agree with the original poster in that you don't need to go absolute maximum with a PC to be able to play all the new stuff comfortably, though. If you build it yourself, a good gaming desktop would be somewhere from 1000-2600 Euro, and to be honest, you really only need the lower end of that range for something that can play the top quality games today.

You don't necessarily need to build a new one either you can also upgrade what you have. When you play a game make sure to look at the system requirements and see where your computer is lacking and then look at what you'll need to improve for the game to work. Some of it may be as simple as updating to a latest driver that you already which wouldn't cost anything while some of it may need you purchase upgraded parts. Purchasing a new computer altogether can get costly but upgrading your system could save some money since your only upgrading parts of your system as opposed to just buying a new one.

I would love to play a game that needs a computer with the most up to date graphics card and processor. If I try right now my computer will crash LMAO. Perhaps when money is in hand. My PS3 keeps my gaming experience at a high level so I am happy.

When I bought a new PC a few years ago the first thing I did was install Far Cry 3 and turn up the graphics to maximum. It is a great experience at first, but my graphics card got really hot after a while.
Nowadays I would say that Witcher 3 or maybe BF4 would be great to play if you have a decent graphics card.