Disk vs. Digital Download

smartdude966

Registered
Nov 6, 2014
What do you prefer, buying the disk or downloading the game. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. With the disk you actually get something you can hold in your hand and various manuals and promotions in the box, along with the ability to sell it as well. But disks can get scratched or lost and scratched disks can mess up your disk drive in your pc or console. If you download a game digitally you can have it forever you can re-download it anytime and you don't have to rummage through games to find a disk. You can also play a game on launch day no matter what because a digital preorder can't get delayed.

I choose digital because I like that it's one less clutter I have to worry about. Also I've never really sold any of my old games nor do I have an interest to do it in the future so I don't really need to buy a disc just so I can resell it later on. I would I admit though that having physical copies does have a certain charm to it and I will be sad when they all disappear similar to how compact discs did along with the physical stores but that's just the way it is.

I prefer going digital. It's pretty fun and fancy to have a disk copy, though, but just like you, my main concern is the tendency of the disk getting scratches and physically damaged. But with digital, everything's under control and easy to manage.

Does anyone prefer CDs these days? They don't have anything going for them over a digital file: it's basically just as easy to pirate a CD version as a digital version, so even when you buy a game in your local store you still have to jump through hoops online to activate your game. I enjoy the "download and back it up"-routine I've got going, it's so much harder to lose both your PC and your backup harddisk. Do discs have any redeemable options at all?

Digital all the way! Lot's of space freed up with it. Plus, you can never really lose or forget a game unless you lose your account. You can play your games from basically anywhere and if you switch computers, you won't ever lose your progress in a game. The only downside to digital is that you can't really just play immediately. Waiting for a game to download is a bit of a pain, but still so worth it!

Definitely digital. No more worrying about losing or damaging the disk, or losing the CD Key when installing onto a new machine. It also saves a lot of room where I don't have to keep stacks and stacks of gaming disks around anymore.

It's the same reason I prefer eBooks over regular books. We have so many paper books in boxes because we have no room for them anywhere else. I want to eventually replace all our books with eBooks and then donate the lot of them.

I definitely choose digital just like the rest of you. I'm actually surprised, I thought more people would want the physical copy. I like the idea of purchases being tied to your gamertag, so when you log in on another device you can access it. There's the whole downside of not being able to lend games anymore, but I've never had friends really want to these days because of redbox or just playing together in person.

Damn, this is a hard one to decide, because I have had trouble with both. Ultimately, I rather have both types in my possession, because disks tend to get scratched easily and digital can get corrupted or deleted from one false mistake. The notion or thinking that one has to choose one thing over another is something I don't believe in at all - I have what I'm willing to choose for only, regardless if it is beneficial or malignant to me.

I prefer digital, because I always lose stuff. Even if I put it in a specific place so I won't lose it, I won't be able to find it when I want it (disc/cd key). Then, after I've pulled my hair out looking and given up, my husband or kiddo will say, "Here, this what you're looking for?" lol. I'll save myself the headache.

I prefer digital over disk any day. But I could see a day where we just use cardboard boxes to hold keys instead of CDs, for those who want the satisfaction of having a cardboard box, but don't want the risk that comes with a disk.

Digital download, it tends to be cheaper (e.g. Steam/Humble) due to literally no additional marginal cost of production, and there is zero physical clutter as well. Also I don't have to worry about misplacing my collection, or having to replay the game whenever I get a new PC thanks to cloud saves.

I think digital is really the way to go, who wouldn't want less mess? No need to to go out and buy something but I wouldn't get a digital copy usually if it wasn't cheaper than the disk. But if we're talking about PC games I'd usually get a digital copy, and if it's a console game I like to have the disk, it just feels more traditional.

I personally would say digital because it's more convenient: You don't have to make an effort to go all the way to a store to buy a game, you can buy it just from your house! Since most things are already going digital (online shopping, applying for jobs etc.), I'm sure that in the near future most people will favor digital downloads.

These days I just go with the digital version of the game. I guess because it is just a lot easier than having to go out and get the game physically. Lately this is something that I have been doing more and more.

I prefer digital, because you don't have to wait for Amazon or whatever place you bought it from to get it to you. Also, it can't get lost in transport, get stolen by neighbors when they leave it in your mailbox. On top of that, with digital you can buy a game and have it the same day. With Disks, you have to wait atleast a few days.

What do you prefer, buying the disk or downloading the game. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. With the disk you actually get something you can hold in your hand and various manuals and promotions in the box, along with the ability to sell it as well. But disks can get scratched or lost and scratched disks can mess up your disk drive in your pc or console. If you download a game digitally you can have it forever you can re-download it anytime and you don't have to rummage through games to find a disk. You can also play a game on launch day no matter what because a digital preorder can't get delayed.
I prefer downloading the game because for me,it's more secure,convenient and reliable.Digital versions of the game are also more clearer and can be re-down loaded at any given time.