D&D on MyGamer?

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
ImagoX, this is directed particularly at you, but also at anyone who'd like to join in.

Would anyone be interested in a forum based (still not sure how that works, but I'm sure we could figure it out) D&D game?

I've been looking for a way to play for a while now, and the subculture seems very ingrown and impervious to outsider penetration. I can't find a game in my geographical circles that I can commit to schedule-wise.

I'm trying to get a group going at work, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Anyhow, you're all a great bunch of guys and gals, and I just figured what better place to play than a gaming site.

I wish I could offer to DM, but I've never played, and I just dropped $50 on the player's handbook, I'm not about to spend another $50 on the DM's guide until I have some experience under my belt.

So, any takers? Volunteers to DM?

So you bought the D&D 3.5 ruleset? I haven't upgraded beyond 3.0 yet myself.

I might be interested in playing, and if it looks as though no one else can do it, I'll manage the game. I'm not that good at DM'ing, so I'd like to be a choice of last resort.

Well, to be fair, this is my first D&D book. So the 3.5 was the obvious choice.

Thanks for volunteering Scribe. Let's get a few more people willing to play, and then we'll see whether or not you have to DM.

BTW, do you know how message board RPGs work? Cause I sure don't. We may have to figure it out for ourselves. Try it out, see what works...

Not really sure how Forum games would work...perhaps we could use the chat room instead. If the DM strictly controls things like 'Initiative', it could work and be fairly fast-paced.

I read the article, and it wasn't particularly helpful. Basically, it said: It's up to you how you want to play!

I'd like to play this way: corporate story-telling mixed with trad. D&D rules. So, no DM, we all shape the story, but each player is responsible for his/her own character's contribution to the story. We should keep records of our stats, and make rolls accordingly.

Because there is no DM, we must also roll for the monsters and NPCs, as required. Honor system will be in place.

Should we start a new thread for the game in another section? What say you Scribe?

I checked the Wiki link, and it was informative. I'll also ask some of my friends who I still play in a group with about Play-By-Post.

I cast magic missile!

Sorry bro, but I'm stretched painfully thin right now between work, family, writing and here... I had to giove up my "real life" gaming group over a year ago (sniff). Besides, I'm probably not the guy you'd want in a group anyway... I've been playing RPGs for so long (I got my first D&D Basic Set in 1982, I kids you not) that I play for very specific reasons- specifically really in-depth role-playing that almost borders on interactive theatre at times... I've gone entire weeks in a game without rolling a single die. But good luck, though... :cookiemon

's cool, ImagoX.

The way it looks like it'll be shaping up, you never know, you may find yourself wanting to join in from time to time. You could even be some wandering peddler who keeps turning up in the course of the main characters' journey.

I'd be willing to give this a go.

I'll warn you I've never played D&D (mostly because my town is close-minded and shuns all things that could be categorized as "geeky", "dorky", etc. etc. Curses on them all.), but I'd like to try. I'll try to look some stuff up online so I can have a better base knowledge and actually know what's going on once this starts.

Meggo, you can probably just download a PDF of the player's handbook using a Peer 2 Peer filesharing client of your choice. You're sure to find a copy. You'll be relatively lost without it, and there won't be a DM to walk you through. Also, you'll need a character sheet, you can get PDFs of those directly from the D&D website. Just Google "D&D character sheet".

I have been wanting to get back into role playing so bad. I am having a hard time getting into a local group (they all play on Sundays which is my biggest day of work), so I would be more than willing to give this a go.