Did you play in a computer lab?

JoanMcWench

Registered
Feb 16, 2015
I think my first experience with a computer was in our school at the computer lab. I had to have been in 3rd grade when they first brought computers into the school. This is when I found what I believed to be the greatest game of all time...Oregon Trail
PJ144.png

I can't even remember how many hours I lost to that & Number Munchers. So, was your school the first place you played computer games?

Yes!!! Back in 2007, I was attending a class on programming, and whenever we would finish our work (or whenever the teacher wouldn't come to the class), we would start playing together. Man, the countless matches of Counter Strike 1.6, especially on a custom Monopoly map! Or the times we played Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, and we would even discuss lore!

There was this one time when they installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein and we would take turns playing it. Sometimes it would get so scary we'd almost shit ourselves!

I really enjoyed that class, both for the knowledge I gained on programming, and for the fantastic moments with my colleagues. However, that was not my first exposure with computers, in fact I was a PC gamer by the time I started going to that class.

Yes. I remember playing Oregon Trail in like 3rd grade but I didn't like it that much. In kindergarten I first they had Apple computers and they would be math related games. I wasn't into the subject of math really but for some reason I liked the games. The ones that I recall were with the circus and delivering eggs.

Yes! Number Munchers FTW! I can still see that little green frog in my mind. Did anyone ever play Odell Lake? I remember that game giving me nightmares when the bigger fish would eat me.

We played Oregon Trail a ton in elementary school! It also helped that I grew up in Oregon so it was also for some of our projects. (I can't quite remember why though, my apologies) I can also remember SkiFree being the coolest game around back then, too. Anyone else remember that one?

Back then we would play Neopets and Runescape on our school's computer labs! With dial up connection and so many users it could take a minute to load a webpage!

Definitely. Someone manages to intall Starcraft 1 on our computers back then and we would play multiplayer through LAN. I still remember the old CRTs.

Those old computer labs at school were the worst thing in the world, and yet they were undeniably fun. I think I had a computer lab in early elementary school but not later on (aside from the computer labs where there were no games).

Nope, I didn't, we never had computer lab when I was little, and when we did, in 8th-9th grade, it was all locked down, sadly. We did play quite a few games at college though, but seeing as those were the most important classes there, I would much rather prefer if the teachers were doing their jobs instead.

Totally grew up on Oregon Trail. I loved the computer lab at my school and after school child care center. Yes Number Munchers too!

Yes my first experience with a computer was also in a computer lab at school when I was in grade 2 and that was how I found out about Grand Theft Auto Vice city. I fell in love with the Grand Theft auto series from that moment and I still think it is the greatest game series ever made.

When I got to college yes, I tried a lot of things until I figured out what the restriction imposed in the computers were, and then I played a lot of games in them especially MMORPGs like Guild Wars. That lasted until I got my own laptop and then in my free time I would hijack the LAN connection of one to play. Also I remember I wasn't the only one to do these things, a lot of times I saw people hijack the LAN connection to play WOW, and I found other games installed in the desktops.

We played a bunch of Counter Strike Source on our computer lab. It was on every PC and we often played local games during lunch breaks. It got so popular that our teachers had to remove the game from the computers, as the room was way too full of people every single break.

Man. Those take me back. Being in third grade, going to the computer lab to play Number Muncher, Oregon Trail, and a host of others. I remember back in fourth grade they even let us take home Apple II computers to do homework on, learn how to create hyperlink software, and even play games. They told us not to "share" our games, but you know how kids are when it came to computer games.

Hell Yeah!!!! Oregon Trail was the bomb back then. I use to play that thing all the time. It was wether that or commanding the turtle to do rudimentary movements on the screen. Oh and there was also Karataka.

Yes!!! Back in 2007, I was attending a class on programming, and whenever we would finish our work (or whenever the teacher wouldn't come to the class), we would start playing together. Man, the countless matches of Counter Strike 1.6, especially on a custom Monopoly map! Or the times we played Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, and we would even discuss lore!

There was this one time when they installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein and we would take turns playing it. Sometimes it would get so scary we'd almost shit ourselves!

I really enjoyed that class, both for the knowledge I gained on programming, and for the fantastic moments with my colleagues. However, that was not my first exposure with computers, in fact I was a PC gamer by the time I started going to that class.
Lucky for you we could not have that moment in the computer lab. Even when I went to Modesto Junior College we could not play any games on the computers in the library. We had to go into either the Founders Hall or Electronics building to play any games you just had to not get caught while in there.