Dark Souls!

Plus

Forum Cat
Registered
Feb 14, 2015
Hey guys.... So I've spent a lot of time in the past yelling at my computer because well... Dark Souls. It was extremely difficult, but that's it's charm. I loved how rewarding it was to beat a level, and how I'd feel so accomplished for doing something as simple as beating one enemy.

Any other fans? Or not-so-fans? Ha.

Gotta admit, I'm not really a fan. I went into it becasue I loved the world and the aesthetics, but sadly I was not told that the game will not really tell you anything about the world and the story is... cryptic at best. So I dropped it not too long into the game. I may come back to it someday, but for now, there's too many other games to play. :)

Dark Souls is one of the only games that I can come back to over and over again without getting bored. Yes, I get really upset and I also yell at my computer when I get owned in the game, but besides that, it's an enjoyable game.

Reactions: Plus
Despite not finishing Dark Souls (or any other Souls game) I'm a huge fan of them. There is something just right about the atmosphere and the gameplay that I just have not found anywhere else. Ever since I played it most games felt... less fun as they all seem so simple and... so not rewarding.

But, indeed, more than the gameplay, I love the Souls series for the way the world is presented to you. No strings whatsoever and a world to explore. Open world, yes, but with a purpose. A wonderful (albeit deadly) world which is just so nice to be in. It has a sense of calm, of peace, disturbed by the enemies that stand in your way. It is also dark and dreadful when it must be. Sorrowful at times, too.

Sadly, it didn't hook me and make me want to play it until I was finished. Still, what little I played was... like seeing the what the future may hold for us. It was like walking into the world of a good book and being able to see it for the first time - most games don't manage to do this. I hope that it goes down as both as a classic, and a turning point. Despite the flaws the series may have, there is much for everyone else to learn from it, in my opinion.

Ufff, I am interested about playing this games, but the fact that the games are so hard makes me think about it twice. I really love how the game looks, but I always set the game difficult on "easy mode" because I just care about graphics and story more than gameplay. I suppose this saga isn't for me xD

Ufff, I am interested about playing this games, but the fact that the games are so hard makes me think about it twice. I really love how the game looks, but I always set the game difficult on "easy mode" because I just care about graphics and story more than gameplay. I suppose this saga isn't for me xD
That poses an interesting question and a debate that I have had with a number of friends. Do you enjoy games that are incredibly hard and challenging or do you end up becoming frustrating because they are just too difficult which takes some of the fun out of the game? I like games that are challenging but at the same time, I like to play games to completion and sometimes if a game is just too hard then I move on to another game as I don't want to waste my time replaying the same level or boss fight over and over.

I liked the environments and how the boss battles could be easy or hard and sometimes there were puzzles in defeating the boss or waiting for the right moment and they have a huge life bar while your ones are small. The iron golem fight was amazing although physical attacks would not harm the guy a lot and used magic ones and he is slow so can take time in the fight. Some bosses can be slow like the iron golem and wolf which is good and just need to be aware of attacks they do, I liked the game as it seemed like god of war just that you fight way more bosses.

Dark Souls in my opinion is the best game in the series, being extremely unforgiving and challenging (as a throwback to the 90s games)

It's a real shame that they reduced the difficulty of Dark Souls 2. I'd recommend the first game over that any day.

That poses an interesting question and a debate that I have had with a number of friends. Do you enjoy games that are incredibly hard and challenging or do you end up becoming frustrating because they are just too difficult which takes some of the fun out of the game? I like games that are challenging but at the same time, I like to play games to completion and sometimes if a game is just too hard then I move on to another game as I don't want to waste my time replaying the same level or boss fight over and over.

That's why I love the Souls series despite never finishing it. I love that the game is challenging, but I honestly didn't feel drawn in enough to spend the hours needed to truly experience the world. Recently I started questioning whether I had the wrong perspective when playing the game, so I might play the series and finish it - eventually.

On the other hand, I feel like lowering the challenge would cheapen the experience, though. I'm happy with the game being challenging despite not being for me. And I think that it's fine if a game requires the player to be good enough to experience it, as long as the game is clear about it before hand (that is, the consumer is informed about that before buying it).

The amount of times I died was literally >1000. It was ridiculous but I managed to finish it, and I would agree - the accomplishment of completing a section of the game somehow outweighed the rage that ensued in the next section...